Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 PM

397 posts, read 1,025,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
unholiness or husband?

What if the husband is mundane but he says let's go to church...are you going to say NO because he's not godly and/or not holy?
This assumes the woman shares her husband's beliefs. For example, as an atheist, I would feel no need to submit to my husband and see our marriage as a partnership. Even though my husband is Christian, he takes the same approach.

However, I was curious as to what, in your opinion, the responsibility of a Christian husband is in that kind of scenario. As I see it, in order to live out his duty as head of the household, his wife/children have to play along. But what if he is married to someone who is not religious? How would you characterize his duties regarding head of household, especially
spiritual head of household then?

Not trying to pick a fight here - obviously, as an atheist, and you a Christian, we do not agree on this head of household business. But, I am genuinely curious about how you think a Christian, in your view, is to approach such a situation.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:35 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,183 times
I think that submission is a very powerful gift that is given (hopefully) by both parties in a marriage.

My Uncle, an ordained minister and a professor at a Christian College explained it this way. And this is not quoted word for word.

The wife holds the power and she chooses to submit (ex, let her husband have the final say), thus making the woman more powerful because her husband knows that she has chosen to let him have the last word. He knows that she does not have to and that she probably won't agree to everything he says, but he will (or at least should) appreciate that she has chosen to give him such power.

In my house, even though my husband is not a Christian, I do submit to my husband. But as was stated earlier in this thread, not in the way a dog submits to its master, but in the way that a spouse submits to their spouse. We discuss all decisions and I trust my husband's judgement to make the best decision not only for himself but for the whole family. I know that my husband is a strong and loving man and that he cares about what is good for all of us, not just himself.

If I did not trust my husband to be the head of my household I would not have married him. I would not have committed the rest of my life to marriage and submission to him. He is a very wise and gentle man and until he goes mad, I will continue to let him lead. And yes I am LETTING him lead me, but he is leading me none-the-less.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:47 PM

904 posts, read 687,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
This assumes the woman shares her husband's beliefs. For example, as an atheist, I would feel no need to submit to my husband and see our marriage as a partnership. Even though my husband is Christian, he takes the same approach.
Yes, the context of my reply was in the assumption of 2 people joined by God.
Quote:
However, I was curious as to what, in your opinion, the responsibility of a Christian husband is in that kind of scenario. As I see it, in order to live out his duty as head of the household, his wife/children have to play along. But what if he is married to someone who is not religious? How would you characterize his duties regarding head of household, especially
To submit to the Father, and be instructed by the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
Not trying to pick a fight here - obviously, as an atheist, and you a Christian, we do not agree on this head of household business. But, I am genuinely curious about how you think a Christian, in your view, is to approach such a situation.
Imo, a mixed belief marriage would not be in accordance with being equally yoked, so it would not apply to them.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:48 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,585,696 times
Can't clean a fish that hasn't been caught...

How can we tell a nonChristian to submit when she wont agree with the fundamentals of Christianity (Jesus Christ)

I never try to have a person do 'Christian things' when they haven't given their life to Jesus.

Jesus will lead you to do the correct things, but first you must give your life to Him.

Some women submit to their husband because that's the way they were raise. (that's a different kind of submission)

Submission needs to be done because we love Jesus...not because the husband is perfect.

Quote:

Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOBama View Post
Yes, the context of my reply was in the assumption of 2 people joined by God.

To submit to the Father, and be instructed by the Holy Spirit.

Imo, a mixed belief marriage would not be in accordance with being equally yoked, so it would not apply to them.
Thanks for the answer. I thought that was very insightful.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Can't clean a fish that hasn't been caught...

How can we tell a nonChristian to submit when she wont agree with the fundamentals of Christianity (Jesus Christ)

I never try to have a person do 'Christian things' when they haven't given their life to Jesus.

Jesus will lead you to do the correct things, but first you must give your life to Him.

Some women submit to their husband because that's the way they were raise. (that's a different kind of submission)

Submission needs to be done because we love Jesus...not because the husband is perfect.
While we obviously disagree, nevertheless thank you for the answer.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:14 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,221 times
Has anyone read the handbook on submission, The Surrendered Wife? It offers a very interesting perspective on the benefits and "techniques" of surrendering, which could be interchangeable with submitting.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:09 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,656 times
Quote:

The epistles were written to Christians. They were not written to athiests.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:53 PM

27 posts, read 12,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I think what you are missing here is that it isn't your job to tell your wife to submit. If you and she believe God commands that wives should submit to their husbands according to Ephesians 5:22 then fine, but read it again, He isn't talking to you, He is talking to your wife and whether or not she submits is an issue between HER and GOD, not her and you.
We men have such brittle egos, it's IMPORTANT for us to think we're in charge of the entire world, let alone in the home. But deep down, we realise this is a delusion, albeit a comforting one. Women who go along with this charade for the sake of domestic harmony are probably the really clever ones.

Gem.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:26 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:

As a christian man, the bible says in 1Corinthians 7:12-15 that if a christian man has a wife who is not a believer and she is happy to live with him, he should not divorce her. And if a woman who has a husband who is not a believer and he is happy to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified because of the wife, and the unbelieving wife because of her husband. Otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy. But if the unbeliever wants a divorce, let it take place. In these circumstances the brother or sister is not bound. God has called you in peace.

With all of that said, it would be very hard for me to be married to an athiest because it would be hard for me not to give my God his due honor and glory in front of her when she wouldn't understand or find my honoring God ridiculous and maybe a waste of time. Since I see the bible as my sole authority to lead my life, I would find it difficult to be married to a non-religious woman or an athiest who doesn't agree with the bible. I could see when it came down to some major decisions how my beliefs would conflict with hers, especially if the decision I had to make could end up my compromising my faith or beliefs to make her happy.

My wife trusts the decisions I make, and we do make many financial decisions together. I have never just made any major decisions without first, praying to God about, and two including my wife in the decision process. A godly man will not exclude his wife from any major decisions. But in my case, I am the sole bread winner, and typically my wife is comfortable with any major decisions I make. Our marriage is a partnership too, but with the only exception that my wife knows that the final decision still falls on me, because she respects my head of the household role, and doesn't feel or think that she has to sit back and be idle on any major decision that may come our way.

My wife uses her own credit cards as well as we have joint accounts. When it comes to major purchases I come to her and she comes to me so that we can both make the right decision on it. When it comes down to it, what ever decision we make together, we are doing it as a couple so that it's the best decison for our family and for both of us as a whole. What I love about my wife is that sometimes I may want to do something, and she will say, honey did you think about this or that, and I think that's what makes a marriage strong and good when both couples can be in the decision process. I strongly believe that if you want your marriage to work both couples have to each give 100%. There is no 50-50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity