Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 01:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times

Advertisements

we have recently talked much about universalism again, we're throwing bible verses at each other that everybody seems to understand different

as for the doctrine of eternal hell, the bible clearly supports it:

But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him (Luke 12:5). And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom (Luke 16:13). Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels (Mt. 25:41). And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever (Rev. 14:11).

No, wait a minute, does the bible actually teach everlasting torment?

O that thou wouldst keep me, and hide me in the hell, until thy wrath were stilled: and to appoint me a time, wherein thou might remember me (Job 14:13). Fear not those who can only kill the body, but cannot hurt the soul: rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna (Mt. 10:28), for the wages of sin is death: but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (Romans 6:23). And the sea gave up the dead in it. And death and hell gave up the dead in them. And they were each judged according to their works. And death and hell were thrown into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death (Rev. 20:13). I find more bitter than death the woman who is a snare, whose heart is a trap and whose hands are chains (Ecclesiastes 7:26).

Now annihilationism is proven with certainty, is it?

He was the true Light; He enlightens every man coming into the world (John 1:9). "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me” (John 12:32). In like manner as by one man's offence, condemnation came upon all men, even so by the righteousness of one man, will the victory unto life be to all men (Romans 5:18). For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive (1Co. 15:22) For in Him thought well all the fullness to dwell; and through Him to reconcile the whole to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross, by Him, whether the things upon the earth, whether the things in the heavens (Colossians 1:19.20). And the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death (1Co. 15:26).

What now, have I proven, everlasting torment and annihilationism and universalism to be the truth? - that's impossible, you see the topic is very complex. Does the bible contradict itself? – one might think so, but I guess not, you can't reconcile everlasting torment with the extinction of the wicked, you can't also reconcile universal salvation with the extinction of the wicked, but you can reconcile the final salvation of all with limited punishment and only temporary destruction of the wicked, those who insist that the bible teaches everlasting torment create the greatest contradictions, contradictions not found in the bible itself but caused by tradition of men opposed to the genuine message of the bible, annihilationism creates fewer contradictions but can't erase clear verses, I admit that universalism appears to create also minor contradictions, but in my opinion the fewest among these possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 PM

33 posts, read 68,593 times
FOCUS ON THE MAN AND NOT ON HIS PLAN!!!

As Christians why should we worry? Lets make sure we stay faithful to the Lord and do as Jesus commanded. "Go forth and make disciples of all the nations"

The Bible says we wont understand everything and lets not try to make ourselves God by trying.

I like your post above, that just backs up the fact that we wont know until we can ask Jesus face to face.

GOD BLESS

Old 01-23-2010, 11:37 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester_Jay View Post

As Christians why should we worry? Lets make sure we stay faithful to the Lord and do as Jesus commanded. "Go forth and make disciples of all the nations"

The Bible says we wont understand everything and lets not try to make ourselves God by trying.

I like your post above, that just backs up the fact that we wont know until we can ask Jesus face to face.

GOD BLESS

It seems to me if you don't understand Gods plan then you can make disciples of anyone ... If gods plan is only to save those that are disciples of Christ, then the method of proselytizing is altogether different than if you believe God is the savior of all men, that is to say that God plans to save all men.

I command and teach these things which i have bee told to teach by the scriptures. That God is the savior of all people. And that he is especially the savior of those that believe on him.(1 Tim 4:10)

Old 01-23-2010, 12:07 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester_Jay View Post

GOD BLESS

Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
It seems to me if you don't understand Gods plan then you can make disciples of anyone ... If gods plan is only to save those that are disciples of Christ, then the method of proselytizing is altogether different than if you believe God is the savior of all men, that is to say that God plans to save all men.

I command and teach these things which i have bee told to teach by the scriptures. That God is the savior of all people. And that he is especially the savior of those that believe on him.(1 Tim 4:10)

Old 01-23-2010, 04:32 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The only eschatology is Jesus Christ was promised from the beginning to come and take back the world that Adam had lost to the devil, ,,,, for the devil was bound up before Adam was created and was released after Adam unbound him by his stupidity..... There is NO eschatoloty glory for individual Christians for we are the Lords and the Glory to the Lord forevermore......After the Judgement day of the Lord, hell will be destroyed,,,,, but the lake of fire and the place were The Lord God and his children and helpers will be the only two realms left..... For if the Lord God want to begin a new creation,,, than all the worship will be to him..Glory to God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity