U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 02:56 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,183,337 times

Advertisements

To whom is Jesus speaking? Who was not to finish going through the cities of Israel before He came?

Preterist
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:09 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,806,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
To whom is Jesus speaking?
Is He speaking to you?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Is He speaking to you?
NO! He is speaking to His disciples right there with Him. This is plain language, cg81--language you don't otherwise misunderstand, I'm sure. While Jesus is standing right there with His disciples, having told THEM the things that were to happen to THEM, He tells THEM that THEY THEMSELVES will not finish going through the cities of Israel BEFORE He COMES! That is what it says, cg81. WE are not the YE!

Preterist

Old 02-25-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
NO!
Preterist... do you have any scripture references in the Bible where Jesus (or God) is speaking to you?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 AM

134 posts, read 168,947 times
He is speaking to the 12 disciples.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Preterist... do you have any scripture references in the Bible where Jesus (or God) is speaking to you?
Greetings, cg81: They all "speak" to me. By that I mean, that ALL Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable. Those things that are spoken directly to others about things that were to happen to them personally, "speak" to me. In those things I find clear examples of the faithfulness of God to those for whom Christ died! What He did for them (e.g. protect, encourage, avenge, etc.), He will do for me.

But when things are placed in a particular historical setting and have a particular time of fulfillment, not all can participate. Surely you can see that, cg81? When General MacArthur said to those in the Philippines, "I shall return," to whom was he speaking and to whom was he promising to return. To you? To me? Of course not. You understand that. There was only one time frame and one group of recipients that satisfy the fulfillment. No other generation fits.

The same is true of those things spoke directly to Jesus' disciples. The things He spoke to them concerned things that were to happen to them in their lifetimes. Why is this so strange? There were many things spoken to Moses, Abraham, Joshua, David, for example, that had no direct bearing on us, yet we read about them and glean spiritual truths from them. Moses lived through the parting of the Red Sea and the giving of the Law. Do we insist that such things happen also to us? No. They were not intended to be fulfilled in our generation but in Moses' generation. My point is this--there are many things that were fulfilled in both OT and NT times that did not directly involve us (e.g. the parting of the Red Sea, Pentecost). Do we ignore them and say that they have no relevance to us because they were not given to us? Of course not! There are many valuable truths and spiritual principles to be found in those events that directly affected other

Jesus clearly told those disciples of His generation that they would see the abomination of desolation. If they were to see it, how is that we are to see also? cg81, do you not see that when you insist that the things spoken of in Matthew 24 and the Revelation pertain to us that you are thereby excluding all other generations? What about them? If those things were written to us about us, shouldn't others, by your reasoning, properly insist that they be about them as well? Only one generation can be the fulfillment generation--all others must look on from afar.

Sadly, I think it is those who place all emphasis upon us and overlook the historical setting and audience relevance of NT passages who really lose out. Do we read of the suffering, tribulation, pain, and horrible deaths of those dear brothers and sisters in Christ of that first-century, pre-A. D. 70 generation and respond in empathy, admiration, and a strong sense of companionship? Do we grow in our love for them as we read of their plights? Do we long to one day see them in glory and speak of these things with them? These are real, flesh-and-blood people about whom we are reading. Do we try to put ourselves in their sandals?

Do we see in their trials a pattern for our faith and a deepening of our love for the God of all who believe because He saw them through victoriously and will see us through as well? All these things were written for our admonition and encouragement in our faith as trials and tribulations come our way. But in order to gain the most from them and make proper application to our own lives, we must first recognize and appreciate the historical setting in which they occurred.

It is properly said--"Not all Scriptures is to us, but all Scriptures is for us!"

In Christ, Preterist

Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamax3lovelife View Post
He is speaking to the 12 disciples.
Greetings mamax3lovelife: I agree. Would you also agree that Jesus was going to come back in their lifetime--before they went through all the cities of Israel? "You will not have gone through all the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes."

Preterist

Old 02-26-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Greetings, cg81: They all "speak" to me. By that I mean, that ALL Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable. Those things that are spoken directly to others about things that were to happen to them personally, "speak" to me.
I mean scriptures like this (and I mean SPEAK, not "speak" ):
John 14:1 ¶ Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
and like this..
1 Peter 5:8 ¶ Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
These are clear examples of scriptures that were spoken to us today as well as to those in the direct setting where these words were first spoken.

Or not?

Do you not look for a mansion prepared?

Are you not resisting the devil?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,731 times
Mathew 10:23 Jesus was refering to the fact that He Himself would be visiting the cities of Israel and He sent His disciples to go ahead of Him. He sent the 70 disciples out in two's. He gave them power to do the works of the Kingdom of God. They preached the Kingdom of God. Jesus the King paid them a visit. The disciples were sent out to prepare the people to receive Jesus' and His teachings about God's Kingdom. Jesus visited the cities of Israel. He said He came for the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity