Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
God didn't tempt Adam and Eve, Satan did and basically in a nutshell God did it all for His glory, His preordained plan, all of it for His glory, allowing for sin to enter the world, Jesus dieing for us so that He could save us in spite that we are ALL sinners and deserve nothing shows how wonderful and a good loving God He is ergo His glory
I agree. But has anyone else wondered what it would be like if God didn't allow sin to enter His world? Maybe that's more what I am questioning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
I agree. But has anyone else wondered what it would be like if God didn't allow sin to enter His world? Maybe that's more what I am questioning?
You are kind of asking the wrong question. What is heat? heat is basically the absence of cold. If only God is good then evil is the absence of God. Just the mere presence of God produces sin, free will allows that. God doesn't want walking lemmings, He wants a family and people to truly love Him. God does it for His glory and honor; without sin we could not appreciate how great, holy, righteous He is and how much He truly loves us.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 03-09-2009 at 09:57 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM

777 posts, read 1,441,269 times
Not that we are God's pets, but here's an analogy:

Let's say you have a dog, and you put the dog in the backyard.
Now - you put up a fence in the backyard, so the dog can physically "understand" his limits because there's a busy street nearby.

Are you tempting the dog to dig under the fence?

The knowledge of the tree of good and evil represents what was outside the garden - outside God's will.
It would have always been there.
Out here, we don't understand it as a tree - but if there was such a tree today, it would be very common.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:50 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
God did not temp Adam and Eve and He does not temp us today. He wanted them to obey, but He gave them freedom of choice, without that choice, they would have been like robots, their obedience would have been hollow.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 AM

589 posts, read 1,559,978 times
We are created in the image of God because in the future we will be given eternal life and become members of the God Family. By creating man he is really reproducing himself; however before we are given permanent life we need to have an education to learn Godly character and the wisdom to love righteousness, and all these can only come from experience... so here we are.

God in all his mercy does not want any human who rejected him and his way to suffer the fate of Satan and 1/3 of the angels. They were created immortals and I believe eternal life once given cannot be taken back; so the penalty for their wickedness and rebellion is eternal torment in the Lake of Fire. God does not want any human to suffer this horrible fate so he first made us mortals. The wicked who knowingly rejected his gift of eternal life will eventually be cast into the Lake of Fire to die a final death.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,843 times
Satan was an angel who fell because he wanted to be like God. God gives free will since forced love is being a puppet.
Adam and Eve had free will and make a choice. I do agree that God for-knows everything. He had a plan of salvation from the beginning.
I've always joked that if we could understand all of who God is we would be like God. We take some of this on faith.
Good question!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,843 times
I've always looked forward to Heaven because I believe that sin nature that pulls us from God will be gone. We will be free to enjoy God in all of His glory. Even when we have surrendered our lives to God that old sin nature is still with us. We struggle with doing what we want or what God would have us do. That old sin nature is sure pesky!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,571 times
Quote:
Thank you for responding. I understand all that you are saying. However, I look at it that God did indeed tempt them (did he not make the law and did he not put that tree and serpent there) knowing full well they would fail. I understand free will and Jesus dying on the cross redeeming us from our sins. When I look at the world today, it just seems like God's plan has run amok. All this free will.....
Ah yes it has all run amok, but one day all will be judged and all will be restored. What a day that will be!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You are kind of asking the wrong question. What is heat? heat is basically the absence of cold. If only God is good then evil is the absence of God. Just the mere presence of God produces sin, free will allows that. God doesn't want walking lemmings, He wants a family and people to truly love Him. God does it for His glory and honor; without sin we could not appreciate how great, holy, righteous He is and how much He truly loves us.
That's pretty cool. I never looked at it that way. That is something for me to think about. Thanks

Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,102 times
Quote:
That's pretty cool. I never looked at it that way. That is something for me to think about. Thanks
No problem, it is I who say, thank you! for you and your family's sacrifice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity