Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times

Advertisements

There are probably many other types of Jesus Camps in the United States. Let's not play naivety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
sidenote.. that camp is no longer in existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
There are probably many other types of Jesus Camps in the United States. Let's not play naivety.
I'm not playing.. I think we can all agree here that if the camp were still around I'd be all over it (not in a good way).

I was just pointing out that particular camp is no longer in existence. I can't make the assumption that others are out there just like that one since I haven't seen it though I'm pretty sure they are out there.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
I have a curious question as I have seen Jesus Camp and came to the same conclusion that pretty much everyone else on this thread has so far come to.

Though it's been a while since I've seen the documentary, I seem to remember that the majority of the parents did not seem to attend the camp with their children as is quite often the case with many sorts of summer camps. Of course, there were a few parents who participated but the impression I got was that many of the children went there with their parents under the assumption that their children were simply going to... "Jesus Camp".

Certainly, the documentary interviewed the parents of some of the children but I still don't think many of the parents knew what type of camp they were really sending their children to. I could, of course, be absolutely wrong.

So, my question is this:

If your church had a "summer camp" and some parents told you how good it was and how they participated, etc... Would you be willing to check into the proceedings of the camp even though it was a product (or byproduct) of your church especially in light of the fact that it was a church-organized "in the name of Jesus" event?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,038 times
I have never seen the documentary. In response to Troop's question though....when it comes to my kids, I am pretty much leary of anyone or anything. I would have a hard time sending them to any "camp"....and probably wouldn't.

Did they have a menu of camps to choose from, and did they think that the Jesus camp would be more wholesome?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'll also add that I think this is a very fringe group and not representative of your average Christian fundamentalist.
I wish it were more fringy but here in Texas this same mindset is widespread. You either voted for George Bush or for... ungodliness and abortion (demo). The spiritual warfare thing is widespread with millions engaging in what they see as a fight to the death against libs and Islam.

I'm curious exactly what some see as so 'fringe' about the group.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Who has seen this documentary and what are your opinions?
The scariest part was when they were having the kids 'worship' a cardboard cutout of prez bush!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
The scariest part was when they were having the kids 'worship' a cardboard cutout of prez bush!
Praying for him and worshiping him are different. Yes.. I found them pawing over him (either way its weird to me).

However I thought the weirdest was putting fake fetuses in the childrens hands and explaining thats what a 7 week old baby looked like.

1. Very Weird
2. Very Incorrect (7 week old fetus part)

Jesus+Camp+fetus+002.jpg (image)

Old 11-26-2014, 10:41 PM

418 posts, read 708,351 times
According to the loud lady, Harry Potter would have been put to death in Old Testament times:

Harry Potter is the Devil! - YouTube

"You don't make heroes out of warlocks!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity