Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
So? If you want to really understand the Bible, you have to really understand the contexts and cultures in which it was written. Picking and choosing phrases out of context can be misleading and completely twist the writer's original intent. Define "father." Define "son." Now is that how the original hearers of the Word defined them? When you jumped on the "I am God's Son" statment Jesus made as proof of him "correcting" the Jews, you showed your ignorance of what that statement would mean to first century Jews. You presupposed what you wanted it to mean. All you have to do is do a word study on "son" in the Bible to see the many different ways its used.
That is exactly how I feel. I feel that the fact that the trinity doctrine was not accepted until quite some time after the establishment of the Christian Congregationis quite 'telling'. Also, the fact that it was so heavily debated at the council of Nacaea. I feel that the majority of Christendom today, has 'presupposed' itself to incoherence.

No ammount of 'reasoning' on your part would convince me that Jesus is God. I pray to Jehovah, the God of Abraham. The God that Jesus himself prayed to and the one he referred to when the devil tried to tempt him. Exclusive devotion belongs to that one. I've been studying the bible for my entire life and there is not one verse that would make me do otherwise.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I
This is why the Jews were mad because if you are formed by God through His Holy Spirit then you are claiming to be GOD!

Sounds reasonable to me. They obviously had preconceived notions...sounds familiar.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:35 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,894 times
did the teachings of Jehovah Witnesses come after these doctrines or before?

what independent resources do you have that show you are correct, and these guys arent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
That is exactly how I feel. I feel that the fact that the trinity doctrine was not accepted until quite some time after the establishment of the Christian Congregationis quite 'telling'. Also, the fact that it was so heavily debated at the council of Nacaea. I feel that the majority of Christendom today, has 'presupposed' itself to incoherence.

No ammount of 'reasoning' on your part would convince me that Jesus is God. I pray to Jehovah, the God of Abraham. The God that Jesus himself prayed to and the one he referred to when the devil tried to tempt him. Exclusive devotion belongs to that one. I've been studying the bible for my entire life and there is not one verse that would make me do otherwise.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
did the teachings of Jehovah Witnesses come after these doctrines or before?

what independent resources do you have that show you are correct, and these guys arent?
We follow the teachings of Christ. Everything else we do or believe is based on our knowledge of the early Christian congregation.

The second question is too silly to even address. The bible should be all we need to prove that. And as you know, unless I was specifically asked to do otherwise, I will always refer you to the bible in my responses.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 AM

but your bible has been translated many times

this is why i wrote 'independent'

I use different versions of the bible, and of course the concordance.

I believe JWs only use one version...plus their commentaries

Quote:
We follow the teachings of Christ. Everything else we do or believe is based on our knowledge of the early Christian congregation.

The second question is too silly to even address. The bible should be all we need to prove that. And as you know, unless I was specifically asked to do otherwise, I will always refer you to the bible in my responses.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:48 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Ive never thought of them as either christian or non-christian.

More as an annoyance when they come knocking on my front door and wont go away.

594 posts, read 1,043,956 times
Quote:
I feel that the fact that the JW cult was not created until almost two millenia after the Christian Congregations quite "telling" as well. It's also quite "telling" that the JW grew out of the Second Great Awakening, when restorationism was the flavor of the day. The Trinity doctrine has been studied, challenged, and debated for 1700 years, over ten times as long as JW have been around. I'll stick with the Council of Nicea.

Quote:
but your bible has been translated many times

this is why i wrote 'independent'

I use different versions of the bible, and of course the concordance.

I believe JWs only use one version...plus their commentaries
Then you believe wrong. Jehovah's Witnesses prior to 1950 used the King James Version almost exclusively. Since then, we enjoy our modern english translation but realize that many people are hesitant to use it since it is published by The Wathchtower Society. Therefore, and as I've mentioned on several occasions, we use many different versions of the bible in our ministry and are happy to offer references outside of our organization when need be. I love my spiritual library however and all the Watchtower publications I have are dear to my heart.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
I feel that the fact that the JW cult was not created until almost two millenia after the Christian Congregations quite "telling" as well. It's also quite "telling" that the JW grew out of the Second Great Awakening, when restorationism was the flavor of the day. The Trinity doctrine has been studied, challenged, and debated for 1700 years, over ten times as long as JW have been around. I'll stick with the Council of Nicea.
Jehovah's Witnesses, as a legal organization, have only been around since the 1800's, yes. But we feel we are an extension of the early Christian Congregation and God's chosen organization on earth.

If it's taught in the bible, it shouldnt be THAT difficult to understand. Debated for 1700 years? WHY? Doesnt that seem very incompatible with a God who is 'not one of disorder, but of peace?'

Old 12-30-2008, 11:53 AM

well at least someone who believes in something is going door-to-door

it's funny that they dont believe in hell and they go door to door (for other reasons)

many Christians believe in hell yet they dont go door to door to rescue people from hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Ive never thought of them as either christian or non-christian.

More as an annoyance when they come knocking on my front door and wont go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity