Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
1. They re-edited their older literature to give the appearance they never taught something in the past.

2 Purposefully leaving out older quotes from their literature on their website which could prove them wrong.

3. Lying about their former beliefs concerning the 1914 generation.

4. Not consisently rendering the greek and hebrew words in their bible, despite chastizing other bible versions for the same thing.

Need I go further?
Again, so if all of their literature is falsified and they all lie, then I should take your word for it? That doesn't make any sense! Tell me, what is the purpose for this bait and switch trick?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:43 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,332 times
The purpose is to get you to become a JW.

If they truthfully told people what they believed up front, nobody in their right mind would join the JW's. The problem is they try to hide things about their religion and they use the bait and switch tactic to lure people in.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
Yes, and there is more to it than that lovethetruth. They count the hours that they preach, and now it has come to the Internet. They are almost required to get a certain amount of hours in each month, and the more hours you get the better you look to the elders and your JW friends. If you don't get any hours in you will have someone talking to you about your lack of service to Jehovah, and you may even have friends not talking to you. The same will happen if you don't go to meetings. These things are important not only to get new members but to keep the brainwashing up. You go to meetings to be brainwashed, you talk with pagans about what you have learned to get the brainwashing going, and if anyone tries to change you mind you walk away. I am amazed that they even read our posts here. This would have not been good many years ago.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:38 PM

Well it is surprising at first, but considering the fact that the internet has become a strong media outlet, they have to do this. If they are talking to you one on one, they definitely would turn around and leave, but in a situation like the internet, they feel compelled to defend their religion.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:20 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeklonia View Post
In my country, the Jehovah's witnesses (I heard) would put "Christian" as their religion in their ID card, but most Christians here do not acknowledge them as Christian. What do you think?
I think that if Jehovah's Witnesses believe themselves to be Christians, it's not my place to say otherwise. A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ, isn't it? Don't Jehovah's Witnesses follow Jesus Christ?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM

They claim to follow Jesus Christ, but in actuality they follow their organization. And if you really want to get technical, the JW's teach that Jesus is not the mediator between the average JW and God-- their faithful and discreet slave class is. They have replaced Jesus with a group of men.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
They claim to follow Jesus Christ, but in actuality they follow their organization. And if you really want to get technical, the JW's teach that Jesus is not the mediator between the average JW and God-- their faithful and discreet slave class is. They have replaced Jesus with a group of men.
I don't know. You could be right, but when it comes to learning about what the various religions in the world believe, I'm more confident about getting an accurate picture by asking a member of that religion himself than by asking someone who believes that religion to be false. In other words, if I wanted to learn about Judaism, I would go to a Jew, not a Muslim, for my information. If I wanted information on Catholicism, I'd expect to get more reliable information from a Catholic than from a Baptist. That's just something I've come to realize over the years.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:45 PM

True, if those people will tell you what they accurately believe. Jehovah's Witnesses aren't up front about what they believe,

Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
True, if those people will tell you what they accurately believe. Jehovah's Witnesses aren't up front about what they believe,
Why wouldn't they be? What would be their point in converting you if you were only going to find out "the truth" after you'd joined them? You'd just leave and they'd be right back to where they started.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Why wouldn't they be? What would be their point in converting you if you were only going to find out "the truth" after you'd joined them? You'd just leave and they'd be right back to where they started.
Not necessarily, you see they coach you along slowly but surely. By the time they have finished studying with you over a period of a year or two, you are pretty much in agreement with what they teach. Also after they have studied with you for awhile, they will have basically turned you against your former religion, and all religions for that matter, so you really wouldn't have nowhere else to go.

Another thing to consider is that once you've joined them, you can't leave them and still keep your friendships intact.

It is a very complicated religion, much different than your average church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity