Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,311 times

Advertisements

Mystic - I appreciate your posts and find you very sincere. Kind words speak volumes to many who question.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
My daughter, who is 21, read this book and loved it. She asked me if I wanted to read it, and after her telling me some about it, I told her no thank you. With all that's been said about it here, maybe I should read it, come to my own conclusion about the book, and that way if I think it's heresy as some has said, I can talk with my daughter about it.

I know she has told my brother and his wife all about it, and want them to read it. They are babes in Christ, so now I'm a little worried...
Worried? About what?

Ask your daughter how she feels NOW about the God she serves. I think the answer might suprise you alittle. Why do you think so many people recommend this book? It isn't like we read it, and were brainwashed immediately by it. Like it's some sort of cult thing. I didn't agree with everything in it, but I would never discount the entire book based upon that. If that were the case, I would discount even the bible, because I do not believe in killing for the purpose of "serving" God. Why? It goes against the primary commandment to love. But hey, it was for His purpose, and His ways are higher than ours. So I can read it, be disgusted by it, and then move past it.

People always ask why bad things happen to good people. This book explains it ok. People always ask about the concept of the Trinity. This book explains it ok.

The younger generations LOVE this book, as it explains LOVE that they might never have known before. Remember, the love of many will wax cold in the latter days. Where do we think this starts? How about the house where they grew up, watching TV and playing video games, or being indoctrinated into state schools. Conforming to a sense of godliness, but lacking the mental capacity to know God, so they love the world instead. I am not saying your daughter fits into this profile, but the majority of the people do. Otherwise our country might look a bitt different these days.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Worried? About what?

Ask your daughter how she feels NOW about the God she serves. I think the answer might suprise you alittle. Why do you think so many people recommend this book? It isn't like we read it, and were brainwashed immediately by it. Like it's some sort of cult thing. I didn't agree with everything in it, but I would never discount the entire book based upon that. If that were the case, I would discount even the bible, because I do not believe in killing for the purpose of "serving" God. Why? It goes against the primary commandment to love. But hey, it was for His purpose, and His ways are higher than ours. So I can read it, be disgusted by it, and then move past it.

People always ask why bad things happen to good people. This book explains it ok. People always ask about the concept of the Trinity. This book explains it ok.

The younger generations LOVE this book, as it explains LOVE that they might never have known before. Remember, the love of many will wax cold in the latter days. Where do we think this starts? How about the house where they grew up, watching TV and playing video games, or being indoctrinated into state schools. Conforming to a sense of godliness, but lacking the mental capacity to know God, so they love the world instead. I am not saying your daughter fits into this profile, but the majority of the people do. Otherwise our country might look a bitt different these days.
I'm a little worried, because my sister in law automatically believes what anyone tells her, and I can see her reading this book and believing it as absolute truth.

I asked my daughter what she got out of the book. She said she understands the concept of the trinity better. Good for her!

You act like I'm wrong for wanting to read it myself. My daughter is a very intelligent woman, knowledgeable in the bible. I know she picked up on things in the book that might not agree with the bible. However, my sis in law and brother probably will not. I think it would be a good thing for all of us to read it then discuss what we got out of it, and what is or is not biblical.

These are reasons why I don't read many religious books like this. I'd rather keep reading the Twilight series...least I know for a fact there's no such thing as vampires...or is there???? (insert Twilight Zone theme song here)

Old 01-21-2009, 03:30 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Mystic, we go round and round about this and I feel you may not even realize what you are doing, but twisting someones words is a tool of the evil one even if your intentions are noble.
What you call twisting was simply showing Curly that what she said goes both ways . . . whether for the purpose of promoting the book or for warning about the book . . . the same words apply. It cannot be ok for one version and not ok for the other.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:33 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
OK but please be careful.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:35 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Sometimes it is very hard for christians to grasp the extent and depth of the love of God ..The reasons bad things happen and the unseen, unknown blessings of the outcome from those events which may or may not be understood by us for a long time....In the authors case, the senseless, brutal death of his little girl by a serial killer.

IMO, this is an excellent book that explains these questions in the way Jesus taught us..by stories, as in parables..The author was personally explaining to his children these things through his storytelling skills...
The author had no desire to have this story published, but his children were so touched by it that they shared it with friends who passed it along until it fell into the hands of a publisher...I highly reccommend this book

Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM

381 posts, read 798,948 times
This is absolutely unbeivable. It is a fictional story with some writing that accurately nails the reason forgiveness works in a life and about loving and healing.

I cannot even grasp the reason some of you are suggesting this writer is now proclaiming this is the new modern story of who God is and how he operates.

I'm blown away.

We didn't get a spirit of fear. fear hath torment. test the spirits because it sounds like soime are being tormented. maybe Satan doesn't want you to read the book. ever consider that? Are you afraid of a fictional story about a dad who loses his little girl? c'mon people. help me Jesus!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:23 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
The DaVinchi Code was a fictional novel and movie and many people chose to believe it.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:48 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
This atheist read the book.

This atheist loved the book.

This atheist found herself rethinking some things as a result.

Now there's an answer for ya.

Maybe.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 PM

342 posts, read 540,677 times
Many have highly recommendned this book but I think God recommends that we read HIS BOOK......and meditate on HIS WORDS......man's understanding of the Trinity is impossible....BUT the shack I guess has figured it out???? not likely............the road to heaven is narrow only a few ever find it.....these are the words and the warnings of Jesus.....Jesus said he who listens to MY WORDS and obeys them is wise...........He spoke often of the comming JUDGEMENT.....John the baptist spoke of the need for repentance......God so "loved" the world that he gave his only begotten son......to save sinners; and all have sinned; thus the death penalty....."God takes sin seriously"......the ONLY way to escape judgement is to be covered in the Blood of Christ......just as the Israelites painted blood on their doorposts in Egypt at the first passover.......so must we be covered in the rigtheousness of Jesus Christ in order to be saved.......God is a God of Love and a God who will forgive all who turn to Jesus for salvation.......but at the 2nd comming and return of Christ....times up....the terrible day of the Lord will come upon people like in the day of Noah.......God will pass Judgement on all who are not covered by the Blood of Christ........The Bible is the survival handbook....God highly recomends we read it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity