Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you love God of the Old Testament?
Yes 21 77.78%
No 6 22.22%
Indifferent 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
So the scripture at James 1:13-15 is a lie ???
When did I say it was a lie? I didn't mention God being "tempted". He willfully let Satan do what he did. Hell I wish he were tempted.. that would at least be an excuse.

Quote:
Well one thing is for sure. You are not alone in not understanding the purpose of the book of Job being written.
I wasn't debating the understanding of Job. No worries.. you are not alone in not understanding what I write.

Quote:
No one has to be a scripture freak. Just do some simple reading and study.
You assume by my statement that I haven't done simple reading and study. Would would lead you to that conclusion? That I stated I'm not a scripture freak? Brilliant deduction.

Sidenote: Given the amount of misrepresentation of ones words on this board alone its amazing to me that anyone should listen to anybody elses interpretation of scripture because it seems reading comprehension on this board is that of a 1st grader.

Sidenote complete.

Quote:
There is simply nothing terrible that Satan has caused that can't be reversed and undone by the creator.
Except Job. Job never got that time back did he? Nope.. not ever. He was made to suffer and God allowed it. Honestly there is no other way to put it. Its not as if Job was punished because he didn't believe.. He was punished because he was pious! That is effing RICH!!!!!!!!! YOU CANNOT DENY THIS!

Quote:
Rather than assuming God is responsible for all the terrible things going on throughout history, it would behoove you to take the effort and find out.
Again.. I never assumed God was responsible for all the terrible thinigs going on throughout history. Please find a quote of mine that states that. Never once have I said that. I see reading comprehension is continuing to diminish.

I simply stated an EXAMPLE FROM THE OT WHERE OT WRATHFUL GOD WILLFULLY LETS SATAN BESTOW HIS DEEDS ON JOB. Why might you ask did I go to that point in history.. that one point in all of history. BECAUSE ITS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT WHICH IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ALL ABOUT.

For the love of it all..stop putting words in my mouth.

Quote:
You may not like a lot of scriptures, but there is one that at least illustrates that it is only fair to listen and allow God's word to explain his purpose and side of the story.
Proverbs 18:13 - "Amplified Bible"
Blah blah blah.. pull out some other "pudding pillow talk" scripture from proverbs about "if one doesn't hear.. " blah blah blah.

Typical response when someone doesn't like talking about the Old Testament. Not only typical.. but predicatable as well!

Quote:
But again, you're certainly not being forced to believe anything you don't want to.
Again.. what I'm forced or not forced to believe isn't the subject at hand is it?

The OT talks about the Old Testatment version of God and the New Testament version of God.

predictably most said "What choo talkn' bout.. I don't know no difference in da two"

I pointed out a difference..

You pointed to proverbs which makes no sense in this instance.

Thanks for playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
but surely you can see a difference in God between OT and NT.
No I don't, there is only ONE God Isaiah 43: 10 says "I am the Lord and there is no other God, there never has been and never will be". Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever".
In a changing world, we and trust an unchanging Lord.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
Default God OT = God NT

Exodus 3:14 (NIV) - God said to Moses, "I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

Here, God is telling Moses his name is I AM.

John 8:58 (NIV) - "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

Here, Jesus is calling himself I AM - the same name God used in the OT.

Revelation 1:8 (NIV) - "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Again, Jesus is telling us another of His titles - the Almighty. This is the same as a title for God in the OT. These verses (among many others) are what lead me to believe Jesus is God - they are one and the same. If we can accept and love Jesus, then we should be able to accept and love the complete God, including God as we read about him in the OT.

You can be uncomfortable with the descriptions and the accounts as recorded in the OT that God himself commanded. However, that is for each one of us to resolve to our own satisfaction. It's a matter of faith. The entire counsel of God, His word, the bible is completely reliable. Some can decide it was "primative man's" writing and not give it much weight. Others can use false gospels that are far less reliable and that contradict the accepted word of God to justify their beliefs. In the end, I believe God's word will stand.

The accounts as accurately recorded and preserved in the OT happened for a reason; they served a purpose. Whether God commanded them directly or allowed them to occur, they did happen just as is provided for us in the bible. Accept it or don't accept it. Simply because one cannot understand the reasons does not mean we should disregard it or dismiss it. We do that to our own peril.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Wonderful post mams!!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:14 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Exodus 3:14 (NIV) - God said to Moses, "I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

Here, God is telling Moses his name is I AM.

John 8:58 (NIV) - "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
So, Christ is calling himself god...and yet...

Quote:
"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.You shall have no other gods before Me.
Exodus, 20:2-3

So, if Christ was Yaldabaoth's son, than wouldn't he of been jealous of him too? Christ was calling himself GOD, in clear defiance of Yaldabaoth.

Quote:

Revelation 1:8 (NIV) - "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."
Revelation are the ramblings of a man in exile suffering from dehydration who had a beef with Nero. It has nothing to do with any of the other books of the NT.

Quote:
You can be uncomfortable with the descriptions and the accounts as recorded in the OT that God himself commanded. However, that is for each one of us to resolve to our own satisfaction. It's a matter of faith.
I would never have "faith" in someone so petty as to punish humanity with suffering for the original "sin" of wanting knowledge. Not to mention that he made the Pharaoh stuborn, just to have a chance to show off, at the cost of countless innocent Egyptian citizens (exodus 7:3) Now how is that a god worth worshipping?

Quote:
The entire counsel of God, His word, the bible is completely reliable. Some can decide it was "primative man's" writing and not give it much weight. Others can use false gospels that are far less reliable and that contradict the accepted word of God to justify their beliefs.

"Less reliable" because the church says so! Despite many of those "false gospels" pre-dating Revelation...

Quote:
The accounts as accurately recorded and preserved in the OT happened for a reason; they served a purpose. Whether God commanded them directly or allowed them to occur, they did happen just as is provided for us in the bible. Accept it or don't accept it. Simply because one cannot understand the reasons does not mean we should disregard it or dismiss it. We do that to our own peril.
Trying to understand Yaldaboath is performing the ultimate act of criminal profiling. It's better to leave the creator alone than to try to understand him, because all that evil could drive a man insane. In the words of the great Frederick Nietzsche:

That would explain all those Nicenes over the ages reading the OT, than going on to massacre so many people in the name of "the prince of peace".

"You can dance with the devil (Yaldabaoth) but the devil don't change, the devil changes you!"- Max California, "8mm".

Old 01-14-2009, 12:43 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Quote:
When did I say it was a lie? I didn't mention God being "tempted". He willfully let Satan do what he did. Hell I wish he were tempted.. that would at least be an excuse.

I wasn't debating the understanding of Job. No worries.. you are not alone in not understanding what I write.

You assume by my statement that I haven't done simple reading and study. Would would lead you to that conclusion? That I stated I'm not a scripture freak? Brilliant deduction.

Sidenote: Given the amount of misrepresentation of ones words on this board alone its amazing to me that anyone should listen to anybody elses interpretation of scripture because it seems reading comprehension on this board is that of a 1st grader.

Sidenote complete.

Except Job. Job never got that time back did he? Nope.. not ever. He was made to suffer and God allowed it. Honestly there is no other way to put it. Its not as if Job was punished because he didn't believe.. He was punished because he was pious! That is effing RICH!!!!!!!!! YOU CANNOT DENY THIS!

Again.. I never assumed God was responsible for all the terrible thinigs going on throughout history. Please find a quote of mine that states that. Never once have I said that. I see reading comprehension is continuing to diminish.

I simply stated an EXAMPLE FROM THE OT WHERE OT WRATHFUL GOD WILLFULLY LETS SATAN BESTOW HIS DEEDS ON JOB. Why might you ask did I go to that point in history.. that one point in all of history. BECAUSE ITS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT WHICH IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ALL ABOUT.

For the love of it all..stop putting words in my mouth.

Blah blah blah.. pull out some other "pudding pillow talk" scripture from proverbs about "if one doesn't hear.. " blah blah blah.

Typical response when someone doesn't like talking about the Old Testament. Not only typical.. but predicatable as well!

Again.. what I'm forced or not forced to believe isn't the subject at hand is it?

The OT talks about the Old Testatment version of God and the New Testament version of God.

predictably most said "What choo talkn' bout.. I don't know no difference in da two"

I pointed out a difference..

You pointed to proverbs which makes no sense in this instance.

Thanks for playing.
That's okay, have another beer Thirsty

Old 01-14-2009, 03:40 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
[quote=RobinD69;6976624]OK theory coming, hold on....

If God chose genocide to destroy the few while saving the many then so be it. [quote]

Interesting, if man chose genocide we would call him a murdered and hang him, but if God does it, it is okay.

I agree that it appears that Jesus worshipped the same God, but that is only appearances. Jesus spoke of a God of love, not one that goes around killing people. His teachings were Buddhist teachings--to compare his to Buddha's would show you this.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:42 AM

161 posts, read 418,173 times
Default of course!!

HE IS THE SAME GOD AS THE ONE IN THE NEW TESTAMENT.
JESUS!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:49 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
That's okay, have another beer Thirsty
Too early. Instead I just request you debate the topic and not me.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:01 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Quote:
Too early. Instead I just request you debate the topic and not me.
Well to be honest, considering who created the thread, it definitely was a big waste of time.

LoneStar or Coors is on me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity