Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
That's all there is to it. Like it or not, what Robin and Fundie are saying is true.
No, it isn't
Quote:
It's wonderful that you have a close relationship with Jesus, but is He the Jesus of the Bible?
Give me 50 years or so and I will introduce you to Him....you can talk to Him then.
Quote:
How can He be if you don't believe the Bible?
Where did you get that insight? What gave you the idea that I dismissed the Bible? You are making assumptions that simply aren't right. But then I suppose you, like R&F, have a direct connection to the Master and He told you that........or did you just pass judgment based on your own narrow interpretation of the rules and regulations of your denomination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
No, it isn't

Give me 50 years or so and I will introduce you to Him....you can talk to Him then.

Where did you get that insight? What gave you the idea that I dismissed the Bible? You are making assumptions that simply aren't right. But then I suppose you, like R&F, have a direct connection to the Master and He told you that........or did you just pass judgment based on your own narrow interpretation of the rules and regulations of your denomination?
Robin and Fundie are also correct about your judgmental attitude. What part of fundamental do you not understand? It has nothing to do with denomination. I believe the Word of God....all of it. You don't like what it says, so YOU are making up your own legalism.

Fundamentalist said it best here:

Quote:
I have been accused of legalism, so I say name one. Now you accuse me of name calling. what name have I used? criticisms of other faith? you mean like proclaiming the truth, the gospel and saying, Jesus is the only way. Maybe you would like me to lie to them and make them feel better as they head to hell?
Quote:
That is why we must base it off scripture. It is the ONLY incorruptible authority in the church.
Quote:
Isn't it ironic that the only things we say, is you are taking it out of context, study scripture using scripture, Jesus is the only way and we get labeled, judgmental, zealots, intolerant, self righteous, ignorant, egotistical, legalist, pharasees, arrogant, primitive, simple minded and the list can go on. YET! we are the bad guys, we are the ones who make the world a horrible place? Makes ya ponder on (John 15:18-20) when Jesus said, "They hate Me. They will hate you too."

"18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also."
NOW, I ask you.........DO you believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Thank God He talks to me......thank God He lets me talk to him.......He reassures me constantly.......I could no more live without Him in my life than I could live without air. But it is a personal relationship........and it has nothing to do with your laws, or parsing scripture, or in context or out of context.......can't you see how irrelevant those are? The ONLY relevance is that relationship with Jesus......everything else is nonsense.....
Amen!!! I can't rep you again . . . but you are doing a great job, GP.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
NOW, I ask you.........DO you believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God?
NOT the way you, Robin and Fundy interpret it . . .

Old 01-13-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
NOT the way you, Robin and Fundy interpret it . . .
Not only is that a side-step to the question that I asked, but I did not ask you!!! I already know that you don't believe the Bible, you just pick out the parts you like and dismiss the rest. Like I said, it's one size fits all, not cut to fit. But then your Jesus isn't the Jesus of the Bible, right? How could He be if you don't believe the Bible?

So I ask again GP...Do you believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I already know that you don't believe the Bible, you just pick out the parts you like and dismiss the rest.
Your knowledge borders on the infinite . . . how is it you know I don't believe in the bible , DOTL?
Quote:
Like I said, it's one size fits all, not cut to fit. But then your Jesus isn't the Jesus of the Bible, right? How could He be if you don't believe the Bible?
There is only one Jesus and only one God . . . where are you getting these others from? Have you met Jesus personally, DOTL . . . or are you relying on a book? I can assure you I have done a considerable amount of learning in my lifetime and I have found Jesus . . . both intellectually and personally . . . as told in John 6:45

. . . It is written in the Prophets, 'And they shall all be taught of God.' Everyone who has listened to the Father, and has learned, comes to me.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your knowledge borders on the infinite . . . how is it you know I don't believe in the bible , DOTL? There is only one Jesus and only one God . . . where are you getting these others from? Have you met Jesus personally, DOTL . . . or are you relying on a book? I can assure you I have done a considerable amount of learning in my lifetime and I have found Jesus . . . both intellectually and personally . . . as told in John 6:45

. . . It is written in the Prophets, 'And they shall all be taught of God.' Everyone who has listened to the Father, and has learned, comes to me.
Because I have an extraordinary memory, and I know that you do not believe that the entire Bible is true. I also know that you have a new age belief and that you do not follow the scriptures, except for the teachings of Jesus.

So tell me, why do you continue to dance around the questions?

You have stated that you believe Jesus is your guru (yes, you did, look it up in your posts). You don't believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God so therefore you cannot know the God of the Bible or His Son Jesus.

You have incorporated the teachings of a man named Jesus because you like what He taught, as well as many other gurus, I'm sure. If you do not believe the Bible to be God's Word then how can you claim to know the one true God and the one true Jesus?

Anyone can study the teachings of Jesus and not believe that He was a real man that just happens to be the Son of God and died on the cross for our sins. It's just a good story, right? But still just a nice character in a fictional book written long ago that has no relevance today.

So I'll ask you the same question....Do you believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God? It's a yes or no question, btw.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:17 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
You don't believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God so therefore you cannot know the God of the Bible or His Son Jesus.
What utter nonsense. But then I don't adhere to other strange teachings so I will never be a Mormon, a JW, an RC, or whatever strange sect you are a member of.
Quote:
If you do not believe the Bible to be God's Word then how can you claim to know the one true God and the one true Jesus?
By the fruits of the spirit.......can YOU prove otherwise?
Quote:
So I'll ask you the same question....Do you believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God? It's a yes or no question, btw.
Of course not. I do not accept that Old Testament is anything but the History of the Jewish people. The creation story is nothing more than a primitive people trying to explain where they came from. Further I think Paul's letters were included to support the empire of Rome. Suppose you explain why the gospel of Mary was excluded?

Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Because I have an extraordinary memory, and I know that you do not believe that the entire Bible is true. I also know that you have a new age belief and that you do not follow the scriptures, except for the teachings of Jesus.
You simply cannot comprehend the simplest concepts about the truth you revere. The bible IS true . . . but you have no idea what that truth really is. Simplistic literalist reading does NOT produce the truth within the bible inerrantly . . . but if it suffices to lead you to Jesus . . . it is good enough for YOU.
Quote:
So tell me, why do you continue to dance around the questions?
What you see as "dancing around" is intelligent discernment of the truth.
Quote:
You have stated that you believe Jesus is your guru (yes, you did, look it up in your posts). You don't believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God so therefore you cannot know the God of the Bible or His Son Jesus.
You remember me being accused by Fundy of thinking of Jesus as a guru. I believe that Jesus possessed the consciousness of God and revealed that to us in all its glory . . . Is there any other way to be ONE with God? I don't believe your simplistic reading and interpretation of what the bible says and means is inerrant . . . the bible itself IS.
Quote:
You have incorporated the teachings of a man named Jesus because you like what He taught, as well as many other gurus, I'm sure. If you do not believe the Bible to be God's Word then how can you claim to know the one true God and the one true Jesus?
You have willfully remained ignorant of the sincere attempts of others to understand God and our purpose that exist elsewhere and then criticize me for recognizing the vallidity of Jesus AFTER understanding all those other sincere attempts to understand. I maintain my informed belief is more legitimate than your blind one . . . but God will judge.
Quote:
Anyone can study the teachings of Jesus and not believe that He was a real man that just happens to be the Son of God and died on the cross for our sins. It's just a good story, right? But still just a nice character in a fictional book written long ago that has no relevance today.
I am convinced Jesus was a real man . . . it is central to his importance to the rest of us as the way to God.
Quote:
Only to the simple minded, DOTL . . . but that is acceptable if it leads them to Jesus.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
Thank you DOTL and welcome back, hope you have had a good walk with the Lord.

Somebody, Please, PLEASE, PLEASE, Show me where and what scriptures we have misinterprited. Accusations have been made but evidence is absent.

OK, Goodpasture, you basically just admitted to not being a true Christian. I am trying to remember but I believe, and I could be wrong, MysticPhd you said you were gnostic.

Now Goodpasture wnts to know why the gospel of Mary was excluded. I would have to look at it to see but I am sure it did not meet the criteria for canon.

Goodpasture, I know what you are going to say, there I am judging again, but that is far from the truth. I am merely pointing out your rejection of the truth. You reject the creation story and Pauls writings and I am pretty sure your comment of the OT being a History of the Jewish people as being some sort of discounting. Dont get me wrong I am just trying to understand where you are coming from.

In all actuality we need the Bible as a guide book, not picking and choosing what to believe. You can discount Paul all you like but you will find what he has to say in the other epistles and the gospels as well as within the OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity