Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 09:24 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times

Advertisements

^

If man is five,
And the devil is six,
Then God is Seven!
Monkey gone to heaven.

I wonder has that already been done in a kind of Devinci Code kind of film? Where investigators try to recompile the Rosetta strong "True Religion" from the fragmented parts of all modern religions. And when they do so the film ends with a mad twist where the True Religion reveals some moving or shocking conspiracy of some sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 12:48 PM

86 posts, read 56,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I like to argue with Mystic as much as anyone, (Ah, who am I kidding, probably more than most ), but snarking about education credentials with a retired professor is probably not your best opening gambit...

-NoCapo
If he were college educated I would have expected so much more. As another poster so aptly pointed out, he mentioned textbook, I asked for references to said textbook and he gives a link to a web-blog.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:49 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
But as WIKI says: "The triune model of the mammalian brain is seen as an oversimplified organizing theme by some in the field of comparative neuroscience. It continues to hold public interest because of its simplicity. While technically inaccurate as an explanation for brain activity, it remains one of very few approximations of the truth we have to work with". So I guess it is just a lay term used in a lay approach by a lay man discussing the science.
Oh get off your pseudo high horse, monumentus. You have revealed no actual knowledge in any area, lay or professional. We are discussing in a forum largely comprised of laymen NOT in a professional journal. Your "broken record" complaints about my layman-oriented presentations and analogies is way beyond tedious all the way to monotonous. Wait . . . is that really your screen name????

Old 02-10-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I like to argue with Mystic as much as anyone, (Ah, who am I kidding, probably more than most ),
The feeling is mutual, my friend. You have a fine mind, quite challenging.
Quote:
but snarking about education credentials with a retired professor is probably not your best opening gambit...
-NoCapo
Ad hominem questioning of credentials does seem to be the first choice of newbies.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:58 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limapie View Post
I was just over at a different thread where they were talking about
Islam, Christianity, Jesus divine or not. AntiChrist came up briefly.
They said that AntiChrist mentioned in 1 John is a single person. I was
always taught that the AntiChrist was not, one single person, but a group of people all following a false religion...a religion where they think it is sacred to kill for God.
It is strange that our three monotheistic religions of today all have come out of Moses' time. The ten commandment said, "Thou shalt not kill."
I find it totally awful that those few words spoken by God, Himself, are being disobeyed by two of the three monotheistic religions.
It is never God's will to kill. Period. Anything against this is a false religion.
First of all, why put a capital letter "A" for antichrist, when in Scripture there is No upper-case letter "A" ?

Jesus taught to lay down the sword - Matthew 26:52; Revelation 13:10
Jesus' followers learn war No more - Micah 4:3-4; Isaiah 2:4

Old 02-10-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantfindagoodname View Post
Which "science textbook" do we find references to the "serpent" and the "tree of life"?
What the Bible ( not secular books ) really teaches is the serpent in Eden was really Satan - Rev. 12:9,12
The ' tree of life ' stood for everlasting life on earth as long as God's Law was Not broken.
Adam broke God's law and thus lost access to the ' tree of life '
Jesus came to undo all the damage Satan and Adam brought upon mankind.
That is why during Jesus' 1,000-year governmental rulership over earth, mankind will see the return of the ' tree of life ' on earth for the healing of earth's nations - Revelation 22:2. That will be in fulfillment to God's promise to father Abraham that ALL families and ALL nations of earth will be blessed. Blessed with the benefit of everlasting life on earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall. - Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18

Old 02-10-2016, 02:13 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I like this analysis.

Except, I don't believe the other religions besides Christianity are false, I believe religion itself is fragmentary. The world religion is from "re-connect" the idea being that actual religion is about connecting people back to how things are supposed to be. However, a religion becomes false, when it tries to assert its supremacy over other beliefs.

And I hope one day these groups do become perfect. 777 is jackpot.

The world back in Jesus day didn't turn their hearts to hatred for Jesus, apostles and followers, and kill all of them because they taught--LOVE, PEACE and UNITY-- No it for the opposite truth that exposed all the false god worship and pagan practices straight off the table of demons( 1Cor 10:21) that 99% were partaking of. Even Gods chosen( Israel) were fallen at that point.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I like this analysis.
Except, I don't believe the other religions besides Christianity are false, I believe religion itself is fragmentary. The world religion is from "re-connect" the idea being that actual religion is about connecting people back to how things are supposed to be. However, a religion becomes false, when it tries to assert its supremacy over other beliefs.
And I hope one day these groups do become perfect. 777 is jackpot.
Jesus gave a perfect ' new ' commandment at John 13:34-35 to have self-sacrificing love for others.

We were forewarned that an apostasy would set in after the death of the apostles - Acts 20:29-30
Also, Jesus taught how genuine ' wheat ' Christians would grow together over the centuries with the fake ' weed/tares ' counterfeit Christians until the harvest time.
We know a harvest comes at the end of a growing period.
The growing period of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 is finally at its ' final phase ' because the international spreading about the good news message of God's kingdom, being headed by Jesus as King of God's kingdom government for a thousand years, is near at hand.
We are nearing the soon coming ' time of separation ' on earth - Matthew 25:31-33,37 - when those judged by Jesus as being righteous ones can continue to remain alive on earth, and continue living on earth right through the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 before the start of Jesus' 1,000-year governmental rulership over earth. When Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.

How things are supposed to be on earth: is that earth is to be like the beautiful paradisical Garden of Eden was.
Eden was a sample garden which mankind was to expand until Eden-like conditions covered the whole earth.
Adam was offered ' everlasting life on earth ' as long as he did Not break God's Law.
Jesus came to undo the damage Satan and Adam brought upon us, so under Christ's millennium-long day of governing over earth, mankind will have the same original opportunity as was offered to Adam before his downfall to live forever on earth in perfect health and happiness. - Revelation 22:2

Old 02-10-2016, 05:45 PM

86 posts, read 56,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The feeling is mutual, my friend. You have a fine mind, quite challenging.Ad hominem questioning of credentials does seem to be the first choice of newbies.
I only snarked because you did. You seem to enjoy it so. Small minds always do!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The feeling is mutual, my friend. You have a fine mind, quite challenging.Ad hominem questioning of credentials does seem to be the first choice of newbies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantfindagoodname View Post
I only snarked because you did. You seem to enjoy it so. Small minds always do!
Okay, let's holster our guns and start over. I am a theist but I do not adhere to the run-of-the-mill religious nonsense. I participate at whatever level someone seems intellectually capable of operating. I am a PhD trained psychologist and quantitative research methods Professor Emeritus and member of High IQ societies. I began life as an atheist, came out in my early teens, started meditating and practicing martial arts and had an epiphany in deep meditation around age 30 or so that instantly eliminated my atheism. I spent the next 30+ years trying to explain it to my intellect by studying the sciences and the entire "spiritual fossil record" of human speculation about God and Bible hermeneutics. I have a Synthesis that summarizes my conclusions for a lay audience. i explain and defend my views, but I am not trying to change anyone else's views. Any snarkiness toward discussants is usually well-earned by previous encounters, but sometimes it just comes out that way because of habitual classroom hubris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity