Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you love God of the Old Testament?
Yes 21 77.78%
No 6 22.22%
Indifferent 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Do you think maybe He still does that?

He is still the same. He still loves us all, wants us all to love Him. He still doesn't have a desire for us all to perish but wants us all to live in Him.

Keep talking to me, though...I really want to know. lol
He might. But I see no scripture that points to that in the NT. Then again I'm not a scripture freak so if its out there just let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
This sounds like what my kids said back in the day.... now that they have grown up and see me differently.... but I haven't changed.
Oh so wee see it differently now. So how would Job see it now? The same?

Your example doens't make sense to me. Are you saying the NT is a represenatation of us humans getting smarter and more mature?

Thats an interesting gospel.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:32 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
He might. But I see no scripture that points to that in the NT. Then again I'm not a scripture freak so if its out there just let me know.
Ah ha. You brought up willful and allowing. Now that I have to think on. Now I see what you mean! I hadn't thought of it. Thanks...

Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,288 times
Okay, im going to take a shot at this. The original question was Do we love God of the Old Testament.... My answer would be yes. He is the one that sent (not the proper word i understand) Jesus, who died on the cross for our sins.
I may not be understanding the question properly, and for that i apologize. But God is God in the Old and God in the New.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 AM

My answer:

I could drink a beer with Jesus. He'd be all cool and we could discuss things like if you spell God backwards its dog and .."hey isn't that funny...."

I feel like if I drank a beer with OT God he'd just stare at me while I drank. I'd ask questions and he'd want to smite me for my dumbness.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:54 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
My answer:

I could drink a beer with Jesus. He'd be all cool and we could discuss things like if you spell God backwards its dog and .."hey isn't that funny...."

I feel like if I drank a beer with OT God he'd just stare at me while I drank. I'd ask questions and he'd want to smite me for my dumbness.
I like the beer parable... but to add... He'd smite you 'cause you would be to young to have a beer.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I like the beer parable... but to add... He'd smite you 'cause you would be to young to have a beer.
I am quite smiteable.

How old do you have to be to have a beer?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:31 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Any warrior that goes to battle smiling and happy is NOT doing so for God.
Wanna bet?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
OK theory coming, hold on....

We are living in a testing ground and have been since time began. We just cannot seem to get a passing grade so God sent us the cheat sheet, Jesus. Many passed without really knowing so while others have failed believing they passed.

If God chose genocide to destroy the few while saving the many then so be it. Often it is believed that children are safe til a certain age so their deaths would actually be a saving experience. Women were subject to their husbands and therefore no held accountable for their own actions being pretty much slaves so death could have been a saving experience to them. Then we have the actual slaves who did as commanded by their masters and therefore death was a saving experience to them. Now that leave some ignorant warriors who are serving their leader and possibly death could be a saving experience to them. Now we come to the leaders who knew better and told God to get bent. So lets see the possibility of a few burning while the rest received a saving experience thru death. Rememeber this is just a theory and could be considered full of crap but I like it.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
Quote:
Sorry not doing it and willfully allowing it to happen are the same thing.

For instance:
My friends decide to rob a bank. I know all the details and I decide not to go with them. However I don't call the police. I'm still guilty.
So the scripture at James 1:13-15 is a lie ???

Well one thing is for sure. You are not alone in not understanding the purpose of the book of Job being written. But that's for another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty
But then again I'm not a scripture freak so if it's out there just let me know.
No one has to be a scripture freak. Just do some simple reading and study. My point with the the original poster is the idea of a violent genocidal maniac God that was being portrayed with the God of the old testament. That's why I would'nt do the poll because it did'nt make sense.
There is simply nothing terrible that Satan has caused that can't be reversed and undone by the creator.

Rather than assuming God is responsible for all the terrible things going on throughout history, it would behoove you to take the effort and find out. You may not like a lot of scriptures, but there is one that at least illustrates that it is only fair to listen and allow God's word to explain his purpose and side of the story.
Proverbs 18:13 - "Amplified Bible"
Quote:
He who answers to a matter before he hears the facts, it is folly and shame to him"
But again, you're certainly not being forced to believe anything you don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity