Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:33 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

I have been told lately by a few in this forum that my witnessing techniques need work, that I am doing more harm than good bringing people to Christ furthermore that I should pray about my attitude. I had no idea I was witnessing to people, I thought I was debating theology with Christians but since we are in a critiquing mode. Let's see how Jesus did it.

"Jesus and the woman at the well" screen play, Act 1 Scene 1 (with alil narrating)

ACTION!!

Jesus: "Give Me a drink." (What? no hi or how are you, just woman. That's chauvenist)

Woman: "How is it that You, being a Jew, ask me for a drink since I am a
"For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans. (Get lost)

Jesus: "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." (I know a pickup line when I hear one-really forward)

Woman: "Sir, You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep; where then do You get that living water?
"You are not greater than our father Jacob, are You, who gave us the well, and drank of it himself and his sons and his cattle?" (and you are?- I think the woman is getting miffed)

Jesus: "Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again;
but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life." (I gotta hand it to Jesus, slick talker- kinda full of Himself though)

Woman: "Sir, give me this water, so I will not be thirsty nor come all the way here to draw." (She's kinda digging it)

Jesus: "Go, call your husband and come here." (Jesus being forward and a bit rude)

Woman: "I have no husband." (What are you talking about and why is that your buisness)

Jesus: "You have correctly said, 'I have no husband';
for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly." (WOW! That is judgmental)

Woman: "Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet.
"Our fathers worshiped in this mountain, and you people say that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship." (You got me)

Jesus: "Woman, believe Me, an hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father.
"You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
(Wait! is Jesus saying, She is wrong and that there is only one truth, and he has the audacity to say He alone has it?)

Woman: "I know that Messiah is coming He who is called Christ; when that One comes, He will declare all things to us."
(You have your truth and I have my truth)

Jesus: "I who speak to you am He."
(Jesus is the ONLY way)

WOW! such a witness encounter would be deemed by today's standards as judgmental, intolerant and offensive.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-14-2009 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Jesus would be kicked out of todays Churchs for not meeting the dress code and for being rude.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:46 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
I have always wondered how the guys who wrote the New Testament knew exactly what Jesus said? I mean, those stories were written a LONG time after Jesus died. Someone must have had a realllleeee good memory, or a good tape recorder, to get all those quotes down word for word.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Jesus would be kicked out of todays Churchs for not meeting the dress code and for being rude.

Ha Ha! How true! I guess he will have to return in a buisness suit with a nice tie, shiny shoes, and clean shaven to meet today's standards! : )

Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I have always wondered how the guys who wrote the New Testament knew exactly what Jesus said? I mean, those stories were written a LONG time after Jesus died. Someone must have had a realllleeee good memory, or a good tape recorder, to get all those quotes down word for word.

The 'guys' that wrote the NT (and all the rest of the Bible) were inspired by God, through the Holy Spirit. They wrote as they were directed to, by the Spirit of God. The Spirit gave them all things that pretains to life and godliness, which includes all that Jesus said and did that He wanted recorded for all of us.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
The 'guys' that wrote the NT (and all the rest of the Bible) were inspired by God, through the Holy Spirit. They wrote as they were directed to, by the Spirit of God. The Spirit gave them all things that pretains to life and godliness, which includes all that Jesus said and did that He wanted recorded for all of us.
I agree, it is the Word of God, reliable.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:53 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,981 times
The point is that he was offering living water....
You can pick apart anything but you are missing the message of God
When you understand that time in history the conversation makes perfect sense.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:56 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times
Default Your doin' just fine Fundy.

You have a heart for the Lord...and He knows and sees all things...He knows your heart Fundy...and if all your guilty of is spreading the truth of the Gospel as best as you know how...then so-be-it...but don't ever stop doin' what you do, no matter what anyone says, because I'm very sure that the Lord is pleased with your efforts to reach the lost and your passion to do so......you have a lot of heart...as do so many here... ...there IS a lot of judgement being spread around here...and I don't think there are very many who aren't guilty of this...(myself included)...but the Spirit of God is upon you and all who do their best...the truth of the matter is...not ONE of us...not ONE, can sit here and say they know it all, because in one way-shape-or form we are ALL wrong somewhere in our interpretations...you've stood strong Fundy, and just the fact that you postd this thread says that you do care and you are searching inside yourself...if we'll all just stand in judgement of ourselves, we'd be able to see how Little we really do know...I don't know about anyone else here, but the more I learn...the more I mature in the Word of God..the more I realize how little I know...but this won't stop me from doing my very best to spread the Word that is in my heart!...because this is what we are supposed to be doing! If we were supposed to be perfect in our beliefs before we witnessed to anyone...we wouldn't have any witnessing going on!......there's only ONE who is perfect...God Bless you...Love

Old 01-14-2009, 07:58 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
The point is that he was offering living water....
You can pick apart anything but you are missing the message of God
When you understand that time in history the conversation makes perfect sense.
I think it was rude, talking about her sex life, telling her she was wrong?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I think it was rude, talking about her sex life, telling her she was wrong?
Are you serious???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity