Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:37 AM

206 posts, read 528,986 times

Advertisements

I feel led by the Holy Spirit and have been spiritually fed at a particular church. I recently moved 2 hours away from the church and would like to hear others thoughts and opinions on how far they would be willing to travel to a church, verses attending a nearby church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 01:20 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,859,963 times
100 miles one way is a long way to drive to church. With today's gas prices, I'd look locally. I'm sure you could find a Spirit filled church closer to home. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Thanks!

I have found a local church, but i would like to be somewhere that i am being spiritually fed. I am sorta still in the early stages of my walk with God and i need to be at a church where i can learn alot more.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:49 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,925 times
well i drive 2 hours each way to work 5 days a week,so i guess if i felt it that important i'd do it,but thats just me.Its really something you need to decide for yourself.If its that important to you i guess you will,if not i guess you wont.I wouldnt critisize you either way.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,471 times
We are called to be good stewarts of what God has given us, time, talents and material possessions. I can't help but believe that spending 4 hours each time you go to church is time that could be used in some activity that would honor that command. Ask the pastor at the church where you are being fed to recommend a church, in the area where you now live, that teaches the same way. I don't think any pastor would not honor that kind of request.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:58 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,500 times
Jesus is everywhere. I would not travel more than 10 miles.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:06 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
Phoebe, sometimes we get too attached to the members in our church to the point that we think we have to be with them in order to have a meaningful worship hour on Sunday morning..He told us that wherever we are gathered together in his name that he would be among us..

I pray that He will show you a local place of worship where you will find like minded believers and meet your new brothers and sisters

Old 10-20-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Thanks!

I've been trying to make the decision for awhile now and i just wanted to hear some other christians advice on the subject.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 AM

483 posts, read 1,561,232 times
We drive 45 minutes one way to church, I think it all depends on the person. Yes you could be doing other activities during the drive time and yes it is said that where 2 or 3 are gathered that he will be there, but I feel that God will lead you wherever he thinks you should be. If you feel passionately about being in your old church then by all means make the drive! Just remember that your faith should be put in God, not in people around us, and that your decision should be based on God and not who you go to church with. Good luck and God bless!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebecressy1 View Post
I feel led by the Holy Spirit and have been spiritually fed at a particular church. I recently moved 2 hours away from the church and would like to hear others thoughts and opinions on how far they would be willing to travel to a church, verses attending a nearby church.
Hmmmm....good question. I will travel to the ends of the earth!

But that said....one must examine why they attend church. Is it for the Lord or some other reason such as fellowship, they like the music better, they adore the 'pastor's wife', or their preacher left and is now preaching at another church so the congregation goes, too.

Me, I go for the Lord only. Fellowship is fine but not required. Wether there are a thousand members or just me...church is church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity