Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,356,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Lets see if I can tackle this; A true Christian does sin but doesnt sin. When we are in Christ we do not sin, but when we are in the flesh we do. We are flip floppers, we fall short of the glory of God, we are works in progress. When we focus on the Lord and ignore the flesh we do not sin, but we are in a world that is very distracting and causes us to fall out sink with the Lord and then we sin. You are a Christian so long as you follow Christ, but as soon as you turn from Him you are of the world. Take Peter for example, when walking on water, so long as he stayed focused on Christ he was fine, as soon as he took his eyes off Christ he began to sink. So I will say a little bit of #1 and #2, it actually depends on how deep you want to go with the understanding.
I was hoping not to go very deep. So you agree that a Christian can occasionally take their eyes off the Lord, and sin, but can repent of that sin, confess it, and be forgiven of it, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:19 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,852,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Thank you both for your simple answers!!
does that make us simple?

only kidding.....

Old 02-03-2009, 09:19 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,843,332 times
Quote:
I was hoping not to go very deep. So you agree that a Christian can occasionally take their eyes off the Lord, and sin, but can repent of that sin, confess it, and be forgiven of it, right?
Yes that is my take on the subject.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 AM

852 posts, read 1,366,927 times
#1---but of course it should be our goal to not sin...but we will.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,581,959 times
Quote:
LOL....You asked a very deep question.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:23 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,356,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
does that make us simple?

only kidding.....
LOL...I hope not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Yes that is my take on the subject.
Thank you, RobinD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
#1---but of course it should be our goal to not sin...but we will.
Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
LOL....You asked a very deep question
Fundy, you wanna step outside??? (You wouldn't hit a girl, would ya? lol)

Old 02-03-2009, 09:24 AM

If am out of town on business with my fellow employees and at night they want to got to the strip club. I decide right then and there I won't because of my love for the Lord therefore I am abiding in Him. If I wasn't then I would go with my fellow employees.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Fundy, you wanna step outside??? (You wouldn't hit a girl, would ya? lol)
If I did then I would not be abiding in Him

Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,893,433 times

The idea that "true Christians" don't sin has been proven countless times to not be true. We are not instantly perfect, living a totally sinless life, the second we become born again. We still have the carnal mind and flesh to battle with...which by their very nature want to sin.
The words of the Apostle Paul:

(Romans 7)

15For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Evidently the new man (inner spirit) that is born-again doesn't sin, but the old carnal nature, and the flesh, sure does.

Was the Apostle Paul "another phoney Christian"?

The entire chapter of Rom 7 is a good read on this topic.
We are to put off, leave behind, bury...the old sinful nature as we mature. Becoming sinless is a learning and maturing process. It is good that we all are having this debate...good to understand and learn about this aspect of being Christian.

Bud

Old 02-03-2009, 09:32 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,222,719 times
Quote:
You didn't answer the question.
I know, neither option works for me.

It is like not judging folk. Pretty simple the conviction should not come from us.

Hence, like what Paul said, what is sin to you may not be sin to me, and James states we work out our salvation with fear and trembling.

The either/or of your question suggests the opposite of what these two church fathers thought.

It is just that shiny mirror, those 3 pesky fingers that always point back and like that beam in the eye vs. the mote Jesus spoke of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity