Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:51 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times

Advertisements

It seems to me from reading most posts on here that it has.

For the best part the posts seem to revolve around is it right to do this that and the other ? .

Then if you don't abide by or believe this that or the other you are judged by those in their own eyes who believe they do.

Here's an example of how grace is misunderstood to be the law John 14 verse 15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command".

This is not a command to obey Him, this is a simple fact if we love God we will obey Him, so obedience is a result of love.

Yet we get hammered by the legalists that we must obey God , this teaching comes from a result of not understanding the difference between the Old Covenant and New Covenant ,abiding by the old could never possibly do what the new has done.

You are nurturing the wrong thought and ideas of what Grace is all about the moment you utter the words must,because law and grace are not the same(One is earnt the other is a gift given )

Yes it does say we must be born again , that is not a command to do, but to be, in other words if you are not you can never be.

I just want to say to anyone who maybe looking at themselves thinking how can God love me(believer/unbeliever) ?, the moment you start to believe He does, is the moment you will find His love,joy and peace in your life.

If you are weary and heavy ladened it is not God doing this to you, He came to take that load from you.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Last edited by pcamps; 09-23-2009 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:10 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times
I obey His commandments BECAUSE I love Him.

So stop "hammering" me about it.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
I obey His commandments BECAUSE I love Him.

So stop "hammering" me about it.
Hammering you about what ? lol

Why also do you not post about the love and grace of God instead of keeping the commandments ? Cart before the horse

Old 09-23-2009, 07:20 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,571,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It seems to me from reading most posts on here that it has.

Here's an example of how grace is misunderstood to be the law John 14 verse 15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command"......
Man! You still don't get it, We orthodox Christians with the help of Spurgeon and others have come up with a fool proof way to avoid the ditches and stay balanced with Law and grace using scripture.

"Law to the proud and grace to the humble". If a person is repentant realizes they are a sinner and wants forgiveness then they don't need the law they get grace but if a person thinks he is good, proud and boastful he gets the Law, Law, Law until it breaks through his or her pride and drives them to the foot of the cross on bended knees.
Don't believe me? Read the story of the rich young ruler, he was self righteous and told Jesus he had kept ALL the commandments and Jesus kept giving him the Law never gave him grace. Jesus never gave the grace message to proud or prideful people.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:35 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,700,649 times
Quote:
Yet we get hammered by the legalists that we must obey God , this teaching comes from a result of not understanding the difference between the Old Covenant and New Covenant ,abiding by the old could never possibly do what the new has done.
Matthew 5:17-19
“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

John 14:21
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”

John 14:23-24
Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, You are our God, You are the same yesterday, today and all are tomorrows! Nothing has changed in You!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Man! You still don't get it, We orthodox Christians with the help of Spurgeon and others have come up with a fool proof way to avoid the ditches and stay balanced with Law and grace using scripture.

"Law to the proud and grace to the humble". If a person is repentant realizes they are a sinner and wants forgiveness then they don't need the law they get grace but if a person thinks he is good, proud and boastful he gets the Law, Law, Law until it breaks through his or her pride and drives them to the foot of the cross on bended knees.
Don't believe me? Read the story of the rich young ruler, he was self righteous and told Jesus he had kept ALL the commandments and Jesus kept giving him the Law never gave him grace. Jesus never gave the grace message to proud or prideful people.
So what you are saying is you are a minister of grace and law ? .

A minister of grace to the humble and a minister of the law to the proud ?.

Jesus did not keep giving the rich young ruler the law , he said to him "one thing you lack" , in otherwords you fall short and always will fall short when you trust in keeping the law because it will always find you out.So what is the point in ministering the law to a person who we assume is proud ?

It flys in the face that the scriptures say "Grace and truth(the reality of God) came by Jesus.

Jesus did not even use the Law against the scribes and Pharisees , he exposed them for what they were because they trusted in themselves , He didn't need the law to do that.

It is the job of the Holy Spirit to convict a man's heart and lead Him through the goodness of God to repentance.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:16 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times
Quote:
Hammering you about what ? lol
Please, don't play your "little innocent me" games...you have very "selective" memory, all one needs to do is read your past posts. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps
Why also do you not post about the love and grace of God instead of keeping the commandments ? Cart before the horse
I continuously post of the Love and the Grace of God...I'm sorry for you that you don't fully understand what that means. I'm enjoying the ride on the cart that follows the horse...your holding on for dear life to the neck of the horse as it gallops into the sunset...

Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Please, don't play your "little innocent me" games...you have very "selective" memory, all one needs to do is read your past posts. lol.

I continuously post of the Love and the Grace of God...I'm sorry for you that you don't fully understand what that means. I'm enjoying the ride on the cart that follows the horse...your holding on for dear life to the neck of the horse as it gallops into the sunset...
Verna since when as this forum been about you . What makes you think that my post was solely for your hearing.

Infact it is for the hearing of those who are subjected to being judged and condemned because they do not believe or act like the fundy's and legalists.

By the way You do continually talk about keeping the commandments and how you keep them and how sinful those are who do not.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,571,083 times
Quote:
So what you are saying is you are a minister of grace and law ? .

A minister of grace to the humble and a minister of the law to the proud ?.

Jesus did not keep giving the rich young ruler the law , he said to him "one thing you lack" , in otherwords you fall short and always will fall short when you trust in keeping the law because it will always find you out.So what is the point in ministering the law to a person who we assume is proud ?

It flys in the face that the scriptures say "Grace and truth(the reality of God) came by Jesus.

Jesus did not even use the Law against the scribes and Pharisees , he exposed them for what they were because they trusted in themselves , He didn't need the law to do that.

It is the job of the Holy Spirit to convict a man's heart and lead Him through the goodness of God to repentance.
what do you think the rich young ruler lacked, Jesus was talking about "idolatry" again the law. He wouldn't put God first before his money. Forget it Pcamps, your pride gets in your way of understanding.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post

John 14:23-24
Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, You are our God, You are the same yesterday, today and all are tomorrows! Nothing has changed in You!!!
The underlined passages are what gets me. Jesus clearly says the WORD is not his but GODS, yet you state that Jesus is your god..

If the WORD was JESUS then it would be his word.. but it is not his word.... it is GODS WORD! There is only one God and Jesus is not God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity