Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
sigh --read the pledge of allegiance--one nation under GOD----SINCE GOD AND CHRIST ARE ONE--WE ARE A CHRISTIAN NATION
And those who believe in other Gods (it is a generic term . . . after all) can just as easily make the same claim. All it signifies is that we are a nation that was founded on a belief in God who establishes our inalienable rights . . . Everything else is debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 05:03 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
And those who believe in other Gods (it is a generic term . . . after all) can just as easily make the same claim. All it signifies is that we are a nation that was founded on a belief in God who establishes our inalienable rights . . . Everything else is debatable.
No it isn't and I am not even American. Go see what is written on George Washington's grave or Thomas Jefferson's tomb, go see the scripture on the liberty bell, ten commandments at the Supreme Court.

Sorry but this Country was built on Christian principles- the Christian God,you just don't want it to be.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

No, it's loving, He gave us THE way to Heaven.
It is this kind of arrogance that gives Christians a bad name.

Who are YOU to tell me my believes and spirituality are inferior to yours because I d not believe the same you do?

Old 01-18-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
sigh --read the pledge of allegiance--one nation under GOD----SINCE GOD AND CHRIST ARE ONE--WE ARE A CHRISTIAN NATION
Of course, the phrase "one nation under God" was added much later. It was not part of the original Allegiance.

Quote:
Half a century ago, at the height of anti-Communist fervor, Congress added the words ''under God'' to the Pledge of Allegiance. It was a petty attempt to link patriotism with religious piety, to distinguish us from the godless Soviets. But after millions of repetitions over the years, the phrase has become part of the backdrop of American life, just like the words ''In God We Trust'' on our coins and ''God bless America'' uttered by presidents at the end of important speeches.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A9649C8B63

Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
It is this kind of arrogance that gives Christians a bad name.

Who are YOU to tell me my believes and spirituality are inferior to yours because I d not believe the same you do?
I didn't say it, God it

Old 01-18-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I didn't say it, God it
I rest my case.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:26 PM

112 posts, read 173,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
George talked "Christian," Obama walks the walk.......

I believe you have got that completely reversed

Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KySS View Post
I believe you have got that completely reversed
Lets see what transpires......we can always look at the fruit, can't we....such as, lets see how who claims waterboarding is legitimate and who claims it is torture.......

Old 01-18-2009, 07:39 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,514 times
MysticPhD,
I’m sorry I had to leave our discussion yesterday, it got late and today was busy.
Quote:
Please stop being disingenuous and simply admit to your error in attributing it to a "faith only" paradigm. I tire of this evasion.
I’m sorry that you think I’m being disingenuous or evasive; I can assure you that is not my intent it would serve no purpose. Maybe you can help me understand the parable from your point of view?
Quote:
Read it [Matthew 25: 31-46] again . . . they were the EXACT SAME WORKS!
As you point out the works were “exactly the same”. So my question is why did Christ Jesus Judge those on the right favorably and those on the left unfavorably? Please help me see this from your perspective.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
MysticPhD,
I’m sorry I had to leave our discussion yesterday, it got late and today was busy.

I’m sorry that you think I’m being disingenuous or evasive; I can assure you that is not my intent it would serve no purpose. Maybe you can help me understand the parable from your point of view?
I'm sorry, Salt . . . there is so much reticence among some here that I assume too much.
Quote:
As you point out the works were “exactly the same”. So my question is why did Christ Jesus Judge those on the right favorably and those on the left unfavorably? Please help me see this from your perspective.
Yes they were . . . because those on the Left DID NOT DO them . . . those on the Right DID.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-18-2009 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity