Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 AM

39 posts, read 67,862 times

Advertisements

For myself, a friend had witnessed to me of God's love at a time of desperation and brokeness. As she spoke to me of his love, I will never forget the inner pain that I had inside at this time in my life, and how her words so powerful, were unbinding the pain in my heart. It lead to a complete inner healing. The more I seeked him the more he took away my pain.
Family couldn't understand it at first and even seemed upset with me for turning to God. But He gave me something no one or the world could not give, which was an answer to how to heal the pain. I couldn't let go of what he gave me.
I do believe my family could see the changes in me and were thankful for them. My Dad (who is now gone) did become a believer and admitted to me that he was very worried and knew that there must of been something special that happened to me with God.
My spouse also became a believer (at the same time as my Dad -had been praying 9 years for this)and we attempt our best at raising our children with the truth of God. I truly beleive that it was the love demonstrated to me by God that lead the ones I love to him.
I now also am experiencing some family and friends becoming more open to the subject of God and find they open the doors to discussion about it. God will remind me of the power of prayer when I've neglected to pray for them.
His spirit draws and his love contagious when people can see how his love has been demonstrated to us. God Bless. Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 PM

14,875 posts, read 17,146,555 times
Thank you for sharing, gracegirl. God bless.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
i can see that many share my view. it is by the grace of God that I go. the holy spirit bears witness to the truth at the appropiate time. Getting caught in thinking you have somehow won a soul for Jesus is misguided, self righteous and the reason the "bible thumper" label gets applied.

you cannot imagine how offensive you become when your bad timing tries to catch someone in their sin,(of course you don't see your own) and you tell about the punishment etc etc ad infinitum... Read Acts to see how it was done. and see what the source was.
amen captain

Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
amen captain
When is it ever a good time to catch someone in their sin? Hopefully before they take their last breath. Today is the day of Salvation. Today!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:03 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,175 times
I don't think I have that kind of power, and if I did I don't think I'd be comfortable enough to brag about it.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:06 PM

305 posts, read 1,233,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Zero.

I don't win anyone over. That is the work of the Holy Spirit in them. I am simply trying to be a messenger, a servant of my Lord to the best of my ability.

ditto.....none.

Holy Spirit did it all............

Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
When is it ever a good time to catch someone in their sin? Hopefully before they take their last breath. Today is the day of Salvation. Today!
don`t let your heart be troubled betsey...God is in control

Old 01-20-2009, 02:19 AM

381 posts, read 798,686 times
One thing very important in all of this is our testimony. I think that when we can share what God has done for us, we become witnesses and real stories to the hearer .

I have been keeping a blessings journal for about 8 years now. I write down accounts of blessings big and small in everyday life. I hope to leave this behind for my kids and their kids in a book form. God willing.

Personally, I feel strongly that my own battle is against the forces of darkness that would seek to discredit my testimony. This would make me ineffective in God's army. I fight the good fight of faith everyday knowing that God is depending on me to keep this testimony which He has so richly blessed me with to "give an account of the hope that is within me". I've never had to seek out anybody. One man that I shared the message of salvation with came to me after we built a casual friendship since I went to his store for gas and coffee almost every week. It took about 4 to 5 years to unfold.

I think then that real community, real relationship that is god centered is a process that unfolds. people who are lost and in trouble want to tell you their problems but only after they believe that you are credible, can be trusted and are genuine.

this instant salvation, easy believism is counterfiet, not authentic and can't be "forcefed" by good God fearing people to those who aren't ready to choose or rather God hasn't drawn them nigh.

the parable is clear...alot of it falls on stony ground, by the wayside and among thorns....

Old 01-20-2009, 03:38 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Amen.

God works through us and we are only His instruments. It's His work that draws individuals to Himself and we are a part of that work. God bless.
i am a catechist---don't know if i have won any over,but have encouraged teenagers sucessfully to participate in their religion---i hope to be of service to god as long as HE allows me

Old 01-20-2009, 06:27 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I don't think I have that kind of power, and if I did I don't think I'd be comfortable enough to brag about it.

Actually the 'power' is not in us. It is in the word of God, the sword of the Spirit. It is our 'job' to present it to them.
I don't think anyone should "brag" about it either. They should rejoice if a soul has obeyed the truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity