Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:09 AM

221 posts, read 378,405 times

Advertisements

I started this thread again to get noticed.
I have to understand this word enmity by Tuesday
Please help me!!!!!

It says, "God set enmity between you and woman..." What is enmity?

Webster says "psoitive, active , and typically mutual hatred or ill will" and "enmity suggest positive hatred which may be open or concealed <an unspoken enmity>

Positive???????? How can ill will be positive?

I've got to fully understand this word!
Please give real life examples
Why didn't they say some other word here?

Other words in the Webster enmity quote were Hostility, antipathy, antagonism, animosity, rancor, animus

animus means deep-seated dislike or ill will
hostility suggests an enmity showing itself in attacks or aggression <Hostility between the two nations>
antipathy and antagonism imply a natural or logical basis for one's hatred or dislike
antipathy suggesting repugnance, a desire to avoid or reject
antagonism suggesting a clash of temperaments leading readily to hostility
<a natural antipathy for self-seekers> etc etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 AM

777 posts, read 1,435,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limapie View Post
Please help me!!!!!

Webster says "psoitive, active , and typically mutual hatred or ill will" and "enmity suggest positive hatred which may be open or concealed <an unspoken enmity>

Other words in the Webster enmity quote were Hostility, antipathy, antagonism, animosity, rancor, animus

hostility suggests an enmity showing itself in attacks or aggression <Hostility between the two nations>
antipathy and antagonism imply a natural or logical basis for one's hatred or dislike
I don't think "positive" means a good thing - but something forceful and passionate.

Say... your boss chews you out in front of your co-workers.
One might feel seething hatred and a desire to strike back.

If you look up the word "wrath", it does not mean plague; it means: fierce indignation (even causing rapid short forceful breaths).

Sin puts us at enmity with God, meaning that we are enemies and subject to His indignation that His creation would prefer to toss Him aside and seek selfishness instead.
He is holy and we cannot really grasp the extent of what that means, but it is enough to separate us from Him - permanently.

No one likes being in that state; neither does God.
He loves His creation and made a way to remove that enmity from between us - accomplished through His Son, Yeshua the Messiah.

He is our mediator - always standing on our behalf.
His blood is our atonement for sin and now there is no more condemnation for those who believe on Christ. (Rom 8:1)
There is no more enmity for those in Christ.

Hebrews 9:15
For this reason He is the mediator of a new covenant, so that, since a death has taken place for the redemption of the transgressions that were committed under the first covenant, those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:48 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,381,488 times
Quote:
Please help me!!!!!

Here's an interesting rendering from Genisis 3:15 Message Bible (a Version rather than translation)
Quote:
"I am declaring war between you and the woman,
between your offspring and hers.
He'll wound your head,
you'll wound his heel."
That animosity, antagonism, hatred is definitely a war. It was actually Jehovah God who in this sentence against Satan, actually established that enmity or hatred and it would exist between Satan and the seed or offspring of God's woman. Only the final destruction of Satan would put an end to this enmity or hatred.

Notice the four entities that are mentioned in this theme verse: the serpent and it's seed as well as the woman and her seed. These entities would be key players in events for thousands of years to come. The serpent and his offspring and the woman and her offspring would be at odds against one another for centuries upon centuries, which meant only that this enmity would be ongoing conflict between true worship and false, right conduct and wickedness. At one point in history , this serpent would gain a seeming advantage when it bruised or wounded the heel of the woman's seed. Eventually, though, the woman's seed was to crush the serpent's head, and God himself would be vindicated when all traces of that original rebellion were removed.

I'm not sure how far you wanted to go here, but you might have an interesting reading of the entire Revelation chap 12 which clearly identifies these entities first described at Genisis 3:15.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,649,279 times
(Ge 3:15)

War is proclaimed between the Seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent. It is the fruit of this enmity, that there is a continual warfare between grace and corruption, in the hearts of God's people.
Satan, by their corruptions, buffets them, sifts them, and seeks to devour them.
Heaven and hell can never be reconciled, nor light and darkness; no more can Satan and a sanctified soul.
Also, there is a continual struggle between the wicked and the godly in this world.

A gracious promise is here made of Christ, as the Deliverer of fallen man from the power of Satan. Here was the drawn of the gospel day: no sooner was the wound given, than the remedy was provided and revealed. This gracious revelation of a Saviour came unasked, and unlooked for.

Without a revelation of mercy, giving some hope of forgiveness, the convinced sinner would sink into despair, and be hardened. By faith in this promise, our first parents, and the patriarchs before the flood, were justified and saved.
Notice is given concerning Christ.
1. His incarnation, or coming in the flesh. It speaks great encouragement to sinners, that their Saviour is the Seed of the woman, bone of our bone, Heb 2:11, 14.
2. His sufferings and death; pointed at in Satan's bruising his heel, that is, his human nature. And Christ's sufferings are continued in the sufferings of the saints for his name. The devil tempts them, persecutes and slays them; and so bruises the heel of Christ, who is afflicted in their afflictions. But while the heel is bruised on earth, the Head is in heaven.
3. His victory over Satan thereby. Christ baffled Satan's temptations, rescued souls out of his hands. By his death he gave a fatal blow to the devil's kingdom, a wound to the head of this serpent that cannot be healed.
As the gospel gains ground, Satan falls.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:03 PM

71 posts, read 110,743 times
I would positively without a doubt find serpents to be on the list of Untrustworthy. They are unfeeling soulless creatures that have no care for men and we have an inborn sense of dread for them. Or so it would seem.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesodano View Post
I would positively without a doubt find serpents to be on the list of Untrustworthy. They are unfeeling soulless creatures that have no care for men and we have an inborn sense of dread for them. Or so it would seem.
Well...
Biologically, they're reptiles - sort of cold-blooded, you know - but that has more to do with body heat regulation.
Some are poisonous but others only look lethal to the untrained eye.

Most rattle snakes only bite when startled or blinded while shedding their skin.
A water moccasin, however will hunt you down to bite you. I've seen one trying to sneak up on me.
A blacksnake looks mean and it will bit, but it's not poisonous and will constrict and kill a moccasin (viper) to defend territory.

I've been camping and heard a blacksnake (previously seen) rustling about in the reeds.
I was comforted in knowing he would protect me from the vipers.

What has that to do with the Bible?
Absolutely nothing.

Added: I've been saddened, though to see a car swerve to hit a poor blacksnake trying to cross the road.
It's the wrong type of snake to be aiming at.
I did kill that particular moccasin, although there were plenty of others at the lake.
I've also killed a rattler at another campground.

Last edited by Richio; 12-13-2008 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 02:18 PM

558 posts, read 1,827,147 times
Quote:
Please help me!!!!!

When in doubt check the Hebrew or Greek out.
Don't use Websters for the Bible, trace the word to it's REAL meaning by checking the Strong's concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon.

In this case the word enmity in Hebrew means 'eybah
1) Hatred

The passage is also very prophetic.

Satan bruised the heal of the woman's seed (Christ) but in the process the Serpent's head was crushed by Christ Jesus being the perfect Holy sacrifice at Calvary. Satan hates the woman (the Jews) because her seed (Christ) has brought the free gift of salvation to all who accept it.

Satan brought separation between mankind and God but Christ Jesus redeemed and made us heirs (Children) for all who accept this free gift. While Satan can still bruise our heals in the time being, every soul that gets saved bruises his already crushed head. We hate the Serpent and his seed due to this bruising and he hates us because Christ crushed his head and we are heirs of God through Jesus.

Satan can not touch a saved person without God's permission first. God will not put us through more than we can bear, although at the time we think we can not handle the bruising. We only see one set of footprints and think we are alone but in reality Christ is carrying us through that troubled period. Christians need not worry about a little bruising here and there, we are secured and kept perfect by Christ Jesus. Satan is the one with the crushed head.

I'd rather have a bruised heal than a crushed head anyday.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeland yankee View Post

I'd rather have a bruised heal than a crushed head anyday.
__________<BG>
(icons not working properly)

Old 12-13-2008, 02:38 PM

71 posts, read 110,743 times
Richio,

He he... reptiles are eating procreating machines. (very reactive) I happen to keep snakes and lizards as a hobbie. They aren't to be trusted to act any way other than they have been created to do. Very unlike other mammalian pets.

Also if that black snake was a King snake you were right. Not so sure about black racers the more common lizard mouse eaters. I know the california king is black and white banded.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesodano View Post
Richio,

He he... reptiles are eating procreating machines. (very reactive) I happen to keep snakes and lizards as a hobbie. They aren't to be trusted to act any way other than they have been created to do. Very unlike other mammalian pets.

Also if that black snake was a King snake you were right. Not so sure about black racers the more common lizard mouse eaters. I know the california king is black and white banded.
I have a friend who had python.
That thing latched onto his hand, but it was blinded while molting, and he was careless while feeding it.
Snakes don't give much thought to anything, although that moccasin was trying to be stealthy.
I got him with a pop bottle to the back of the head, just before he writhed into some rocks.

The blacksnakes I know of - are common in coastal North and South Carolina.
Rounded snouts. 4 feet max. No markings.
They will bite if messed with, but people are too big to swallow, so they tend to go the other way if they can.

But we're off topic.
Has the question been answered?
I can't think of anything to add other than what has already been said.

Added: I looked 'em up. A rat snake.
Apparently they can get to be 10 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity