Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times

Advertisements

Are many young earth creationists here familiar with Kent Hovind's theories? I was listening to him and he says some pretty interesting stuff, but I also know he is a controversial character even within creationist circles. Before I was a believer, I immediately turned everything by this guy and AiG off, but now I am open to learning more about creation science. Any opinions on him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:50 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,457,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Are many young earth creationists here familiar with Kent Hovind's theories? I was listening to him and he says some pretty interesting stuff, but I also know he is a controversial character even within creationist circles. Any opinions on him?
You can probably write to him:

C/O
Kent Hovind
Edgefield Federal Correctional Facility
Edgefield, South Carolina

You can ask him about his charges of falsely declaring bankruptcy, making threats against federal officials, filing false complaints, failing to get necessary building permits, and various tax-related charges. He was also convicted of federal tax offenses and is serving a ten-year sentence.

Sounds like a real winner.

Kent Hovind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-13-2008, 03:46 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Oh, come on - be nice

I think the question was more about his creationist beliefs

It's already clear what he thinks of Uncle Sam

Old 11-13-2008, 06:36 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
You can probably write to him:

C/O
Kent Hovind
Edgefield Federal Correctional Facility
Edgefield, South Carolina

You can ask him about his charges of falsely declaring bankruptcy, making threats against federal officials, filing false complaints, failing to get necessary building permits, and various tax-related charges. He was also convicted of federal tax offenses and is serving a ten-year sentence.

Sounds like a real winner.

Kent Hovind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's true that Kent Hovind is in prison for tax evasion, but not for the reasons you think. Kent Hovind ia a good Christian but with a "terrible" weakness, his weakness is a big heart, so big that he gave all he could to people in need. He kept just the bare minimum for he and his family. He lived a meager lifestyle and it showed, many warned him, "to render under Caesar....." but he just wanted to help people well sadly it all caught up with him. I pray for him everyday.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 11-13-2008 at 06:51 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Are many young earth creationists here familiar with Kent Hovind's theories? I was listening to him and he says some pretty interesting stuff, but I also know he is a controversial character even within creationist circles. Before I was a believer, I immediately turned everything by this guy and AiG off, but now I am open to learning more about creation science. Any opinions on him?

AIG is awesome but it's not a scientific website, it's purpose is to show that the bible stories especially the book of Genesis is highly probable.

You should read the works of Ken Hamm from AIG especially the influence of atheism/ secularism on our society and shows how Gods way is the truth.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 11-13-2008 at 06:56 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 05:18 PM

174 posts, read 504,967 times
Kent Hovind is a powerful and energetic speaker. Unlike an above post seems to state, his reasons for not paying taxes and other beliefs are based on his convictions as a patriot. He was pretty firmly entrenched within the patriot movement. His points were valid, but as another mentioned, we are to render unto Caesar what is due, the Lord will provide to fill the void.

As for his teachings, many of his statements are factual. Carbon dating is faulty, fossilization doesn't take millions of years, etc. However, I find ample evidence in both the natural world as well as within Scripture that the age of this earth is far greater than the 6,000 years promulgated by the young-earth creationists. In addition, I find that that view was also held by the early church within the writings of Clement. Further of interest, they go a bit into detail regarding the previous earth age and the origins of the demonic realm.

In summary, I found his teachings helpful in dealing with some issues in dealing with detractors, but I find that they are not an accurate representation of the story of this world. As for the rest regarding his personal convictions towards the government, while I might not agree with his methods, I do agree with his points. I see a great love of the Father in him, and therefore cast no aspersions his way.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Kent Hovind is a powerful and energetic speaker. Unlike an above post seems to state, his reasons for not paying taxes and other beliefs are based on his convictions as a patriot. He was pretty firmly entrenched within the patriot movement. His points were valid, but as another mentioned, we are to render unto Caesar what is due, the Lord will provide to fill the void.

As for his teachings, many of his statements are factual. Carbon dating is faulty, fossilization doesn't take millions of years, etc. However, I find ample evidence in both the natural world as well as within Scripture that the age of this earth is far greater than the 6,000 years promulgated by the young-earth creationists. In addition, I find that that view was also held by the early church within the writings of Clement. Further of interest, they go a bit into detail regarding the previous earth age and the origins of the demonic realm.

In summary, I found his teachings helpful in dealing with some issues in dealing with detractors, but I find that they are not an accurate representation of the story of this world. As for the rest regarding his personal convictions towards the government, while I might not agree with his methods, I do agree with his points. I see a great love of the Father in him, and therefore cast no aspersions his way.
What scriptural references do you cite? Personally, I lean towards the 10,000-12,000 range. That would open up enough time for the historical records we have to not be disputed.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:45 PM

174 posts, read 504,967 times
Quote:
What scriptural references do you cite? Personally, I lean towards the 10,000-12,000 range. That would open up enough time for the historical records we have to not be disputed.
I assume you mean the 6,000 years I referenced. That figure has been cited by many who've taken the time to trace through the lineages. I personally don't think we have any idea how old the earth is. My feeling is that there was only a single earth age prior to this one, and that is the age in which Satan fell (recounted in Isaiah 14:12). But, my view is based solely upon the writings of the ante-Nicene church fathers, that verse in Isaiah and a handful of other verses from which I see the argument could be made.

Ultimately, we'll know the truth. Those who wish to be contentious in discussing a young earth vs. gap theory are just falling into another divisive argument which profits no one. Well, except for one, and we really shouldn't be looking to help him along any further.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I assume you mean the 6,000 years I referenced. That figure has been cited by many who've taken the time to trace through the lineages. I personally don't think we have any idea how old the earth is. My feeling is that there was only a single earth age prior to this one, and that is the age in which Satan fell (recounted in Isaiah 14:12). But, my view is based solely upon the writings of the ante-Nicene church fathers, that verse in Isaiah and a handful of other verses from which I see the argument could be made.

Ultimately, we'll know the truth. Those who wish to be contentious in discussing a young earth vs. gap theory are just falling into another divisive argument which profits no one. Well, except for one, and we really shouldn't be looking to help him along any further.
On the contrary, this is a very important topic because what else will we find confusing about Genesis, the flood? Did a man named Noah ever even exist? The entire Genesis is very, very important because without it the entire bible unravels.

The Bible is clear, it took 6 days for the creation. The world is 6,000 years old

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 11-14-2008 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,666 times
George Strait | Ocean Front Property lyrics

I've got some ocean front property in arizona
From my front porch you can see the sea
I've got some ocean front property in arizona
An if youll buy that Ill throw the golden gate in free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity