U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:10 PM

7,787 posts, read 13,291,531 times

Advertisements

All this talk of the Bible being the true source of faith and knowledge of the Holy One causes me to ponder the question, "Without it, would your faith hold? Do you know Him? Do you trust Him to lead though all else is lost?"

I believe the Bible - it's the historical account of God's relationship with man, past present and future - but if all was taken, we have the Seed within us. Do you believe that His spirit was sent to abide with us, and that Jesus is indeed ever interceding?

We are not alone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 04:24 PM

25,386 posts, read 33,934,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
All this talk of the Bible being the true source of faith and knowledge of the Holy One causes me to ponder the question, "Without it, would your faith hold? Do you know Him? Do you trust Him to lead though all else is lost?"

I believe the Bible - it's the historical account of God's relationship with man, past present and future - but if all was taken, we have the Seed within us. Do you believe that His spirit was sent to abide with us, and that Jesus is indeed ever interceding?

We are not alone!
Well, my faith doesn't come from the bible. Any book can claim to be the word of God and several do. My faith comes from studying science and seeing the wonder of everything. I choose Christianity because it makes the most sense to me. I believe there is historical evidence that Christ lived and reason to believe he is what those who were willing to die rather than recant said he was/is.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:30 PM

4,308 posts, read 6,635,809 times
No.
My faith would not die. But I'm very greatful for scripture and wise counsel.

Otherwise, it'd be like saying if my wife took a trip, she stopped loving me and never loved me.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,508,767 times
I would still have my faith, and perhaps it would be even stronger considering the amount of prayer and faith that would be involved to believe without any other source but my faith and the revelations of the Holy Spirit.

I have heard of people who have never seen or heard of the Bible writing or reciting passages as if they had been Christians their whole lives. I have also heard that Muslims in the Middle East are having dreams of Jesus and converting.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:50 PM

7,787 posts, read 13,291,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone resident View Post
look im fine with religion but i personaly think it is bull****. If There was a god why would he be man? Where did he come from? how did he create man kind? why the **** isnt he helping use out now? If you can anwser these questions reasonably I will go to church everyday, pray every day and night, and spend most of my time thinking of god. I can make this bet because I know You or anyone else can anwser these. good luck jackass!
I could answer all these and more, but I put more energy into positive discussion.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:00 PM

4,308 posts, read 6,635,809 times
Quote:
look im fine with religion but i personaly think it is bull****. If There was a god why would he be man? Where did he come from? how did he create man kind? why the **** isnt he helping use out now? If you can anwser these questions reasonably I will go to church everyday, pray every day and night, and spend most of my time thinking of god. I can make this bet because I know You or anyone else can anwser these. good luck jackass!

You know, my wife and I took a ride last summer down Bryce Canyon on a
JACKASS.
And thanks to that stable creature, I'm still hear to talk about it.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:00 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,508,767 times
Quote:
look im fine with religion but i personaly think it is bull****.
I feel where you are coming from, been there myself.

Quote:
If There was a god why would he be man?
To be our perfect example of a sinless life.

Quote:
Where did he come from?
He has always been.

Quote:
how did he create man kind?
To share His love.

Quote:
why the **** isnt he helping use out now?
OH He is. You have breath in your lungs.

Quote:
If you can anwser these questions reasonably I will go to church everyday, pray every day and night, and spend most of my time thinking of god. I can make this bet because I know You or anyone else can anwser these. good luck jackass!
Actually I prefer *******, but jackass will work. I do not know your definition of reasonable, but I have made an attempt as simply as I could, but if you require further clarification I would be happy to make further attempts. I hope this helps you in some way shape or form.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:09 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,051,627 times
More than anything, I rely on the Holy Spirit.

My first husband cheated on my several times. He left me and my two children when my second was only five weeks old...for another woman. I begged him to come back home to get his house in order. It didn't lead to repentance. He continued.

In the Bible, it says you can leave if your spouse is an adulterer. I didn't just rely on that. Every situation is different. God knew my husband and if he would change. So I prayed asking for guidance...should I stay or should I go? Five and a half days later, I got my answer. I woke up early one Sunday morning...sunshine pouring in the windows...and felt it. I knew I was to leave. Added bonus...He assured me He would take care of my two kids.

More than anything, I rely on the Holy Spirit. There is NOTHING like communicating with God.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:35 PM

13,640 posts, read 23,497,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

We are not alone!
Did you ever wonder if Jesus gave us this gift when he left, because knowing man as he did, didn't he also know that they (some) would corrupt His words and cause dissention and "splits" in His church? Nope, we are not alone, He promised that

Good post elmer

Old 12-08-2008, 05:40 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,503,503 times
I count on the Bible to instruct me. In and of myself I am just flesh and I need God's perspective on my life. I need the teachings, encouragement, examples, unconditional love and truth that God's word gives to my life. If we only have ourselves and how we "feel" we can be deceived easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity