Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 AM
 
Location: England
307 posts, read 479,349 times
Reputation: 96

Advertisements

Alicenevada, you say most internet sources on JW's are biased.
Why don't you check out the Jehovah's Witnesses for Reform website.

And please don't state that your organisation, unlike other 'Fundamentalist' (whatever that's supposed to mean) Christians, is united with no divisions.....it ain't the truth at all. The only difference is that your members have to remain anonymous, or face the wrath of the Governing Body.

I found this website a breath of fresh air. Very respectful of JW's as a whole but acknowledging the need for change. Such a pity they cannot come out openly and discuss their misgivings, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Pleasant Shade Tn
2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
Alicenevada, you say most internet sources on JW's are biased.
Why don't you check out the Jehovah's Witnesses for Reform website.

And please don't state that your organisation, unlike other 'Fundamentalist' (whatever that's supposed to mean) Christians, is united with no divisions.....it ain't the truth at all. The only difference is that your members have to remain anonymous, or face the wrath of the Governing Body.

I found this website a breath of fresh air. Very respectful of JW's as a whole but acknowledging the need for change. Such a pity they cannot come out openly and discuss their misgivings, isn't it?
The only website I will visit for information on my faith is the official one. I feel the same way about most websites, not just JW affiliated ones. I don't trust Wikipedia much either.

Your negativity about Jehovah's Witnesses is obviously based on something personal and I'm sure you've discussed it with those in question. Therefore, I won't attempt to change your mind. I've been all over this country and am very secure in my feeling that we are a united people...a brotherhood. My cousin has visited Africa, Asia, and Europe as well. My best friend is a missionary in Nicaragua. My aunt lives in Japan. They keep in touch and I am so upbuilt by the fact that I can go anywhere and still feel that same sense of unity. People may differ in 'matters of conscience' and that is as it should be.

I see no need for a change, personally. And when I had doubts as a younger person,, I expressed them freely and openly with whomever I liked. I never got the feeling that I was 'repressed' or received discouragement for researching whatever I wanted. I've never seen any evidence of 'wrathful' retribution from the Governing Body, an idea that I can't help but find ludicrous. In my experience, those who speak against us are simply trying to validate a wrong course by picking on those who dissapprove of their actions. It's unfortunate, but it's inevitable in any religious group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 16,585,696 times
Reputation: 1009
Is there something on the 'official website' that speaks about how they came up with the name Jehovah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Pleasant Shade Tn
2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Is there something on the 'official website' that speaks about how they came up with the name Jehovah?

LOL. Let it rest ,renriq. Jehovah's Witnesses didnt come up w/ the name and you know it.

But, if you are interested, there is a brochure published the WTS that is called 'The Divine Name that Endures Forever'. It has alot of very interesting information in it and also contains tons of reference material for you to research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 16,585,696 times
Reputation: 1009
I just find it hard to believe that JW would use a name that was invented by people that JW don't believe are saved.

Do you have a link for the article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
LOL. Let it rest ,renriq. Jehovah's Witnesses didnt come up w/ the name and you know it.

But, if you are interested, there is a brochure published the WTS that is called 'The Divine Name that Endures Forever'. It has alot of very interesting information in it and also contains tons of reference material for you to research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Pleasant Shade Tn
2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I just find it hard to believe that JW would use a name that was invented by people that JW don't believe are saved.

Do you have a link for the article?
It's not an article; it's a brochure. You can contact your local Kingdom Hall for it. They'll be happy to bring you one or you can go to there and get one for yourself, free of charge.

I've mentioned before that JW don't believe we are the only ones who are 'saved'. Even the official website states this:

Questions Often Asked by Interested People - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

Calm down guys, that's the ONLY link I will ever supply for info on my faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 16,585,696 times
Reputation: 1009
How do JW's feel about Catholics or the Catholic church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
It's not an article; it's a brochure. You can contact your local Kingdom Hall for it. They'll be happy to bring you one or you can go to there and get one for yourself, free of charge.

I've mentioned before that JW don't believe we are the only ones who are 'saved'. Even the official website states this:

Questions Often Asked by Interested People - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

Calm down guys, that's the ONLY link I will ever supply for info on my faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Pleasant Shade Tn
2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
How do JW's feel about Catholics or the Catholic church?
Hmmm, that's a loaded question. I don't agree w/ the emphasis on 'tradition' most Catholics place on their beliefs. I don't agree w/ many of the doctrines presented at their churches. But as for Catholics, I like them. And as for the churches, they're pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:35 AM
 
Location: England
307 posts, read 479,349 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
The only website I will visit for information on my faith is the official one. I feel the same way about most websites, not just JW affiliated ones. I don't trust Wikipedia much either.

Your negativity about Jehovah's Witnesses is obviously based on something personal and I'm sure you've discussed it with those in question. Therefore, I won't attempt to change your mind. I've been all over this country and am very secure in my feeling that we are a united people...a brotherhood. My cousin has visited Africa, Asia, and Europe as well. My best friend is a missionary in Nicaragua. My aunt lives in Japan. They keep in touch and I am so upbuilt by the fact that I can go anywhere and still feel that same sense of unity. People may differ in 'matters of conscience' and that is as it should be.

I see no need for a change, personally. And when I had doubts as a younger person,, I expressed them freely and openly with whomever I liked. I never got the feeling that I was 'repressed' or received discouragement for researching whatever I wanted. I've never seen any evidence of 'wrathful' retribution from the Governing Body, an idea that I can't help but find ludicrous. In my experience, those who speak against us are simply trying to validate a wrong course by picking on those who dissapprove of their actions. It's unfortunate, but it's inevitable in any religious group.
Oh, Alicenevada, you are in complete and utter denial about your organisation. Of course you won't look at the website I suggested.....the WT is frequently full of warnings about that.

The reason you are so ignorant about what exactly has gone on in the WT&BTS in recent years is because of this closed mindset. No wonder they don't want any JW's to read what is out there.
You knew of course, (all documented) that JW's, far from shunning the that infidel, the United Nations, actually was in there for some years, and never told a soul. Until of course it came to light, and they had to admit to it......they said it was for research.
They are also now a multibillion dollar concern, and have become as bloated as the RC church they so despise. It's so funny.
The organisation also has a major problem with child abuse. This is ALL documented and on the web.
It is an absolute scandal that they refuse to co-operate with the police and have their own cabals behind closed doors. But apparently court cases are in the offing.....the truth will out in the end.
I'm glad you have a close relationship with your brothers and sisters....this is how it should be and is for millions of Christians all round the world.

Yes, of course I have a personal problem with the organisation. Years ago, when I was having a book study, I asked what would happen to all the starving and mentally ill at Armegeddon. My 'mentor' said that the bible is clear only those hearing 'the message' would be saved. He was very dogmatic. Later, I asked an elder if I could have a different person to study with (rather than this man, who also was an elder)....the upshot was I was called to a meeting with just me sitting in chair in the KH surrounded by three elders....and virtually interrogated......I remember it to this day. It was a horrible experience.
Kid yourself all you like, but you are not kidding anyone else.

I now have to go and get the meal ready....will be back tonight, sometim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Pleasant Shade Tn
2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
Oh, Alicenevada, you are in complete and utter denial about your organisation. Of course you won't look at the website I suggested.....the WT is frequently full of warnings about that.

The reason you are so ignorant about what exactly has gone on in the WT&BTS in recent years is because of this closed mindset. No wonder they don't want any JW's to read what is out there.
You knew of course, (all documented) that JW's, far from shunning the that infidel, the United Nations, actually was in there for some years, and never told a soul. Until of course it came to light, and they had to admit to it......they said it was for research.
They are also now a multibillion dollar concern, and have become as bloated as the RC church they so despise. It's so funny.
The organisation also has a major problem with child abuse. This is ALL documented and on the web.
It is an absolute scandal that they refuse to co-operate with the police and have their own cabals behind closed doors. But apparently court cases are in the offing.....the truth will out in the end.
I'm glad you have a close relationship with your brothers and sisters....this is how it should be and is for millions of Christians all round the world.

Yes, of course I have a personal problem with the organisation. Years ago, when I was having a book study, I asked what would happen to all the starving and mentally ill at Armegeddon. My 'mentor' said that the bible is clear only those hearing 'the message' would be saved. He was very dogmatic. Later, I asked an elder if I could have a different person to study with (rather than this man, who also was an elder)....the upshot was I was called to a meeting with just me sitting in chair in the KH surrounded by three elders....and virtually interrogated......I remember it to this day. It was a horrible experience.
Kid yourself all you like, but you are not kidding anyone else.

I now have to go and get the meal ready....will be back tonight, sometim.
I have to disagree. I think most people who speak to me know that I have no inkling of doubt as to my beliefs and I don't think I present myself as a brainwashed individual. As far as my being in denial, anyone who knows my inherited sense of pride would have to laugh. I refuse to take anything at face value. And though the scriptures do warn us against associating w/ apostates, sometimes it is impossible to avoid them. I'm aware of the Watchtower articles that are sadly taken out of context in defense of these ones and I have no problem referencing the articles...the hard copies, mind you. I think MOST people know how misleading websites can be and how many things are depicted as 'fact' when they are not.

I've never been taught to 'shun the infidel' but I am aware of the WTS affiliation w/ the United Nations. If you choose to think ill of them instead of believing their defense (which we received in the form of a letter at our congregation meetings and was NEVER hidden), that is your choice.

Child abuse is sad and exists in ALL walks of life and ALL organizations. I know facts about some of these cases that the media hides and this is not something I'm willing to discuss. There's been so much lying and rediculous accusations that I have suffered alot of heartache due to it. But I came out stronger and firmer in my faith due to that heartache. The fact that is jumped upon by the media when it comes to Jehovah's people, only proves to me what a name for ourselves we have made for being different.

Please don't talk down to me as if I am a child. That's hurtful. And you seem to forget that the negativity you convey is towards my family that I love. You would be defensive too, I assure you. You had a bad experience w/ a person or people; we all do. But to put down an entire group due to that experience and to actively search for more negativity online to reinforce your feelings, seems very close-minded to me. If you're certain we are in the wrong, why do you bother doing the research against us? Why not just let it go at that? Are you still trying to convince yourself? And when you do find this 'online' info, do you research that to find out if it's true? Or are you satisfied w/ the knowledge that others share your bad opinion and therefore, it must be true?

I'm truly sorry if you feel my attitude as been that of someone who takes their beliefs flippantly enough to 'kid' people. Looking back, I just don't see that at all.

Last edited by alicenevada; 10-23-2008 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top