Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is Your Favorite Pastor?
Creflo Dollar 3 2.83%
Joel Osteen 14 13.21%
TD Jakes 10 9.43%
Joyce Meyer 19 17.92%
Neither 60 56.60%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,641,690 times

Advertisements

I listen to Joyce Meyer every morning and have tons of her books and tapes. I think she is practical and is based on scripture. If you listen to Joel he rarely uses a scripture. Joyce has a full schedule and is not just resting. She probably does have plenty of money since she has written about 70 books, and why not. She also gives a ton away. It's not up to us to judge. I do think you have to take a look at things and decide how you feel but I have learned a great deal over the years from her and I appreciate her journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 PM

178 posts, read 402,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I listen to Joyce Meyer every morning and have tons of her books and tapes. I think she is practical and is based on scripture. If you listen to Joel he rarely uses a scripture. Joyce has a full schedule and is not just resting. She probably does have plenty of money since she has written about 70 books, and why not. She also gives a ton away. It's not up to us to judge. I do think you have to take a look at things and decide how you feel but I have learned a great deal over the years from her and I appreciate her journey.

It is Evil for a Priest to teach for Money

One who preaches God's Word for money is not a true man of God.
Micah 3:11-12, "The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us. Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed as a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of the forest."

A man of God is not to seek his own gain.
Isaiah 56:11, "Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter."
1 Corinthians 10:32-33, "Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the congregation of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved."
1 Timothy 6:5, "Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself."
A minister of God is not to covet money, nor expect money, when he preaches God's Word.
Acts 20:33-34, "I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Paul is pointing out that while he had been teaching in the synagogues each Sabbath and ministering to the needs of the people, he did so at his own expense and even provided for the expense of any of his assistants by the work of his own hands. Paul was reinforcing the Old Testament examples of being a strong, contributing member of the community. Paul himself, was labouring with his own hands - working to look after his needs and those of his fellow workers, while taking from his own time and expense, to preach the Gospel to those who needed it.

Paul believed that it was more blessed to give spiritual enlightenment to the people than it was to receive material reward for so doing. Paul was one of the New Testament's best examples of how to be a disciple of the Word of God. Paul's special calling was indeed to be a disciple to the Gentiles. He went on to say that it would be an abuse of his authority to do otherwise, and worse yet, that by looking for material recompense, he would actually be hindering the Gospel from reaching those that had no material things to give.
2 Corinthians 2:17, "For we are not as the many, making gain by corrupting the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ."

Do you still think Joyce Meyer is "practical and based on scripture"?
God is the only judge. Compare His Word with what you believe is true and then state whether or not you "feel" she is on a Godly "journey".

Old 01-14-2009, 12:28 AM

740 posts, read 2,009,639 times
They are all members of the health, wealth and prosperity gospel. Prosperity theology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOT the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I am still looking into Rick Warren. He doesnt take a salary from his church and lives off of his book sales. From what I understand he even paid the Church back for all the money he did accept before become a successful writer. If this is true then I personally commend him. I have also heard that he spend alot of money helping people in Africa. The only problem I can find with him at this time is that maybe he is not spending enough, Christ did tell the young ruler to sell all he had and give it to the poor. Dont get me wrong, I have the same problem with myself, we could all be doing more no matter how much we are doing. So I would have to say, from what I know, Rick Warren would put the rest of these folks to shame.

As for Rick Warren, he is the real deal. He is a man of GOD teaching the word of GOD. When Christ told the rich young ruler that he needed to go and sell everything that he owned to follow Him, He was exposing the rich young ruler for what he really was. Someone who worshiped money. http://www.jesuswalk.com/lessons/18_18-23.htm Some of God's chosen in the bible lived richly, but they worshiped only Him and would have gladly given it up if asked to do so. Job was a very rich man. He did not worship that wealth. I wonder if these Prosperity gospel preachers would give their wealth? I wonder how much, if any, they give to charitys?

Last edited by ibcwife; 01-14-2009 at 12:53 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 01:00 AM

If you would like to listen to some true preachers of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, you can listen to any of the programs on this website, or find the programming in your area. Bott Radio Network

Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,010,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I love Joyce Meyer. I've also listened to some TD Jakes over the years. Both ministries do a great deal out outreach to other countries, street ministry and jail ministry.

I've also recently picked up two Joel Osteen CD sets at Goodwill. I've listened to both of them. I've found his messages encouraging... not at all what he's being made out to be.

Imagine that. Encouraging people to love God and our Lord Jesus Christ and to be happy....

Encouraging people that there is hope.... regardless of their circumstances...

Lets burn them at the stake.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-14-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,506,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I love Joyce Meyer. I've also listened to some TD Jakes over the years. Both ministries do a great deal out outreach to other countries, street ministry and jail ministry.
Joyce Meyer tells people they are little gods, her gospel is atrocious. TD Jakes isn't even a Christian. He believes all roads lead to heaven, nuff' said.

Quote:
I've also recently picked up two Joel Osteen CD sets at Goodwill. I've listened to both of them. I've found his messages encouraging... not at all what he's being made out to be.
Imagine that. Encouraging people to love God and our Lord Jesus Christ and to be happy....
Encouraging people that there is hope.... regardless of their circumstances...

Lets burn them at the stake.
Joel Osteen is an excellent motivational speaker but he is not a preacher, he doesn't even have a gospel other than, Jesus loves you? no mention of the Law, sin, repentance and faith. The Apostle Paul said, preaching of the cross is foolishness to the unrepentant. Olsteen preaches a feel good lucky gospel which is un-founded and un-biblical; come to Christ and you will prosper and your life will be great, what verse is that? I would like to see him preach that in the Orissa State in India where Christians have bounties on their heads, preferably dead. Why should people come to Jesus? so they can get stuff? that is the wrong way to come to Jesus. The symbol of the cross is dieing to self. If you can't understand that then you can't be a Christian. He is preaching a doctrine of hell.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 AM

Joyce Meyer calls herself a christian motivational speaker. I've never heard any teaching on any of her many tapes that would align with what you're accusing her of.
There is a particular "christian" cult that teaches that doctrine, however. God actually led me into one of their bookstores once where I witnessed to them out of one of their own books. You can be very certain that I am not a blind follower. Thanks for your concern.

Fundamentalist, you really need to calm down.

I've been a christian for 30 years. I lived through the real prosperity teaching time. I also remember shepherding and many other false teachings that have been out there during the last 30 years.

I don't need you to tell me what a real christian is.

YOU and those like you are the real poison in the christain community. People don't want to associate with real christians because they don't want to be associated with people like you!

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-14-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 09:40 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,506,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Joyce Meyer calls herself a christian motivational speaker.

Fundamentalist, you really need to calm down.

I've been a christian for 30 years. I lived through the real prosperity teaching time. I also remember shepherding and many other false teachings that have been out there during the last 30 years.

I don't need you to tell me what a real christian is.

YOU and those like you are the real poison in the christain community. People don't want to associate with real christians because they don't want to be associated with people like you!
I am calmed down. We are to be salt and light, I assume you know what that means. Do know how light feels to the eyes when coming out of darkness for a long time? or what salt does to a wound? I am not here to make friends, I expect criticism and name calling from the world even from other Christians, especially liberal ones. I am here to proclaim the truth, the gospel in a very gentle, loving yet assertive way which in many ways can be impossible since the gospel by itself is offensive. I mean claiming to be the only truth and all and that Jesus is the only way.

All those ministries are weak but God still uses them to His glory.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM

Default God uses all those ministries for His glory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I am calmed down. We are to be salt and light, I assume you know what that means. Do know how light feels to the eyes when coming out of darkness for a long time? or what salt does to a wound? I am not here to make friends, I expect criticism and name calling from the world even from other Christians, especially liberal ones. I am here to proclaim the truth, the gospel in a very gentle, loving yet assertive way which in many ways can be impossible since the gospel by itself is offensive. I mean claiming to be the only truth and all and that Jesus is the only way.

All those ministries are weak but God still uses them to His glory.
I know the Gospel, Fundamentalist. I know the purpose of the church. I do not want to again remind you of my background in the Lord.

It's really too bad that your church has taught you that "not making friends" is the way to spread the truth of the Gospel. While it is true that the gospel offends some, the fact is that no one listens to offensive people. Why would anyone want to hear the "truth" that you have ???

I remember what it was like to be a new christian. I've watched many other new believers like you over the years. I sincerely hope that you make it through this obnoxious, over zealous time without harming too many people - or being harmed yourself.

In the meantime, please, please don't talk to me.

Thank you.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-14-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity