Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,012,982 times

Advertisements

The link below has a really clear answer to the OP's question.... (i.e., Are JW's christian???)

If I am a Jehovah's Witness, why should I consider becoming a Christian?

I am a Jehovah's Witness, why should I consider becoming a Christian?

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-30-2008 at 01:54 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,563,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The link below has a really clear answer to the OP's question.... (i.e., Are JW's christian???)

If I am a Jehovah's Witness, why should I consider becoming a Christian?

I am a Jehovah's Witness, why should I consider becoming a Christian?
That link is hilarious! Because it is posted as a question on a website, that makes it 'fact'? Who gave the writer of this page the right to determine whether JW deserve to be called Christian? Ludicrous.

I can tell you , as a JW, that we do consider ourselves Christian. And incidentally, so did the Gallup Poll conducted in this year's USA TODAY. Jehovah's Witnesses were grouped with all other Christian religions.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 PM

Default I'm sincerely sorry that you think it's hilarious....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
That link is hilarious! Because it is posted as a question on a website, that makes it 'fact'? Who gave the writer of this page the right to determine whether JW deserve to be called Christian? Ludicrous.

I can tell you , as a JW, that we do consider ourselves Christian. And incidentally, so did the Gallup Poll conducted in this year's USA TODAY. Jehovah's Witnesses were grouped with all other Christian religions.
First,... I always look to the Gallup Poll and to USA Today for their interpretation of the Word of God.... and what it means to be a Christian.

Regarding the link I posted...

If you read the information on the site it clearly explains why the JW's aren't Christian.
It is written for JW's to explain to JW's why they are not Christians... because, as you stated, you profess that you are.

But, you see, you don't really want to know the truth. You just want to win others to your way of thinking.

They would be so proud of you!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:18 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,719,608 times
Quote:
Jehovah's Witnesses, as a legal organization, have only been around since the 1800's, yes. But we feel we are an extension of the early Christian Congregation and God's chosen organization on earth.
Chosen Schmozen . . . this sibling rivalry to be God's "favorites" simply has to stop. Do you love any one cell or set of cells in your body more than any others? God loves us all.
Quote:
If it's taught in the bible, it shouldnt be THAT difficult to understand. Debated for 1700 years? WHY? Doesnt that seem very incompatible with a God who is 'not one of disorder, but of peace?'
Because the simple-minded primitives who recorded it did the best they could but they simply didn't have the cognitive concepts to understand it or communicate it . . . to analogize it . . . to them it would have been the equivalent of understanding mathematical calculus ("spiritual calculus"). Simpllcity is for simpler minds. It shouldn't be retained when those minds have developed sufficiently to notice there is something that needs a more accurate conceptual explanation with the benefit of hindsight.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
First,... I always look to the Gallup Poll and USA Today for their interpretation of the Word of God.... and what it means to be a Christian.

Regarding the link I posted...

If you read the information on the site it explains why the JW's aren't Christian. It is written for JW's to explain to you why JW's are not Christians...
because, as you stated, you believe that you are.

But, you see, you don't really want to know the truth. You just want to bring others to your way of thinking.

They would be so proud of you!

But why do you feel the writer of that page has the right to determine that, using his own thinking? And why are you so quick to accept it? I'll tell you. It's because you have faith that you are in the right...based on your knowledge of the scriptures.

So tell me, how are you so different than I? And notice I haven't added any snide italicized remarks at the end of my post??

Old 12-30-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Chosen Schmozen . . . this sibling rivalry to be God's "favorites" simply has to stop. Do you love any one cell or set of cells in your body more than any others? God loves us all.Because the simple-minded primitives who recorded it did the best they could but they simply didn't have the cognitive concepts to understand it or communicate it . . . to analogize it . . . to them it would have been the equivalent of understanding mathematical calculus ("spiritual calculus"). Simpllcity is for simpler minds. It shouldn't be retained when those minds have developed sufficiently to notice there is something that needs a more accurate conceptual explanation with the benefit of hindsight.
I think anyone who takes his faith seriously should believe their chosen religion is the right one, don't you?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
But why do you feel the writer of that page has the right to determine that, using his own thinking? And why are you so quick to accept it? I'll tell you. It's because you have faith that you are in the right...based on your knowledge of the scriptures.

So tell me, how are you so different than I?
It is not the writer's reasoning, Alice.

It is the Word of God. That is why...

It's not based on a "New World Translation" which was written to distort the truth... but the abiding Word of God...

As you pointed out in another post...

Quote:
Remember, the Bible foretold that there would be those whose sole purpose was to 'mislead many'.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:26 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,719,608 times
Quote:
I think anyone who takes his faith seriously should believe their chosen religion is the right one, don't you?
The right one for you is the one that leads you to Christ-like thoughts, feelings, and love of God and your fellow human beings. Eye cells should not try to be ear cells or foot cells or tongue cells . . . which is more important or the favorite or the right kind of cell? It is simply ridiculous human sibling rivalry taken to its worst manifestation.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:33 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,510,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The right one for you is the one that leads you to Christ-like thoughts, feelings, and love of God and your fellow human beings. Eye cells should not try to be ear cells or foot cells or tongue cells . . . which is more important or the favorite or the right kind of cell? It is simply ridiculous human sibling rivalry taken to its worst manifestation.
What bible verse is that?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
It is not the writer's reasoning, Alice.

It is the Word of God. That is why...

It's not based on a "New World Translation" which was written to distort the truth... but the abiding Word of God...

As you pointed out in another post...

I read the writer's reasoning. He doesnt use the word of God. He states that what the Evangelical Church believes is fact. You were not there when the NWT was written and therefore you can't state that it was written to 'distort the truth'. You can only base your feelings on sites like this one that, in my eyes, prove the exact point you try to pin on JW. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity