Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
Huh? That sounds racist.
No, she is referring to the fact I eat raccoon.....coon And yes I really do eat it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
What an awesome story. I have grown so much over the years because I used to think that JWs were just lost people who were following the teachings of Charles Taze Russell. Then I realized that they do sincerely believe that they are in the truth because of the way that the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society has presented their version of the gospel to them. You can call them lost all you want; but their method of evangelizing is working. NOT THAT I AGREE WITH THEIR JESUS OR THEIR REASONING OF SCRIPTURE; but, we as church going members need to have that same type of zeal and faithfulness as the JWs.
Totally agree! I have always admired Jdubs evangelistic effort

Old 02-02-2009, 09:41 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
I don't answer the door.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
I was advised by a pastor years ago to avoid any of the side issues: birthdays, blood transfusions, etc and keep turning the conversation back to my personal testimony of being born again, the Spirit of God indwelling me, knowing God relationally, etc.... any variation on the simple gospel and its personal interaction with me.

I wish I had a story like mroark's grandfather to share. The closest I have is when one of the youth in my group years ago asked me to meet with him and some witnesses that had knocked on his door and had engaged in spirited debate. The lady did the same as my guy had done and brought reinforcements for the second visit. A gentleman more higher ranking was with her. I used this advice from my pastor. The gentleman with her was unmoved by our testimonies, but the lady was at tears at one point, obviously shaken. We agreed to meet again. The next time the lady was replaced by the gentleman's wife. I have wondered if they thought the first lady was in danger of falling from the faith as there was a definite impact of the gospel being presented. I have hoped and prayed since that the seeds we planted did have an effect and one day we will meet with her again in heaven.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 02-02-2009 at 11:17 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 08:11 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
One blistery cold morning my doorbell rang. I answered to see a well kept, elderly woman in a long coat and high heeled shoes holding papers and a bible. Since it was so cold, I asked if she would like to step inside. She said she really couldn't because her husband, who was waiting in the car on the driveway, wasn't feeling well and she had to go. I noticed an elderly looking man waiting behind the steering wheel of the car. This woman asked if she could return on the following Sat. and asked for my phone number. I gave her my number and then thought, "why did I do that?" after I closed the door.

Saturday morning, she calls about 9:30 am to tell me that she couldn't make it because she was up until 4:30am. Her husband had emergency surgery during the night. I asked what kind of emergency he had. She answered, "His big blood vessel which comes off of the heart ripped open." When I asked how he was doing, she answered, "He doesn't look so good." "They gave him his own blood back during the surgery and that is okay since the blood never leaves the body but his red blood corpuscle count was 4." I read her husband’s obituary in the paper two days later.

I thought I wouldn’t be hearing from her for awhile but she called the following Saturday! She came over and when I expressed my sympathy on the loss of her husband, her response was, “We were married for 57 years, oh well.”

Well weeks later, she is still calling and coming over. I have a hard time saying no so I thought I had a good plan to discourage her. I told her what I do for a living (I am an anesthetist). I told her that I do anesthesia for really big surgeries with a lot of blood loss and I give MASSIVE amounts of blood products to the patients literally dialing them into the patient through a rate controlled machine. Her response was, “That is okay.” I thought, “You just let your husband die from lack of blood but for me it is okay!”

Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
My advice is to pray for them, maybe offer a quick testimony, do not, repeat do not accept their literature, and according to the bible we aren't even supposed to allow them into our houses.
I didn't know the Bible even mentioned Jehovah's Witnesses. Could you tell me chapter and verse?

Quote:
Taking their literature will only make them more prone to come back to your house, because that puts you on their return visit list.
I've taken their literature on numerous occasions. Yup, they always come back -- probably about once a year or so. Seriously, it kind of sounds like you're afraid of them or something.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
You mean you don't see it? It is right there after the verses that condemn birthdays, christmas, voting, college education, boy scouts, girls scouts, high school sports, valentines cards, etc etc etc
Is that before or after the account of Jesus associating with people everyone else thought were beneath them?

Quote:
Seriously though, the bible does say that anyone who brings a different gospel, we should not even invite them in our homes. I can't remember where this scripture is, but maybe someone on here does.
So, you don't allow anyone in your home who doesn't believe exactly the same as you do? I'm curious as to which denomination of Christianity you belong to? If you are a Baptist, do you not allow Catholics in your home? If you are a Methodist, are Lutherans forbidden from visiting you? Just where do you draw the line?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:19 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,774,940 times
Once I have a home......I would certainly let them in. Why pass the chance to convert someone back out of that crazy religion.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I have hoped and prayed since that the seeds we planted did have an effect and one day we will meet with her again in heaven.
Has it ever occurred to you that you might meet her in Heaven even if she remains a Jehovah's Witness?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,774,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that you might meet her in Heaven even if she remains a Jehovah's Witness?
Hey. nothings impossible right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity