U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 AM

8,989 posts, read 13,455,952 times

Advertisements

Growing up as a Pentecostal I constantly heard, this one backslid, that one backslid even a couple a weeks ago my Pastor made an alter call in which he used the terms "backslide" and "recommit your life to Christ" but now that I believe "once saved always saved" how can "backsliding" or RE-committing" be?

I studied this term only to find it is found absolutely no where in the New Testament it is only in the Old Testament primarily for the Jews, God's chosen people who had turned their backs on God and rebelled against His word which is why they were forced to make so many sacrifices over and over again to reestablish fellowship with their God for the covering of their sins but Jesus Christ was our perfect sacrifice so there is no need for that.

I find these terms to be dangerous because it gives many "false converts" a sense of security in salvation not to mention gives the atheist who were former "christians" a good argument against the validity of the bible and the Holy Spirit on how they could go back to not believing in God but that's me.

(1 John 2:19)
19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

(2 Timothy 2:11–13)
11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-09-2008 at 10:51 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 10:54 AM

7,638 posts, read 12,886,250 times
This is a journey in which He knows the outcome - He's the Author, yes but He's also the Finisher.

What we see as failures and reason for despair, He uses to tear down that He might build up. Failure + despair = realization that we are nothing, and He is everything. We can debate the point at which a straying turns into a bonefide backslide, but the root of either is independence. The "old man" is hell bent, and will go against the life of Christ; I believe He causes divers trials and resistance so that He can show us what is still to be dealt with.

Needless to say, there's many who fill the pews that never show any sign of straying - but God looks on the heart. I'd rather have His light shown on my darkness.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:39 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,691,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Growing up as a Pentecostal I constantly heard, this one backslid, that one backslid even a couple a weeks ago my Pastor made an alter call in which he used the terms "backslide" and "recommit your life to Christ" but now that I believe "once saved always saved" how can "backsliding" or RE-committing" be?

I studied this term only to find it is found absolutely no where in the New Testament it is only in the Old Testament primarily for the Jews, God's chosen people who had turned their backs on God and rebelled against His word which is why they were forced to make so many sacrifices over and over again to reestablish fellowship with their God for the covering of their sins but Jesus Christ was our perfect sacrifice so there is no need for that.

I find these terms to be dangerous because it gives many "false converts" a sense of security in salvation not to mention gives the atheist who were former "christians" a good argument against the validity of the bible and the Holy Spirit on how they could go back to not believing in God but that's me.

(1 John 2:19)
19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

(2 Timothy 2:11–13)
11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
I tend to agree w/you, I think if you truly come to faith in Christ, while you are not perfect and still will sin at times, you will keep looking to Christ to lead you and not need to recommitt your life, repent sure, but not recommitt.

I would argue that the person who 'needs to come forward and recommitt their life to Christ' really only had head knowledge of Him, and didn't have Him in their heart. Billy Graham used to always discuss this before his altar calls at crusades that you may have been attending church for years, been in the choir, served on a committee, but they never really had that relationship that is needed w/Christ to be saved. I was one of those people, growing up I went to church pretty regularly, performed in church plays, sung in the youth choir, knew most of the Bible stories, but not until I was 21 and really had the importance preached and ministered and demonstrated to me of having a relationship w/Christ did I truly 'commit' my life to Him.

Sadly, there are a lot of people who practice 'churchianity' instead of Christianity, focus on religion instead of relationship. Rob Bell wrote a book (which I haven't read but would like to) called Jesus wants to save Christians which from what I've heard discusses this very point.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 PM

777 posts, read 1,348,813 times
The real danger is in “once saved always saved”, as it leaves no incentive to grow or do anything further in the pursuit of God.
OSAS, get's 'em saved, but actually encourages complacency.
Certainly, we’re not to walk around constantly questioning our salvation; that is just unbelief.
Jesus is able to keep us, but we are exhorted to continue in the faith - to finish the race - "working out our own salvation with fear and trembling".

But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Matthew 24:13

Just as there is now no condemnation for those in Christ, grace is not license to sin.
Just because back-sliding exists, it is not a license to back-slide.

While the word “back-sliding” may not be in the Bible, restoration sure is.
As we are human, it is natural that we might get distracted and wander off, but then we must come back like the prodigal son.

However, this restoration is a private matter between God and each person.
It is wrong to make some sort of public ceremony of it – like some re-baptism or even a confirmation.
It is a renewal of the human heart restored to a proper relationship with God.

OSAS is a man-made doctrine.
I read the whole Bible before I ever went to church as a born again Christian.
It was clear to me, before Christians started trying to teach me things, that back-sliding was real and that we need to finish the race.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:40 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,170,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
The real danger is in “once saved always saved”, as it leaves no incentive to grow or do anything further in the pursuit of God.
How about love,admiration, and AWE of who GOD is..the creator of everything that exist. That`s all the incentive I need. Maybe for others they need the fear of eternal torment, hellfire, and damnation as opposed to the love of God. That`s one thing that always gets me about the church goers. They talk about how much they love God, how much they love their savior, how much they love their Jesus but then make statements like the one above. What really is the motivating factor to following God? It`s like saying...I would do what ever I pleased whether God liked it or not if I could...but because I think he`ll punish me forever in a pit of fire for all of eternity..I better not.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
How about love,admiration, and AWE of who GOD is..the creator of everything that exist. That`s all the incentive I need. Maybe for others they need the fear of eternal torment, hellfire, and damnation as opposed to the love of God. That`s one thing that always gets me about the church goers. They talk about how much they love God, how much they love their savior, how much they love their Jesus but then make statements like the one above. What really is the motivating factor to following God? It`s like saying...I would do what ever I pleased whether God liked it or not if I could...but because I think he`ll punish me forever in a pit of fire for all of eternity..I better not.
I didn't say anything about damnation or punishment.
I'm only saying that just getting someone to say some words and then saying, in effect: you'll go to heaven no matter how you live, because "Once Saved Always Saved" is not conducive to spiritual maturity.

It also is not taught in the Scriptures.
Only that Jesus is ABLE to keep us.
If we run in a different direction after being "saved", we don't get to go to heaven.
We have to finish the race - running in the right direction.

What are your thoughts on back-sliding?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:10 PM

8,989 posts, read 13,455,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
I didn't say anything about damnation or punishment.
I'm only saying that just getting someone to say some words and then saying, in effect: you'll go to heaven no matter how you live, because "Once Saved Always Saved" is not conducive to spiritual maturity.

It also is not taught in the Scriptures.
Only that Jesus is ABLE to keep us.
If we run in a different direction after being "saved", we don't get to go to heaven.
We have to finish the race - running in the right direction.

What are your thoughts on back-sliding?
Actually, no. If you live any old way by not submitting to the word of God, you were never really saved from the getgo. If you truely are saved then the Holy Spirit helps you to grow and bear fruit. There is no complacency.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Actually, no. If you live any old way by not submitting to the word of God, you were never really saved from the getgo. If you truely are saved then the Holy Spirit helps you to grow and bear fruit. There is no complacency.
So, I guess I'm not saved, because I've "back-slid" in the past and come back to restoration.

Oh well. Perfection is so hard.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 PM

557 posts, read 1,732,470 times
Quote:
True salvation will ALWAYS produce good fruit. A saved person is still going to mess up at times because of our sin nature. We can only lose rewards though not salvation. 1 Corinthians 3:13-15

OSAS is not a license to sin. I promise you that if you are saved and go out of God's will you WILL BE PUNISHED. The Lord will not let a true believer live an unholy life.
Proverbs 3:12-For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Do some christians really believe that OSAS is some kind of free pass to sin as we please? It's just the opposite, we live Holy because we are secured by the shed Blood of Christ. We accepted a free gift that we were not worthy to accept and therefore are always grateful for it. Why do you think so many OSAS people are always out soul-winning?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 PM

If a Christian is born again and is fully committed to growing in the Lord and developing: faith and love and patience and gentleness…
And then after years of this, something happens and that person gets distracted and back-slides, were they never saved to begin with?

Or were they saved, but then needed to be restored?

It's better not to get distracted.
But if one continues to “forget” God and dies in that state, the Bible doesn't seem to teach that one will go to heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity