Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:29 PM

638 posts, read 1,918,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Anyone else feel the same?
I definitely do. I believe God gives second chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't, but I'm curious as to why you do, and would enjoy discussing this with you.
I was going to chase down some quotes, but I think I'll just mention them, including the one that Fundamentalist brought up, as well as another where some people thought that Jesus was Elijah reincarnated, so the concept isn't entirely non-biblical.
Fact is that no one knows for sure what we are doing here, whether he calls himself Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Agnostic, or Christian for that matter. We are human, and part of the deal with life is that we don't and can't know anything, really.
What we have is faith - the hope of things unseen.
I have based my faith on the fact that after studying many religious outlooks, the Teachings of Jesus approximate TRUTH more than any other, or at least what I consider to be the TRUTH.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I was going to chase down some quotes, but I think I'll just mention them, including the one that Fundamentalist brought up, as well as another where some people thought that Jesus was Elijah reincarnated, so the concept isn't entirely non-biblical.
It is not only not non-biblical . . . Jesus specifically attributed Elias reincarnation as in John the Baptist. Matthew 17:12-13 (King James Version)

12But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.

13Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Reincarnation is NOT Biblical. Jesus died on the cross so we could (if we choose to accept Him as our Savior, have a relationship with Him. God has not given us the option for a second chance after this life. The cross of Christ is our only hope. Reincarnation comes from a New Age way of thinking, which believes Jesus is A way, not THE way.
God sent a prophet like Elijah, John the Baptist to prepare the way for Jesus. Jesus was not Elijah.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I find no mention or any way the bible speaks of reincarnation...IMO we have one fleshly, human life..Then a spititual existance/life with our Lord for eternity if we believe.....

Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Reincarnation is NOT Biblical. Jesus died on the cross so we could (if we choose to accept Him as our Savior, have a relationship with Him. God has not given us the option for a second chance after this life. The cross of Christ is our only hope. Reincarnation comes from a New Age way of thinking, which believes Jesus is A way, not THE way.
God sent a prophet like Elijah, John the Baptist to prepare the way for Jesus. Jesus was not Elijah.
I don't believe reincarnation is biblical either. The fact remains, though, that there have been billions of people who died without hearing His message. Do you believe that God would eternally condemn all of these individuals for having had the misfortune to have been born at the wrong time or in the wrong place? If you believe in both the Bible and in a loving God who is not a respecter of persons, you have to reconcile that dilemma somehow.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I don't believe reincarnation is biblical either. The fact remains, though, that there have been billions of people who died without hearing His message. Do you believe that God would eternally condemn all of these individuals for having had the misfortune to have been born at the wrong time or in the wrong place? If you believe in both the Bible and in a loving God who is not a respecter of persons, you have to reconcile that dilemma somehow.
Romans 1:19-20 "For the truth about God is known to them instinctively. God has put this knowledge in their hearts. From the time the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made. They can clearly see His invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature. So they have not excuse whatsoever for not knowing God".
Because He is a just, loving, fair God, all people have been born with an inner sense of what God requires. No one can stand before God and say I didn't know.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times
Quote:
It does mention in the Bible that those who did not hear the Word would be judged by their conscience. It is ironic that many non-Christians have behaved with more morality than so-called Christians.
I am not really a hell-and-brimstone Christian. I believe more in Jesus commandments to preach the Gospel, resist war (ie, love thy neighbor as thyself) and feed the poor.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Romans 1:19-20 "For the truth about God is known to them instinctively. God has put this knowledge in their hearts. From the time the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made. They can clearly see His invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature. So they have not excuse whatsoever for not knowing God".
Because He is a just, loving, fair God, all people have been born with an inner sense of what God requires. No one can stand before God and say I didn't know.
So why did Jesus instruct His Apostles to teach His gospel to every nation, kindred, tongue and people? It would seem to me that this would have been entirely unnecessary if everyone just knows instictively. Besides, there is a difference between believing in God and believing the gospel of Jesus Christ. Even if people did instinctively know that there was a God, it would be pretty darned impossible to trust in the atoning sacrifice of an individual you had never even heard of. Obviously, you're speaking of the Abrahamic God. It's not only Christians who believe in Him, but Muslims and Jews as well. Do their "instinctive" beliefs in God count? I think your answer needs a little refining.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
So why did Jesus instruct His Apostles to teach His gospel to every nation, kindred, tongue and people? It would seem to me that this would have been entirely unnecessary if everyone just knows instictively. Besides, there is a difference between believing in God and believing the gospel of Jesus Christ. Even if people did instinctively know that there was a God, it would be pretty darned impossible to trust in the atoning sacrifice of an individual you had never even heard of. Obviously, you're speaking of the Abrahamic God. It's not only Christians who believe in Him, but Muslims and Jews as well. Do their "instinctive" beliefs in God count? I think your answer needs a little refining.
Missionaries are needed to sensitively explain sin and point people to Jesus. Missionaries help by sharing God's Word and pointing out the dangerous consequences of their actions, and we should do this whether it's with people next door, or in another country. God knows how much truth a person has heard, I believe He will judge fairly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity