Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Is that before or after the account of Jesus associating with people everyone else thought were beneath them?

So, you don't allow anyone in your home who doesn't believe exactly the same as you do? I'm curious as to which denomination of Christianity you belong to? If you are a Baptist, do you not allow Catholics in your home? If you are a Methodist, are Lutherans forbidden from visiting you? Just where do you draw the line?
I think you are missing her point...she is talking about not letting someone into her home whose teachings are not grounded in the Bible solely for the purpose of "witnessing" to her. I'm betting she has no problem letting her friends, who might happen to be of another faith, into her home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 10:36 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
Quote:
Has it ever occurred to you that you might meet her in Heaven even if she remains a Jehovah's Witness?
Well, the final authority on that is not me of course and I wouldn't wish anyone a place outside of heaven.

Being that the scriptural plan of slavation and the Watchtower plan of salvation are completely at odds, no, I do not believe her spritual journey is leading her into a saving relationship with Jesus Christ and the regeneration of her lost spirit if she maintains entrenched within the Jehovah's Witness sect.

And according to her doctrine, only the 144,000 will make it to heaven, and while I am not an expert on Witness doctrine, I do believe that JWs today believe all those spots are already filled and their best hope of eternal life is here on the new earth to come, so I don't think she expects to meet me their either if she remains a JW.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Well, the final authority on that is not me of course and I wouldn't wish anyone a place outside of heaven.

Being that the scriptural plan of slavation and the Watchtower plan of salvation are completely at odds, no, I do not believe her spritual journey is leading her into a saving relationship with Jesus Christ and the regeneration of her lost spirit if she maintains entrenched within the Jehovah's Witness sect.

And according to her doctrine, only the 144,000 will make it to heaven, and while I am not an expert on Witness doctrine, I do believe that JWs today believe all those spots are already filled and their best hope of eternal life is here on the new earth to come, so I don't think she expects to meet me their either if she remains a JW.
You are right. But I think the JWs have gotten mixed up this paradise on earth with Jesus 1000 Millenium Reign on Earth. They believe that He has already spriturally returned, and I think the date they said that He returned was 1914. They have this whole mathematical formula that goes back to the year that the Jewish temple was destroyed 606 or 603 BC adding up to they year 1914 based on Daniel's prophecies. IT'S DEEP, AND YOU GOTTA DO THE RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN TO SEE HOW MUCH IN ERROR THAT THEY ARE.

I can't remember, but THEY ALSO TEACH THAT Jesus is not having a literal 2nd coming as the church believes. They teach that HIS PAROUSIA-the Greek Word for Coming, OR 2ND COMING as we believe, has already happened in 1914, and it was invisible where he's reigning now, separating the sheep from the goats. The sheep of course are all JWs and JW new converts. The goats are all false religions and our churches that believe belong to Babylon.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 AM

661 posts, read 1,183,819 times
Quote:
I didn't know the Bible even mentioned Jehovah's Witnesses. Could you tell me chapter and verse?
Isaiah 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

In some Bibles it says Jehovah instead of Lord.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Isaiah 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

In some Bibles it says Jehovah instead of Lord.
Who cares what the name is. I have had someone argue that you should be baptist because the name Baptist, as in John the Baptist, is in the bible A rose by any other name should still smell as sweet. Who cares what the name is, substance is what matters.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,503 times
I had a lady come by, and I let her in. We studied for a while, but only about Jesus. She finally asked if she could come back the next week. I agreed. The next time was the same, we couldn't get past Jesus. So the third visit she asked if we could just move on. I told her if we couldn't agree on Jesus, moving on was useless. She told me she wouldn't be back. I lived in that house for about 8 yrs after that, and never had another JW knock on my door.

She was a very sweet woman. Even with my bad memory, I can picture her in my head, because she had the wildest hair-do.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:21 AM

473 posts, read 714,608 times
whenever a jw, or a mormon or whoever comes knocking at my door, if i am able, i let them in. i listen to what they have to say. sometimes i ask questions. my husband thinks i'm nuts. but as i explained to him-
first- am i so ungrounded (close minded) in my own beliefs that i cant listen to someone elses? am i afraid i might hear something that will change me, or challenge me?
second- wisdom comes from gaining knowledge, not turning away opportunies to learn. how can i defend what i believe if i have no knowledge of other beliefs.
and finally, i believe that if you believe in an omnipotent God, a benevolent God, one that created us all with different personalities, that same God would have understood that it would take more than one path to get us to know him, and he wants us all to know him- wether you call him God, the creator, higher power..... so i will respect their beliefs, and i will not try to change them. my path is my own, and so is theirs.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I say, quick! I have 5 minutes to live, I acknowledge I have done the most despicable things a person could do and I am scared of dieing and going to hell, or "eternally separated from God".
How do I obtain eternal life? Remember I have 5 minutes, they can't because their religion is based on legalism and work righteousness. You show them that there is nothing we can do to earn our way to heaven, Apostle Paul said, only by faith alone. (They will hit you with James when he said, "faith without works is dead") Study on what James really meant.

I let them give me their good news and then I give them the good news. Leave them at the door with the knowledge that there is a distinct difference in our religions and that we don't worship the same Jesus so therefore we both can't be right. If they are right, no biggie. I get a second chance in the new earth but if you are right then they are going to hell for eternity.
"by faith alone" - The word "alone" was added by Luther. Not a proper translation.

And you really need to add what YOU think James really meant. Because as a Protestant, what you think it meant doesn't mean the Protestant next door agrees with your interpretation. It also means your neighbor could be right and YOU could be wrong.

One last thing. Isn't Heaven full for the JW's? Just another case of "You snooze, you lose". Ah, God in His infinite mercy.....aaahhh...well, ahhhh.....finite mercy......Hey, wait a minute. I thought God was all powerful and all He could create was a heaven with 144,000 seats. Heck, they have soccer stadiums with more seating than that. And there are tickets still for sale. Maybe Luther should have said "by faith alone and you must be an early Christian". Wait, he should of just said, "Too late. Let's party!!!".

Last edited by juj; 02-04-2009 at 08:17 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
"by faith alone" - Alone was added by Luther. Not a proper translation.
(Ephesians 2:8–9)
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

The Apostle Paul was pretty clear that it was faith alone and Luther wanted that clarity known especially to those who were trying to add works so one can think they can work their way to heaven. It is God alone so He can get all the glory.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 02-04-2009 at 08:09 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
(Ephesians 2:8–9)
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

The Apostle Paul was pretty clear that it was faith alone and Luther wanted that clarity known especially to those who were trying to add works so one can think they can work their way to heaven. It is God alone so He can get all the glory.
No Luther was trying to clarify what HE believed. Not the truth. If you need grace to be saved, and you need faith to get grace, and you to works to have faith that is not dead, then you need the works to get the faith to get the grace to get salvation. So you need both faith AND works to the the grace needed for salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity