Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,308,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
I totally agree good works won't get us into heaven, but the Bible tells us are good works are all we can take with us...

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 AM

777 posts, read 1,442,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Just a question for discussion.. how can we be assured of this?
Some people run around trying to DO works. But...
Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman keeps awake in vain.
Psalm 127:1
Others say, "I just want to 'make-it-in'."
(The "just barely" group)

Scripture says:
For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Romans 8:14
Part of it is being led on our inward path toward purity of heart and the fruit of the Spirit.
As a result of that change, we can begin to produce fruit in the lives of other people.
Part of it entails being sensitive enough to the Holy Spirit to hear Him and being ready to step out in faith.

That would be my guess.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,275,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
Some people run around trying to DO works. But...
Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman keeps awake in vain.
Psalm 127:1
Others say, "I just want to 'make-it-in'."
(The "just barely" group)
Good points. Both those who run around trying to DO works, and those who are just trying to do enough works to get by are focused on works, not on faith which produces works.

Quote:
Scripture says:
For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Romans 8:14
Part of it is being led on our inward path toward purity of heart and the fruit of the Spirit.
As a result of that change, we can begin to produce fruit in the lives of other people.
Part of it entails being sensitive enough to the Holy Spirit to hear Him and being ready to step out in faith.

That would be my guess.
I agree. This walk is a walk of sanctification. We're not perfect. But if we're willing to follow the Holy Spirit, our works will reflect Christ.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,672,821 times
Quote:

I agree. This walk is a walk of sanctification. We're not perfect. But if we're willing to follow the Holy Spirit, our works will reflect Christ.
Amen!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM

777 posts, read 1,442,395 times
All I know is when "St Peter" asks me why they should let me in,
I'm not supposed to start reading off a list of things I've done for God.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,525,709 times
We should acknowledge and teach His works, not our own, lest we become filled with pride and boasting..
We should strive to become His works..

Psalm 9:1- I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvelous works. KJV

Old 03-10-2009, 01:45 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,992,615 times
Quote:
Very true.. but our works will be judged according to our faith.

"Lord, Lord.. have we not prophesied.. done many marvelous works?"

"Depart from me.. I never knew you!"
Hmmm...interesting reply, but I don't quite see how,or what the above verses have to do with faith?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...interesting reply, but I don't quite see how,or what the above verses have to do with faith?
They did not have faith in God.. the saving faith that gives birth to good works. (I never knew you.)

Therefore, though they had done many wonderful things, their good works were to no avail, being works of self and not of faith.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:18 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,992,615 times
Quote:
They did not have faith in God.. the saving faith that gives birth to good works. (I never knew you.)

Therefore, though they had done many wonderful things, their good works were to no avail, being works of self and not of faith.

Boy! I must be dense today.....I still don't get what you're saying?

Mt 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:

29 For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

This says to me that those He told, "I never knew thee" didn't live by His sayings. I don't see faith having anything to do with it?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:

This says to me that those He told, "I never knew thee" didn't live by His sayings. I don't see faith having anything to do with it?

Living faith brings about works or deeds... so in other words, if they didn't live by His sayings, they did not have living faith. (faith without works is dead)

What are His sayings? "I am the bread of Life.. no man comes to the Father but by me."

We must have faith in God to keep His sayings.
Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
A corrupt tree cannot bring forth good fruit, and we are all corrupt trees.. so we must be renewed in order to bring forth good fruit. We cannot renew ourself.. we become new by repentance thru faith in Jesus' sacrifice for our sins.
21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
What is the will of the Father? That all repent and accept the sacrifice for our salvation. If we neglect this we cannot hope to be saved no matter how many good works we do, for they are not works born of faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity