Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:01 PM

432 posts, read 1,664,534 times

Advertisements

What is the point of Song of Solomon really?

Its all about Finding his Love,Feeling her breast,blah blah!!

What are we as Christians suppose to Learn from this book?

Is there some deeper meaning that I am missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 01:25 AM

14,879 posts, read 17,148,619 times
I believe that it is an allegory about the love of God for His chosen people. God bless.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:40 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,063 times
I believe it has a two fold meaning: one regarding the love between a man and woman and also about Jesus and His church.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:06 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,223 times
Quote:
Originally posted by urbanlemur
I believe it has a two fold meaning: one regarding the love between a man and woman and also about Jesus and His church.
Yep. What he/she said. Though I've never heard the "Jesus/Church" interpretation. I've only heard it presented as "The christians guide to hot sex". (pardon my bluntness) I'd be interested to hear more about how the Song represents the love Christ has for the church, if anyone here can explain.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:20 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Well to quote one passage: "As Christ so loved his church, ..." giving an example of how a husband should love his wives.

A running metaphor in the Bible deals with 'the bride' and Christ being the groom, and when they come together.

SOS is all about a husband and a wife lusting after each other.

Giving us a mindset of how marriage is to be, as well as how we are to be looking toward the resurrection.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:32 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
Default The Purpose of Sex

I would frame the question: does The Bible support sex for pleasure's sake or not?

Song of Solomon seems like a virgin bride looking forward to her wedding night. Of course, that would have produced a child. It does appear that sex is primarily for making babies and The Bible seems to support that. So, pleasure seems to be secondary.

In Genesis 3 God tells Eve that her desire will be for her husband and he will rule over her. Song of Solomon seems consistent with that. Adam receives no such curse. So, husbands letting their desire for their wife rule them, seem debauched and, it would seem, wives rejecting their husbands, seem "repressed."

Last edited by Chef Boyardee; 11-27-2008 at 10:30 AM..

Old 11-27-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
1 Corinthians 7:2-5.
"But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control."
The man and the woman have sexual needs, which are pleasurable, and they become one flesh when they are married. The needs are to be fulfilled within the marriage. Whether fulfillment of sexual needs is primary or secondary it is important and to be fulfilled by the marriage partner.

Quote:
Of course, that would have produced a child.
Not necessarily God bless.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
"and this I say by way of concurrence -- not of command," 1 Corinthians 7:6

Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 AM

What was said by conconcurrence--not command? I look at the context. In vs 1, 2 Paul is telling them that it is good for a man not to touch a woman, but because of immoralities, let each man have his own wife and let each woman have her own husband. Then he talks about the marital duties. Later in vs. 7, he says that he wishes that all men were as hs was, however, each has his own gift from God. This means to me that he did not command that all men have a wife or that all women have a husband. Later he says that it is good for the unmarried widows to remain as he was but... if they they did not have self control, they were to marry. God bless.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:38 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
... and The Bible seems to support that. So, pleasure seems to be secondary.
Could you possibly provide a bible passage to support this theory?

When the Bible supports something it is usually very clear about it you know.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity