Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 02:48 PM

23,029 posts, read 34,446,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
What you're stating is the first step of repentance.

When they asked him what must I do to be SAVED

He didnt say "ask for forgiveness, and make Me your Lord and Savior."
John 3:16 does not say be baptized and you will not perish.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 10-21-2008 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 02:48 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,588,140 times
Quote:
Isn't water baptism part of repentance?
Right, which is in turn part of dedicating oneself to God.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:51 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,575,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Baptism is simply a symbol of the dedication we make to God in our heart. An outward manifestation of an inward quality. Without making the dedication first in our hearts, the physical act of baptism means nothing.
If this were simply symbolic it would not be required.

We publicly profess our faith every Sunday and at other times. We must [in all churches with infant baptism] affirm our own baptism to the church. I disagree with the standard approach of doing it at a certain age - and I actually rebelled and was not "confirmed" until I was an adult because I could not make that committment at 13 but I could at 19 and did not want to go through any motions because it was expected. But don't tell me those same pressures to be baptized are not on older baptist kids because they are [I had a family full of them]

Old 10-21-2008, 02:52 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,609,158 times
Indeed the chapter does although I know you weren't meaning to say that.

I hope you know what it means to 'believe in Him'.

Read verse 5

3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
9Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
10Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
11Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
12If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
John 3:16 does say be baptized and you will not perish.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,575,831 times
Quote:
I think 'unbaptized Christian' is kind of an oxymoron. I don't think a person who has no desire to symbolize their dedication to God thru water baptism could truly call himself a Christian. Do you?
Yes, if they were ALREADY baptized! And have affirmed their faith and believe in ONE baptism. It is not symbolic for some of us and we were not dedicated as infants we were baptized. It is a different paradigm and a paradigm supported by the historical [at least known for sure since the 2nd century] behavior of the church, including those [e.g., Assyrian] which were not part of the Eastern Orthodox/Roman Catholic progression! ie ithe practice of infant baptism in the Christian Church well preceded the pope.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:56 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,609,158 times
Two parts when they asked Jesus.

What must I do to be saved?

Repent and be Baptized.

Infants can do neither as they have no choice to do either one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Yes, if they were ALREADY baptized! And have affirmed their faith and believe in ONE baptism. It is not symbolic for some of us and we were not dedicated as infants we were baptized. It is a different paradigm.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:00 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,588,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
If this were simply symbolic it would not be required.

We publicly profess our faith every Sunday and at other times. We must [in all churches with infant baptism] affirm our own baptism to the church. I disagree with the standard approach of doing it at a certain age - and I actually rebelled and was not "confirmed" until I was an adult because I could not make that committment at 13 but I could at 19 and did not want to go through any motions because it was expected. But don't tell me those same pressures to be baptized are not on older baptist kids because they are [I had a family full of them]
Well, I think it's obvious that it's symbolic. We aren't LITERALLY washing our sins away. It's a symbol of our dedication...a required symbol, definitely.

I don't agree w/ the approach of doing things at a certain age either. I believe a person must come to an accurate knowledge of the scriptures first. I was rather young, about 12. My husband was 19.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Indeed the chapter does although I know you weren't meaning to say that.

I hope you know what it means to 'believe in Him'.

Read verse 5

3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
9Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
10Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
11Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
12If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world
No where does God's Word say if you're not baptized you will not enter Heaven. Being born of water and spirit in John 3:5 is referring to the cleansing action of God's Holy Spirit.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Well, I think it's obvious that it's symbolic. We aren't LITERALLY washing our sins away. It's a symbol of our dedication...a required symbol, definitely.

I don't agree w/ the approach of doing things at a certain age either. I believe a person must come to an accurate knowledge of the scriptures first. I was rather young, about 12. My husband was 19.
Yes, I agree with this.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:04 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,213,150 times
You can be baptized spiritually without going near the water, just like you can be circumcised spiritually if you're a sister in Christ.

Jesus commandment to repent and be baptized was the (only) way to fellowship with the Father through Jesus Christ. It has everything to do with dying to the old man, and little to do (except symbolism) with water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity