Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,013,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Trust me on this one: June knows she knows essentially nothing. And doesn't claim to. So if she has come across as "puffed up," then please know she's not, and apologizes.
dear, dear June7th....

My intention was to concur with your post. The Scripture states that "we know in part"...

The second one says that "knowledge puffeth up but love edifieth".

I was agreeing with you....

No one has it all right. To insist and to argue and criticize is not God's way.

There are some who come here who really aren't christians, i.e., they don't believe that Jesus Christ was God in the Flesh, they don't believe that it's only through believing in Jesus and what He accomplished by His death and resurrection that we are saved. There are many who really aren't believers that call themselves christians who come here to spread false doctrines. I believe that in those cases that christians are responsible for exposing the truth.

But, all of this arguing amongst believers just drives people away from wanting to know about God. The Holy Spirit may draw people to want to know about God but it's certain that if those people come here, they will most assuredly be driven away -- shaking their heads.

Moderator cut: needed to be edited

I just wanted you to know that I was in agreement with your post.

I wish you God's best in your life...

WC out

Last edited by june 7th; 01-16-2009 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Because it would be interpretted as a "goodbye" post, which the Terms of Service doesn't allow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,523,319 times
I am sorry World Citizen feels that way. I must admit, I have often shared the same feelings.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,159,383 times
THIS is what browbeating, arrogance, and divisiveness gets!

I weep for you, World Citizen. I am so terribly sorry.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:42 AM

599 posts, read 1,257,561 times
Quote:
Not that she'd know, but it would seem to June that somewhere within a belief system that is centered around "For God so loved the world" and has as it's very foundation the underlying premise that "God is love" would somehow have just a tiny little bit of room for all those who truly believe in that to have a gentle spirit and heart.

What has forever served to further reinforce June's atheism is the difficulty that she sees here repeatedly, every single day: That the desire to be heard, to get one's point across (as regards their belief) is so forcefully upheld and defended amongst those who profess to be "one body in Christ" that the above becomes secondary to getting one's own point across. The result is that you convince no one other than your own selves; you may reinforce that which you profess within yourself, but where the entire essence of the real message is totally lost.

In other words: June reads and hears you but not the Voice that you tell her is speaking through you. That voice becomes totally lost. (And please don't tell June that she does not "hear" as June suspects that she is somewhat more adept, more atuned to listening than even she would care to recognize and/or acknowledge. She spends her days listening...)

If in any situation it is a contentious matter of "I am right" such that "you are wrong," then someone is always going to be left on the outside; out in the cold. June is surely unable to reconcile the fact that within the "one body in Christ" there is implied unity. Let alone the fact that somewhere within that unity is an implied message of love. Based on what June recalls of the Bible, Jesus wasn't looking to leave too many people out in the cold. June suspects that even Jesus knew that everyone prefers warmth, as opposed to the hollowed emptiness of cold...June also suspects that it is not an easy task to internalize any message of love such that it becomes an attitude of the heart, (whereby it is truly written in the heart) in such a way that it thereby translates into what and how one writes in order to get their point across. June, more than anyone would be aware of the fact of how difficult that is, as she knows in her shivvering that cold begets cold. As such, she resides in that place that allows for cold to gradually give way to warmth; where darkness gradually gives way to light. Just as the night goes from utter black darkness to the gradual, barely perceivable and gradual presence of light, so too does June hold that hope that within that barely perceived process will someday be, within some possible sunrising, a little less of Jhn 5:39-44, and perhaps just a little bit more of 1 Corinthians 13. --Because even June can still recall at least one passage from the Bible; the one that states: "Love is always patient and kind." Somewhere in there, June's thinking there's got to be just a little gentleness...

June has always prefered gentle music. It's inherently peaceful. To the one person who knew how to sing gentle notes, this one's for you.

Take gentle care.
June dear, I agree with everything you've said here. I think it makes God very, very sad to see what has happened to His body here on earth. All of this arguing within the church is not glorifying to His name!!

I posted on another thread several months ago about pride and what a horrible thing it is. Pride is what we're dealing with here, plain and simple. We are all guilty of it, some more than others (and if you're really honest with yourselves, you know who you are ).

Think about it. Pray about it. Whatever it is you do, do it all to the glory of God...and not to edify yourself.

And World Citizen, I'm so terribly sorry to see you go....I will pray for you....and all of us!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,048,267 times
Quote:
Not that she'd know, but it would seem to June that somewhere within a belief system that is centered around "For God so loved the world" and has as it's very foundation the underlying premise that "God is love" would somehow have just a tiny little bit of room for all those who truly believe in that to have a gentle spirit and heart.

What has forever served to further reinforce June's atheism is the difficulty that she sees here repeatedly, every single day: That the desire to be heard, to get one's point across (as regards their belief) is so forcefully upheld and defended amongst those who profess to be "one body in Christ" that the above becomes secondary to getting one's own point across.

Yes, God is love, but there's more to Him. Much more. Did He not drive the money changers out of the temple? He seemed to have a desire to be heard, to get His point across.

Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves. MATTHEW 21:12

Old 01-17-2009, 08:08 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,499,910 times
Question Yeah, bring poor Jesus in line with..

... any authority you perceive to be more important than your fellow beings!!!

That SAVES you and the rest world, like the sands of time!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
... any authority you perceive to be more important than your fellow beings!!!

That SAVES you and the rest world, like the sands of time!
I appreciate your posts, but am frequently left in the dark as to what you mean

Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 AM

Smile Ok, if you'll accept me as a non-expert..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I appreciate your posts, but am frequently left in the dark as to what you mean
I was - indirectly - speaking of Paul who commended being loyal to the worldly powers as being instituted by (the same) God!

A loaded and tricky issue, but this is the (still) FREE PART of the World, Marian.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
I was - indirectly - speaking of Paul who commended being loyal to the worldly powers as being instituted by (the same) God!

A loaded and tricky issue, but this is the (still) FREE PART of the World, Marian.
Thank God for that..i.e. the "FREE " part. I am afraid it is little by little being taken away form us. It reminds me of the old story about the frog in the pan of water, over a turned on burner....

Old 01-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Thank God for that..i.e. the "FREE " part. I am afraid it is little by little being taken away form us. It reminds me of the old story about the frog in the pan of water, over a turned on burner....

Precisely, and you - complacently? - "allow" it to happen... a-gain???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity