Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 08:43 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

President Bush said in a recent interview he doesn't take the Bible literally.

Breitbart.tv » Evangelicals Stunned by Bush’s Declaration on Bible’s Literal Truth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:33 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
This is no surprise, in fact in my liberal days I use to call some of the fundamentalist Christians, hypocrites for calling Bush a Christian and a man of God. Bush has always been this way yet many conservative Christians chose to look the other way. Bush believes many roads lead to God.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:32 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,750 times
This is much ado over nothing.

Before we get too heated up about this, we really need to define the word "literally" in reference to the Bible.

Some of the Bible writings are poetry and/or apocalyptic writings. While both styles of writing are true, they're not necessarily to be taken literally. It's emotive and flamboyant writing.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
This is much ado over nothing.

Before we get too heated up about this, we really need to define the word "literally" in reference to the Bible.

Some of the Bible writings are poetry and/or apocalyptic writings. While both styles of writing are true, they're not necessarily to be taken literally. It's emotive and flamboyant writing.
President Bush also says, that Allah is God of the bible, all roads lead to God. Yes President Bush is a universalist.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-12-2008 at 11:46 AM..

Old 12-12-2008, 03:45 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Ok... that's enough president bashing.

I would expect that a fundamentalist would know what the Bible says about speaking against our leaders... or maybe there's a legal loophole that you're going to inform me of that gives you the right to do so....

I'm sooooooo tired of all of the christians who have lined up with the world to criticize our president.

I sincerly believe that everyone should really pray about this and maybe take time to repent.

We are in the world but not of the world.

We are the salt of the earth... everything about our lives are to be different from people of the world.

A nation divided against itself will fall.

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-12-2008 at 04:20 PM..

Old 12-12-2008, 04:53 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post

I would expect that a fundamentalist would know what the Bible says about speaking against our leaders... or maybe there's a legal loophole that you're going to inform me of that gives you the right to do so....

I'm sooooooo tired of all of the christians who have lined up with the world to criticize our president.

I sincerly believe that everyone should really pray about this and maybe take time to repent.

We are the salt of the earth... everything about our lives are to be different from people of the world.

Quote:
1 Timothy 2:1-2

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
We are called to pray for our leaders. I dont believe God said not to be critical.

If the premise of Christians not being critical of leaders is followed, then who will speak against the presidents who call for the deaths of Christians in their countries?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post

Who's bashing President Bush. I am stating facts. The Christian conservatives should not have been calling him man of God when he was making such statements a few years ago.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:55 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
whatever

Old 12-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by world citizen View Post
whatever
lol

Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
there is a difference between criticism and bashing. And the president deserves a lot of criticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity