Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 07:17 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
well at least someone who believes in something is going door-to-door

it's funny that they dont believe in hell and they go door to door (for other reasons)

many Christians believe in hell yet they dont go door to door to rescue people from hell.
No, we're smarter than that. We tell you what book to look it up in. Then its up to you to read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
Acts 20:20-'while I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.'
Ive never read anything about the Lord showing up at a stranger's doorstep and waking them up at 8 am handing out pamplets and trying to talk their way in past my front door, telling me that, basically, nobody but Jehovah's Witnesses are going to get into Heaven and there is limited space even for them.

Sorry, I dont buy that, especially at 8 am, and if they show up again Im just going to let the dog scare the crap out of them through the window.

If the good Lord wants to tell me something, He'll do it in a way He knows I'll pick up on real quick.How do I know? He's done it before.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:32 AM

594 posts, read 1,043,956 times
Quote:
I'm baffled. How on earth could someone 'err' on the side of peace? What is the flaw in that?
It's a figure of speech.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 AM

594 posts, read 1,043,956 times
Quote:
It is no longer necessary according to the fact that the old law was done away with
It was?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:26 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
So, do Jehovah Witnesses believe that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins?
Yes, he died upon a stake to save us from our sins. It was a horrible death for him, one usually reserved for criminals. I don't think it was a cross...I believe it was more an upright stake or pole. But I believe the answer to your question is mostly 'yes'.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
No, we're smarter than that. We tell you what book to look it up in. Then its up to you to read it.

Ive never read anything about the Lord showing up at a stranger's doorstep and waking them up at 8 am handing out pamplets and trying to talk their way in past my front door, telling me that, basically, nobody but Jehovah's Witnesses are going to get into Heaven and there is limited space even for them.

Sorry, I dont buy that, especially at 8 am, and if they show up again Im just going to let the dog scare the crap out of them through the window.

If the good Lord wants to tell me something, He'll do it in a way He knows I'll pick up on real quick.How do I know? He's done it before.
The Lord and his apostles went wherever people could be found and yes, this also involved going door to door. No, the time they visited was not written in the bible but they were certainly unwelcome at times. We don't mind if they didnt mind. The apostles were actually ORDERED to stop preaching publicly and they refused. I think, honestly, you make us far more 'tenacious' by your description than we actually are. I have been going out in the ministry since I was born and I have never been with ANYONE who tried to push their way into someone's house or continued to pester someone after being told 'I'm not interested'. It is difficult to deal with people who feel the need to be extremely rude due to their morning being interrupted. But that doesnt happen all that often.

Last edited by alicenevada; 01-02-2009 at 08:07 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
It was?
Yes, when Christ died, the old law covenant was replaced and hangs on the principles and teachings of Christ as well as the two laws that encompassed all others, namely: 'Love God with your whole mind, heart, soul, and strength', and 'love your neighbor as yourself'.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
The Lord and his apostles went wherever people could be found and yes, this also involved going door to door. No, the time they visited was not written in the bible but they were certainly unwelcome at times. We don't mind if they didnt mind. The apostles were actually ORDERED to stop preaching publicly and they refused. I think, honestly, you make us far more 'tenacious' by your description than we actually are. I have been going out in the ministry since I was born and I have never been with ANYONE who tried to push their way into someone's house or continued to pester someone after being told 'I'm not interested'. It is difficult to deal with people who feel the need to be extremely rude due to their morning being interrupted. But that doesnt happen all that often.
Then I must have gotten ahold of a couple of really pushy ones. I wasnt rude at first. But when they kept yapping after I said 'not interested' then I lost my patience, especially when I tried to close the door and one of them made to stick a foot out to stop me.
It was also their claim that only Jehovah's Witnesses were going to Heaven that made me shut the door.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Then I must have gotten ahold of a couple of really pushy ones. I wasnt rude at first. But when they kept yapping after I said 'not interested' then I lost my patience, especially when I tried to close the door and one of them made to stick a foot out to stop me.
It was also their claim that only Jehovah's Witnesses were going to Heaven that made me shut the door.
I know this is the way you remember it but are you SURE? If a Witness made a move to stick out their foot, they definitely had temperament problems. That is unfortunate. I have a bad temper as well but no matter how rude someone is at the door, I've never lost mine. So again, I apologize for their impertinence.

If they claimed only Jehovah's Witnesses were going to heaven, that is completely untrue. Jehovah's Witnesses as you know them,have only been in existence since the 1800's. There were many people raised to heavenly life before that time, including Jesus' own apostles. So that was probably a misunderstanding on your part. It could be that they were making the claim that God called people his 'witnesses' in the bible. That is a biblical term and where we got the name that we go by...but bearing that name is by no means a free pass to heaven. I personally have no desire to go to heaven. My hope is to live on the paradise earth that the bible speaks about in Isaiah 11:6-9.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,203 times
Colddiamond102, what those JW's told you was exactly what they believe as instructed by their Watchtower. Since the JW's came along the scene in the 1800's, they have taught that only JW's, from that point on, have the hope of going to heaven. Even then only select JW's are supposed to go to heaven. Since 1935 the majority of JW's were not supposed to go to heaven, but live on a paradise earth.

Those JW's may have been pushy, but they were telling you exactly what they believe, unlike the majority of JW's who are taught to mislead people concerning their beliefs.

The Watchtower organization does extensive training for their members, and some of that training is learning how to deflect the questions, how to change the subject, and in some cases how to purposefully manipulate.

They have a book that tells them what to say when various questions are raised at the doors..

Old 01-02-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
They have a book that tells them what to say when various questions are raised at the doors..
I'm not going to even address the other things you said since I already have MANY times. *sigh* I'm sure Colddiamond can go back over our previous discussion at his leisure.

But I will say that it's odd that you made that last statement. Baptists are the most common denomination in our area (and I understand that is your faith of choice). Last week, a friend from work told my husband that they had a seminar starting this month about Jehovah's Witnesses and what to say to them when they come to their door. And yes, there was a textbook in the class and he even showed him the little booklet that came along with it. The title? 'What To Say To Jehovah's Witnesses When They Come to Your Door'. Maybe your church doesnt do that. But there are plenty that do. So let's not cast stones...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity