Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,434,996 times

Advertisements

I am learning not to get into useless arguments over legalism, because I refuse to argue over scripture interpretation..I imagine some people have a hard time giving it all to the Lord and allowing him to lead. Legalisms were nailed to the cross and (imo) that included going through someone superior to you to get to Him..Christ is the head of the church, we are the members working, loving, praying, praising, sharing our gifts in a wonderous perfect unison to honor the Head...No member is required to withhold what they have received that causes the body to become sick and frail and not able to stay joined to function..
God Bless you Marian, it's good to see you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:12 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,337,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Aren't those just more "culrural" things? We're Presbyterian and there is no clapping in church, raising of hands - similar to Catholic Mass. I'm not saying one way is right and the other wrong, just different, and personal preference. I was once coerced into attending an Assembly of God church with a friend (many years ago) and it freaked me out. I couldn't wait to get out of there!
Yes, I think so. I don't think that anything should be done that takes away from the preaching, or that disturbs others. But the difference would be, whether or not your congregation would look at you as though you just sinned, if you did clap during a song or after a baptism. (My daughter was saying the youth minister adamantly taught that it was wrong)

Here's an example... there is a song (can't remember the name) where after a certain line is sung, some people clap twice. That would NOT be done in the congregation I used to attend. (When I said clapping during singing, I didn't mean the whole time).

My uncle is a preacher at a "holy roller" church. I went once, and like you, it freaked me out...lol. People were hollering, swaying back and forth, clapping like crazy, "speaking in tongues", etc. It was chaos.

There is definitely a difference between that above, and just clapping every once in a while during a song.

I don't want to get off topic. But SW, these are just some of the silly things that one can be taught growing up in the church that you don't have to deal with.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:18 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,298,216 times
I was raised Fundamentalist Heathen/Pagan/Panentheist

Although I did hear something about Jesus as a young child, I re-established the relationship much later as an adult.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

Although I did hear something about Jesus as a young child, I re-established the relationship much later as an adult.
ROFL.. Bacon is in the pan

Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
ROFL.. Bacon is in the pan

Mmmmm.
Can we have chocolate chip cookies for dessert?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,687,417 times
Even though there are differences, i believe we can help one another grow. i grew up going to church with my grandmother. I stopped by the time i was a teen, and i rebelled and ran far far away from the church. many many years later i picked the Bible up. I had put a block up in my mind to everything i was told before. I read the Bible, and alot of things didnt make sense to me. So i tried to go to church, we tried several, and i was not getting it. We eventually stopped. I started reading on my own again....awhile down the road and a move, we decided to try another church. The church we found, was different. The actually help with the Bible. Its just a simple church. But with much help to anyone. I've learned from both ends.

So i think the difference in all of us, I go to church...and some dont. But we still learn from one another. And i think its an awesome gift.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 AM

I agree Sunshine..I think God places some where he knows they will grow and places some where he knows they can help I am not speaking about the building but the people within..I truly believe that we should never elevate ourselves to the point where we feel we know it all or have a better understanding than someone else..and that we are at a place of not having to search, or study anymore..I am also talking of searching, seeking and understanding of things God gives us outside of the bible..

Old 03-04-2009, 02:12 PM

14,699 posts, read 17,026,769 times
Quote:
Wow, Oakback

I grew up in the Baptist denomination and went to services regularly with my family. My mother wasn't really legalistic in her church activities basically loved to play the organ for Sunday school, but she had a heart that loved the Lord. She was my inspiration. When I became a young adult, I left there because I felt very uncomfortable with what I believed at that time to be a lot of emphasis on outward appearances, legalism, self righteousness, and I did not love dressing up being the tomboy that I was! Then during college years I began searching and reading the scriptures on my own, praying for God to lead me. I started going to the church of Christ and was a member there for about 15 years and made some very good friendships. Most of my Bible study increased during that time, and I was very evangelistic. Then I came to disagree with some of the teachings and because further searching asking God for guidance and now I am not much of a church goer, although I visit congregations from time to time. I believe that God had directed my search and had lead me to the place where I am today. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-04-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM

396 posts, read 835,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Aren't those just more "culrural" things? We're Presbyterian and there is no clapping in church, raising of hands - similar to Catholic Mass. I'm not saying one way is right and the other wrong, just different, and personal preference. I was once coerced into attending an Assembly of God church with a friend (many years ago) and it freaked me out. I couldn't wait to get out of there!
That depends on what Mass you go to. There are Masses that there are plenty of clapping and raising of the hands. Most of them are for Teens and College students, but at my old parish (well, technically I'm still registered there, but I tend to go to Mass elsewhere these days) has a "Contemporary" Mass as well as one designed for teens and the Youth Group. There is clapping after Baptisms as well. But like I said, it just depends on where you go. We're not all "stuffy" like the Latin High Mass! lol!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
That depends on what Mass you go to. There are Masses that there are plenty of clapping and raising of the hands. Most of them are for Teens and College students, but at my old parish (well, technically I'm still registered there, but I tend to go to Mass elsewhere these days) has a "Contemporary" Mass as well as one designed for teens and the Youth Group. There is clapping after Baptisms as well. But like I said, it just depends on where you go. We're not all "stuffy" like the Latin High Mass! lol!

And don't forget that crazy charismatic catholic crowd.

There are also some inner city african american Catholic congregations
that are really hoppin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity