Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 12:10 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,595,004 times

Advertisements

again it says 2 things that you're clearly missing

1. If someone announces that it is sacrificed to an idol

2. then you can't eat it.

Can't for whatever reasons still means CAN'T!

and here's God's letter to Ephesus

14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Why do you only read parts?? Look at the highlighted blue that clearly puts these verses into proper context. The concern is not with the person who eats the meat, but the observer who might think it is wrong.

Last edited by renriq02; 12-01-2008 at 12:21 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 12:37 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,068,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
from Acts

28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; 29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
Again, you take a snippet out of context and apply it incorrectly. Acts 15 is concerning Gentiles who are joining the church. Some were saying they must be circumcised and abide by the laws of Moses in order to be saved. There was a council to address the various issues and it was determined that no, the Gentiles did not need to be circumcised but that they would be given these 4 'rules' that date back to Noah, not Moses. They did not want Christian Gentiles being taught to follow the Law of Moses as a way to salvation but Jewish Christians still had some hang-ups surrounding the law. They needed to make something easy enough for the Gentiles (adult circumcision was determined to be too much a burden and unnecessary) but something the Jews would accept as well. IMO, this early set of dietary rules was clarified by later teachings and doctrine, including the verses in 1 Corinthians.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 PM

14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

Quote:
Again, you take a snippet out of context and apply it incorrectly. Acts 15 is concerning Gentiles who are joining the church. Some were saying they must be circumcised and abide by the laws of Moses in order to be saved. There was a council to address the various issues and it was determined that no, the Gentiles did not need to be circumcised but that they would be given these 4 'rules' that date back to Noah, not Moses. They did not want Christian Gentiles being taught to follow the Law of Moses as a way to salvation but Jewish Christians still had some hang-ups surrounding the law. They needed to make something easy enough for the Gentiles (adult circumcision was determined to be too much a burden and unnecessary) but something the Jews would accept as well. IMO, this early set of dietary rules was clarified by later teachings and doctrine, including the verses in 1 Corinthians.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
again it says 2 things that you're clearly missing

1. If someone announces that it is sacrificed to an idol

2. then you can't eat it.

Can't for whatever reasons still means CAN'T!

and here's God's letter to Ephesus

Seriously, you are one of the worst at picking and choosing that I have encountered in a while....do you not consider context AT ALL?? Again, there was a difference between participating in rituals and sacrificing to idols and buying meat in the market or going to someones house for dinner. The former was forbidden, the latter was allowed so long as it did not offend.

please go back to verse 25 and 26

Quote:
25Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, 26for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it
I can't figure out how you reconcile the thousands of seeming contradictions in the Bible if you refuse to read passages in their entirety and within the context of the entire Bible. All you can possibly do is pick what suits your beliefs and leave the rest....which others will point out as contradictions and make you to appear a fool.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Nice, so your 'instruction' includes repeating yourself, over and over again....without adding anything relevant.

I'm going to make sure to say an extra prayer for your wife....she surely needs the strength and endurance.

Uncle.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:53 PM

I'm sorry that I follow the word of God, and do not eat food that is sacrificed to idols.

I do not choose to participate in idolatry.

Either way this is another thread...and has nothing to do with the husband being the head of a wife.

You seem to want to argue about something that has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote:
Seriously, you are one of the worst at picking and choosing that I have encountered in a while....do you not consider context AT ALL?? Again, there was a difference between participating in rituals and sacrificing to idols and buying meat in the market or going to someones house for dinner. The former was forbidden, the latter was allowed so long as it did not offend.

please go back to verse 25

I can't figure out how you reconcile the thousands of seeming contradictions in the Bible if you refuse to read passages in their entirety and within the context of the entire Bible. All you can possibly do is pick what suits your beliefs and leave the rest....which others will point out as contradictions and make you to appear a fool.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
This topic came up in another thread regarding Ephesians 5:22-23, and I was wondering how do married christian women feel or think about submitting to your husbands? Do you take submission literally or you just avoid submitting to your husband altogether?
I am not a Christian either, but I willingly submit to my husband because I believe that is how it is supposed to be. Even a kingdom has only one ruler.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-01-2008, 12:55 PM

I do believe that you can eat what you want, but you're the one taking it out of context.

Of course I can eat a hamburger....but if someone tells me it was dedicated to Baal...then I can't eat it!

Quote:

please go back to verse 25 and 26

Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 PM

and I will for your husband.

Quote:
Nice, so your 'instruction' includes repeating yourself, over and over again....without adding anything relevant.

I'm going to make sure to say an extra prayer for your wife....she surely needs the strength and endurance.

Uncle.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry that I follow the word of God, and do not eat food that is sacrificed to idols.

I do not choose to participate in idolatry.

Either way this is another thread...and has nothing to do with the husband being the head of a wife.

You seem to want to argue about something that has nothing to do with the topic.
It became relevant when we started talking about interpretations. Unfortunately, yours is the only one you recognize as correct and so every topic is viewed through your lens of 'correctness', as if you have the only relevant interpretation of God's word. I know, you only follow Gods Word and anyone who disagrees with you must be following something else, the liberal feminist movement, society, recent history...whatever makes you feel better about being all knowing and having all the right answers, not only for yourself but your family and for strangers on message boards. I hope I am never as sure of myself as you are or I fear even God might not be able to teach me anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity