U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:22 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,332,999 times

Advertisements

This is a thread where non-Catholics, or fellow Catholics can post questions or help rationalize good answers to questions. There are many misconceptions about the Catholic Church out there that people hold, and I feel like it would be a good idea to get a good discussion going so we can come to some common ground.

I am by no means a Catholic expert, I just recently joined the Church but I am in love with the Catholic Church. However, I have many references and books and would be more than willing to share.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-28-2008, 04:39 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,506,454 times
How do you go about convincing other that Mary was a Virgin all of her life? So many religions believe she had 7 or 8 other children. I can hear it now, "Mom always liked you best!" We are all brothers and sisters of Christ.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:15 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,274,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
How do you go about convincing other that Mary was a Virgin all of her life? So many religions believe she had 7 or 8 other children. I can hear it now, "Mom always liked you best!" We are all brothers and sisters of Christ.
LOL! I'm sure Catholics get that a lot, but have you ever wondered better, does knowing if Christ had blood brothers or sisters or even Children make you a better person? I don't think so, HIS central message was always "do unto others and love one another", much like politics todya we get sidetracked by the "tabloid" newspress instead of simply "getting the job done".

Old 11-29-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
The argument is that if she had divinity in her, because Christ was divine, then she would desire nothing else. So as a woman and mother,, Mary was totally fulfilled in being the Mother of God. She had attained the highest vocation she could want or ask for. She was a tabernacle of the Lord. Also, the brothers and sisters thing is confusing for some people too, but Catholics believe it all stems around the word adelphoi. That word, when translated, does not just mean brothers. It can mean cousins, or even relatives such as uncles. In the context of that time period, adelphoi would most likely have meant cousins, as he had many cousins. Also, there is a large lack of scripture to back up that Jesus had brothers.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:01 AM

414 posts, read 740,702 times
Lightbulb horribile dictu ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
LOL! I'm sure Catholics get that a lot, but have you ever wondered better, does knowing if Christ had blood brothers or sisters or even Children make you a better person? I don't think so, HIS central message was always "do unto others and love one another", much like politics todya we get sidetracked by the "tabloid" newspress instead of simply "getting the job done".

... and with grace!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:04 AM

7,638 posts, read 12,883,640 times
How do Catholics explain 1 Tim 2:5 (one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus) when they pray and confess laterally?

Sorry for my definition.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
How do Catholics explain 1 Tim 2:5 (one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus) when they pray and confess laterally?

Sorry for my definition.
We do not pray to priests, or to saints. They pray for us. Or with us is even a better term.

Like the issue with Mary, many protestants see us as worshiping Mary. We do not. We ask her to intercede on our behalf because of her special relationship with Jesus. Catholics, as do most Christians believe we are in communion with the living and the dead, that the spirits of the dead are in heaven and still exist in some form.

Have you ever asked someone to pray for you? Even before becoming a Catholic, I once asked my grandmother to pray for me that I land a job. It is the same thing with Mary, or priests. With repenting our sins, we believe priests have been anointed by the Church and by more extent God to be holy. Ever since the conception of Christianity, there has been a Church hierarchy. Do you deny this? Bishops and priests have existed since the death of Jesus. Read into Christian history. It was only in the 1500's that this changed, and people like Martin Luther who thought they knew more than over a thousand years of theology could just come and change things.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:38 PM

61,293 posts, read 81,553,019 times
i love the church and have done much service work there.
everyone in my family is catholic but me but that does not prevent me from being of assistance in the church and participating.
considering they were the only light in europe since the fall of rome, they are an extraodinary group of people. much of the cruelty and brutality associated with the dark ages is credited to the church whereas it should be credited to the period. most do not realize civilization can go backwards as well as forwards. the church was the exception.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 PM

7,638 posts, read 12,883,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
We do not pray to priests, or to saints. They pray for us. Or with us is even a better term.

Like the issue with Mary, many protestants see us as worshiping Mary. We do not. We ask her to intercede on our behalf because of her special relationship with Jesus. Catholics, as do most Christians believe we are in communion with the living and the dead, that the spirits of the dead are in heaven and still exist in some form.

Have you ever asked someone to pray for you? Even before becoming a Catholic, I once asked my grandmother to pray for me that I land a job. It is the same thing with Mary, or priests. With repenting our sins, we believe priests have been anointed by the Church and by more extent God to be holy. Ever since the conception of Christianity, there has been a Church hierarchy. Do you deny this? Bishops and priests have existed since the death of Jesus. Read into Christian history. It was only in the 1500's that this changed, and people like Martin Luther who thought they knew more than over a thousand years of theology could just come and change things.
While I believe in praying with others, is it not true that many put their trust in the higher positions of Mary, priests and clergy as holding more precedence than Mat 18:19?

Quote:
Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
I do believe in individual revelation, if that's what you're asking (this will resonate with others by His Spirit). Luther knew that the division of the Saints was not true, and spoke out.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 PM

898 posts, read 1,456,278 times
If it is largely known that at the beginning of the catholic religion priests were allowed to marry and have families why aren't the celibacy and vow of poverty rules lifted?
Since there is a vow of poverty, why is the vatican the richest organization in the world? Why is the (stolen) gold that is adorning the walls of their churches not removed and used for charity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.