Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times

Advertisements

Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. (John 14:10)

The key is are we in the flesh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 04:18 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. (John 14:10)

The key is are we in the flesh?
Good point. Our works will show whether we are carnal or whether the Spirit dwells within.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:22 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
There is a dead faith..
James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
I agree that "in that day" is referring to the judgment on the day of His return.
Good because as I re-look at our replies to each other...we were talking apples and oranges..

I was referring to a specific people at a specific time...you were taking ( I think ) of believers in geneal??

Old 03-10-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Good because as I re-look at our replies to each other...we were talking apples and oranges..

I was referring to a specific people at a specific time...you were taking ( I think ) of believers in geneal??
Yes. I believe the specific time that verse 22 is talking about, though, is at the end of the world, when Christ returns and the whole world is judged.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:41 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Yes. I believe the specific time that verse 22 is talking about, though, is at the end of the world, when Christ returns and the whole world is judged.

Ah...what do you mean by 'judged?'

Do you mean this:

Zec 13:9 And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:05 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,259 times
Quote:
carolina_guy,
Thanks for your reply. ..I guess now it's my turn to say I didn't come across clearly as to what I was saying...

I wasn't speaking of not knowing who or what good works are, or who would do them.

I was speaking of who Christ will say, "I never knew you," to.

He isn't going to say that to just 'anybody. It's a specific people at a specific time; His return. So that means these people have done something, during the tribulation, that caused Christ to say that to them, and not necessarily had anything to do with living faith or dead faith.

Does that make more sense? I hope so...
hhmm...I think "in that day" is talking about the end of the age in general, and not the "Day of the Lord", which always refers to the tribulation period. In these last days we are in, we are at the end of the church age represented by the Church of Laodicea. There are many false prophets preaching a false gospel and a false jesus. Many use the name jesus so much to make their claims more believable. Jesus will have nothing to do with these men and women, who will cry out "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?" Their work is iniquity and apostate, and their place will be hellfire.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Ah...what do you mean by 'judged?'

Do you mean this:

Zec 13:9 And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.
No... We are refined in this life we live in, and nowhere are we promised refinement after death. We can do no works after death.. we will be judged by works done in our earthly body at the final judgment of the whole world, where all souls that have ever lived will be judged and either spend eternity in paradise or in a literal firy hell.

But again, the we cannot produce good fruit from a corrupt tree, so only works that are a result of true saving faith will be good works. In other words, our faith (again.. a GIFT of God) is the most important factor.. have we accepted the promise? If we have and we continue in this, we will produce good works.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,336,634 times
The following was published within an article by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops celebrating the agreement between Catholics and Lutherans on justification.
This "disagreement" had been going on since the 1600's.
"In faith we together hold the conviction that justification is the work of the triune God. The Father sent his Son into the world to save sinners. The foundation and presupposition of justification is the incarnation, death, and resurrection of Christ. Justification thus means that Christ himself is our righteousness, in which we share through the Holy Spirit in accord with the will of the Father. Together we confess: By grace alone, in faith in Christ's saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping and calling us to good works."

Old 03-11-2009, 04:26 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Eph 2:10)

Predestination?

Old 03-11-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Eph 2:10)

Predestination?
No, this simply means that we were all created to glorify God. He has a perfect plan for each one of us.

However, we sometimes have our own plans..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity