Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 06:42 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times

Advertisements

In our Bible study this morning we studied the 12th chapter of Romans. This particular verse attracted my attention...." Bless those who persecute you, bless and do not curse. verse 14 (NKJV)

I have never 'cursed' those who persecute me, but I have failed to bless them. I would like to do so now....anyone who has spoken ill of me, I wish to bless them. I want you to know, I do not feel any ill towards you, and I pray that God will bless you.

I bless you for keeping me on my toes, and helping me to work on improving my spiritual walk with Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:24 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,751,522 times
Red face I am crucified with Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
In our Bible study this morning we studied the 12th chapter of Romans. This particular verse attracted my attention...." Bless those who persecute you, bless and do not curse. verse 14 (NKJV)

I have never 'cursed' those who persecute me, but I have failed to bless them. I would like to do so now....anyone who has spoken ill of me, I wish to bless them. I want you to know, I do not feel any ill towards you, and I pray that God will bless you.

I bless you for keeping me on my toes, and helping me to work on improving my spiritual walk with Christ.
The Lord said, past experience those never made a mistake is not worthy. Praise God that he is such a wonderful merciful Father.

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live: yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify: and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city: knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
Galatians 2:20; Matthew 23:34; Romans 6:6-8; Galatians 5:11;
Matthew 27:38; Colossians 2:11

Last edited by Hoosier; 11-07-2008 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: fixing size problem

Old 11-03-2008, 08:53 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
I love the verse in Psalms that says, "a gentle word turns away wrath". When people are persecuting or just being unkind when they speak to you if you are just nice back they hardly know what to do with that. We want to jump up and defend ourselves and God can do that for us most times.
Satan also sure knows how to get our goat. We get so upset so quickly. We blame others and want our lives to run smooth. In a fallen world that just is not going to happen.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:19 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I love the verse in Psalms that says, "a gentle word turns away wrath". When people are persecuting or just being unkind when they speak to you if you are just nice back they hardly know what to do with that. We want to jump up and defend ourselves and God can do that for us most times.
Satan also sure knows how to get our goat. We get so upset so quickly. We blame others and want our lives to run smooth. In a fallen world that just is not going to happen.
You reminded me of some more scriptures.
Proverbs 16.23 and 24 The heart of the wise teaches his mouth, and adds learning to his lips, pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones. ( NKJV)

Proverbs 15.18 A wrathful man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger allays contention. ( NKJV)

Romans 12.20 is frequently quoted amongst my brethren:
Therefore " If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty; give him a drink; for in doing so you will heap coals of fire on his head." (NKJV)
Some use that to make jokes, but it is merely saying to do good to them, and it will cause them to be ashamed of themselves.

The previous verse is very good also, " Beloved, do not avenge yourself, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, " Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, " says the Lord. (Romans 12.19 NKJV)

I know all these...but I am afraid I sometimes let my emotions take over.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:29 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:

Hi Marianinark,

One of my oft used scriptures in the face of militant Christianity. If after 9/11 we went on world missions building schools, hospitals and churches where would we be now?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:55 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:

I echo this sentiment also - there is love among and between us.

Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. (Prov 27:17)

Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Lightbulb Satan Offense, Spiritual Warfare & Victory over the Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Hello and greetings to you

A very good friend told me that no one is at fault we just simply don't understand things that are different, it is a failure of communication, so we attempt to attack that is different than us, life is a mystery. But we know that there is a agitator, an adversary. Satan he is robbed us from our kingship we will get it back.

Matt 16:23 But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.
“Satan Offenseâ€
Offense itself is not deadly – if it stays in the tray. But if we pick it up and consume it and feed on it in our hearts, then we have become offense.
Offense people produce much fruit, such as anger, outrage, jealousy, resentment, Strife, bitterness, hatred, and envy. Some of the consequences of picking up an offense are insults, attacks, wounding, divisions, separation, wounding division, and broken relationships betrayal, and backsliding. Often those who offended do not even realize they are trapped. They are oblivions to their condition because they are so focused on wrong that was done to them. They are in denial. The most effective way for the enemy to blind us is to cause us to focus on ourselves.
Luke 17:1"It is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come!
Matt 18:6-7 Woe to the world because of offenses! For offenses must come, but woe to that man by whom the offense comes!
Matt 18:5-6 "But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
1 Cor. 8:1-13 Now concerning things offered to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies.
2 And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know.
3 But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him.
4 Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one.
5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords),
6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
7 However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.
8 But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.
9 But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.
10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols?
11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12 But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.
13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.
Luke 17:1 It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! Psalms 55:12-14 For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him:
13 But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance.
14 We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.
The Deceptive Trap
The Greek word for “offend†in Luke 17: 1 comes from the word skandalon.
Usage Notes:

English Words used in KJV: skandalon.
Offence 9
stumbling block 3
occasion of stumbling 1
occasion to fall 1
thing that offends 1
[Total Count: 15]

(“scandalâ€); probably from a derivative of <G2578> (kampto); a trap-stick (bent sapling), i.e. snare (figurative cause of displeasure or sin) :- occasion to fall (of stumbling), offence, thing that offends, stumblingblock.

This word originally referred to the part of the trap to which the bait was attached.
If it stays in the tray. Hence the word signifies laying a trap in someone’s way. In the New Testament it often describes an entrapment used by the enemy. Offense is a tool of the devil to bring people into captivity. Paul instructed young Timothy:

2 Tim 2:24-26 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:18 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Default great post, WordisOne...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
Hello and greetings to you

A very good friend told me that no one is at fault we just simply don't understand things that are different, it is a failure of communication, so we attempt to attack that is different than us, life is a mystery. But we know that there is a agitator, an adversary. Satan he is robbed us from our kingship we will get it back.

Matt 16:23 But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.
“Satan Offense”
Offense itself is not deadly – if it stays in the tray. But if we pick it up and consume it and feed on it in our hearts, then we have become offense.
Offense people produce much fruit, such as anger, outrage, jealousy, resentment, Strife, bitterness, hatred, and envy. Some of the consequences of picking up an offense are insults, attacks, wounding, divisions, separation, wounding division, and broken relationships betrayal, and backsliding. Often those who offended do not even realize they are trapped. They are oblivions to their condition because they are so focused on wrong that was done to them. They are in denial. The most effective way for the enemy to blind us is to cause us to focus on ourselves.
Luke 17:1"It is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come!
Matt 18:6-7 Woe to the world because of offenses! For offenses must come, but woe to that man by whom the offense comes!
Matt 18:5-6 "But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
1 Cor. 8:1-13 Now concerning things offered to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies.
2 And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know.
3 But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him.
4 Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one.
5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords),
6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
7 However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.
8 But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.
9 But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.
10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols?
11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12 But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.
13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.
Luke 17:1 It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! Psalms 55:12-14 For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him:
13 But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance.
14 We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.
The Deceptive Trap
The Greek word for “offend” in Luke 17: 1 comes from the word skandalon.
Usage Notes:

English Words used in KJV: skandalon.
Offence 9
stumbling block 3
occasion of stumbling 1
occasion to fall 1
thing that offends 1
[Total Count: 15]

(“scandal”); probably from a derivative of <G2578> (kampto); a trap-stick (bent sapling), i.e. snare (figurative cause of displeasure or sin) :- occasion to fall (of stumbling), offence, thing that offends, stumblingblock.

This word originally referred to the part of the trap to which the bait was attached.
If it stays in the tray. Hence the word signifies laying a trap in someone’s way. In the New Testament it often describes an entrapment used by the enemy. Offense is a tool of the devil to bring people into captivity. Paul instructed young Timothy:

2 Tim 2:24-26 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Amen.

I know we can all learn from the wisdom of these words.

God bless you!

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-03-2008 at 04:27 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Red face Praise be to God

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Amen.

I know we can all learn from the wisdom of these words.

God bless you!

The praise belongs to Jesus not me but thank you anyway

Last edited by Hoosier; 11-07-2008 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: fixing size problem. Cutting and pasting from Word causes this problem.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Amen to that!

But, you were the messenger...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity