Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,897 times

Advertisements

Chapter 15

"He saved other people, but he cant save himself. 32. If he is really the Christ, the King of Israel, let him come down now from the cross. When we see this, we will believe in him."

How many times have we made "deals" with God? If you show me this....If you do this....If you allow this .....then i'll know your there...Then i'll know your God. I use to be a deal maker. Not anymore though...my faith has grown, my love has grown...i have grown.

Pilate to me seems that he didnt want to crucify Jesus. He actually questioned the crowd.."Why, what wrong has he done?"...however, he wanted to please the crowd...he didnt want to be that outcast....and he allowed the crowd to tell him what to do.
How many today...follow the crowd instead of doing their own thing even if you believe what what the crowd is doing is wrong. How many turn from Jesus because their peers think/tells them its "stupid" or "your weird" ....

Blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Default 15

Great point, sunshine, about "deals with God".

One point that stood out to me in Chapter 15 was "Truth".

Jesus had Truth. Jesus was Truth. He was denied, spit upon, falsely accused... and He just stood there. He didn't fight back. He didn't have to.

Truth will stand. I don't need to defend it in order for it to survive. There are times when we need to follow Jesus' example, be quiet, and let the world rant on... not drag us down.

There is Truth on this board. There is also alot of falsehood. People ask us, like Pilate.. "What is Truth?" I don't think we always need to feel pressed or obligated to answer.. especially to an inflammatory question.. because often, such a question is actually being thrown out as a RESPONSE to a certain knowledge or conviction of the Truth! Sometimes we think we need to prove Truth to everyone.. but we can rest in the fact that there is Truth available for those who truly seek.

Truth.. faced with truth, the multitudes couldn't stand it, and so they rather freed a murderer than have the Truth remain among them. And they crucified Him.

Truth... it reveals itself to us.. it reveals itself to everyone at some point in their life. It was revealed to the centurion who said "Truly, this was the Son of God."

Old 03-27-2009, 01:02 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Default Chapter 15

Chapter 15, was speaking to me in the same matter....the "Word of Truth" will stand!
The gates of hell can not prevail against it! It has stood against all the Pilate's, Pharisees (self-righteous), heretics, wolves (deceiver) in sheep clothing, to this very day!.... Praise the Lord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Truth will stand. I don't need to defend it in order for it to survive. There are times when we need to follow Jesus' example, be quiet, and let the world rant on... not drag us down.
Amen!! ^ ^ ^ ^

1Peter 2:21-23
For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: "Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth"; who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously.

v.23
I was curious about the myrrh! I believe in herbs being used for when we are sick and so forth and it was interesting....
It was used for pain. It's like a narcotic and it was used to deaden pain in those days and still used today....
The myrrh mixed with the sour wine would have dulled Jesus pain....yet He refused it!

Ps. 69:21
They also gave me gall for my food, and for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Blessings....

Old 03-27-2009, 07:32 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Great posts today!!! Yes the Bible stands on it's own, It doesn't need me to defend It, yet sometimes I feel the need to, but I am trying to learn when to be silent.
We all had a part in Jesus death on the cross, He died on that cross for us, the penalty for our sins was paid by His death, the greatest act of genuine love in history.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:36 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,897 times
Chapter 16

Faith. Believe. This is what this chapter said to me this morning. Am i doing what Jesus asks of his followers or am i running away. I'd like to think that im trying to follow Him and doing what He asks. There is always some area that i need a little more faith...and i need to believe a little more.

Thank you for continuing the reading...I have enjoyed and have grown in the word..with all of your help. I have felt a change within myself during this book. I pray that we continue growing in the word and understanding. Each one of you have become an important part of my day as we "gather" here and talk about the chapters. Blessings to each one of you.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:01 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Chapter 16

How many times in our day does Jesus appear to us? And we do not recognize Him?
The stone is rolled away and the tomb is empty......! Praise the Lord, He is Risen!
God's power has rolled away the stone from our hearts and Christ has risen within us.....the power of faith opens our hearts, ears, eyes to His promises and He will never leave, nor forsake us!!! Amen!

Blessings to all..... have a wonderful week-end and ditto to you sunshineann...

Old 03-28-2009, 08:16 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
When the two finally realized who Jesus was they rushed back to Jerusalem to tell others, I need that kind of excitement about Jesus, I need to be telling others more about Him. I need to know Him better, because knowing Him better motivates me to share Him more. As we all grow in our relationship with Christ, He will give us opportunities and inner strength to tell others what He has done for us.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:30 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,259 times
Default Chapter 15 & Chapter 16

Chapter 15

v 38 - The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.

The veil was torn -- the work was done. There is no longer a separation from God. We don't need an earthly middle-man. Jesus is our intercessor. Jesus is our middle-man. Come to Jesus and you will be made whole.
Chapter 16

v 6 - Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen;

He's alive and I'm forgiven ..

Old 03-30-2009, 07:49 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Default Chapter 16

He is risen! Joy!

The women hurry off to tell the disciples, who don't believe it. How must the women have felt? Maybe like we do sometimes when we have seen the Lord in our life.. and we want to share the joy, but we find that others don't believe. No way. God isn't real. You imagined it.

Kind of gives you a helpless feeling..

But fortunately, it's not completely up to us to reveal the Lord to someone. The women shared the good news, we can too. Jesus will reveal Himself to everyone.. perhaps not in a literal way like He did to the disciples, but in a quite, sure way. Then comes the decision to believe.

Can we trust God's power when He asks us to do a task for Him? He promised to take care of the disciples as they spread the gospel, and He will equip us with whatever is necessary when He asks us to do a task. It won't always be easy.. it may sometimes be dangerous.. and we are not necessarily guaranteed personal security, but can we trust and follow?

That is my prayer!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Hey you guys.

Sickness still running rampant here in my house. Naomi's better but not well and I've been pretty sick all weekend and even now feel like I've been beaten with a stick.

I sure didn't mean to get this far behind on my postings.

I'll let my last post stand for 12-15 (although I was actually a chapter ahead then not sure how that happened).

I'll post something on 16 ASAP.

Even though I've been derailed on my posting, my reading has pretty much been up to par!

God bless you guys!

Last edited by Alpha8207; 03-31-2009 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: because I think I was under the influence of NyQuil when I typed that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity