Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:55 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I've always wondered how different we are when it comes to how we are raised. I wasn't raised as a church-goer or within a Christian family. I know many that were. We are very different. I am a Bible reader vs someone that grew up listening to sermons or going to Sunday school. I seem to be very different than those that grew up attending. I've questioned things...it hasn't been well-received. lol

Anyone else here that has a situation similar to this? Anyone else notice a difference between the two?
I was raised in a Christian home, attended church all the time while growing up, but I learned more from my mother than I ever did in church, she gave me a good foundation. I think it's great that you have question, that's how we learn, by asking and seeking answers, Jesus Himself said ask, and keep on asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 03:48 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Wow, Oakback

I grew up in the Baptist denomination and went to services regularly with my family. My mother wasn't really legalistic in her church activities basically loved to play the organ for Sunday school, but she had a heart that loved the Lord. She was my inspiration. When I became a young adult, I left there because I felt very uncomfortable with what I believed at that time to be a lot of emphasis on outward appearances, legalism, self righteousness, and I did not love dressing up being the tomboy that I was! Then during college years I began searching and reading the scriptures on my own, praying for God to lead me. I started going to the church of Christ and was a member there for about 15 years and made some very good friendships. Most of my Bible study increased during that time, and I was very evangelistic. Then I came to disagree with some of the teachings and because further searching asking God for guidance and now I am not much of a church goer, although I visit congregations from time to time. I believe that God had directed my search and had lead me to the place where I am today. God bless.
As we all know, Jesus rode on top of a jackass.

And I'm proof that he continues to do so

Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,860 times
I was not raised in church, but I always believed in God, Jesus Christ the son of God. I was always so envious of those who went to church and spoke of how they had to go, oh that would burn me as I soooo desired to go and be with God. But it wasnt untill I was 28 did I give my heart to the Lord. I read my bible all the time, pray and am involved in ministries. I love the Lord with all my heart mind and soul, or as I can. or able too withen my abilities

Old 03-04-2009, 06:06 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
As we all know, Jesus rode on top of a jackass.

And I'm proof that he continues to do so
Okay, child of the King God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity