Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,896,687 times

Advertisements

In the same vein as this thread:

Anyone want to read Matthew?

Anyone interested in reading through Mark?

Here's the guidelines::

1-Starting tomorrow we will read a chapter a day until we are done with the book.

2-Try and make a post everyday if you can and feel inclined....at least let us know you are reading along with us even if you don't have any specific comments to share.

3-We are not reading these books of the bible to tell other people what it means or argue certain points. We are reading to APPLY TO OUR DAILY LIVES THE SCRIPTURES WE CLAIM TO FOLLOW. It is about you and your personal relationship with the Lord, not anyone else's. Are you seeking more of Him and how do these scriptures apply to that process?

4-IMPORTANT: Please pray DAILY for wisdom and discernment for the Lord to help YOU see what He wants YOU to see and then just share that experience with us.

No arguing, debating or discourse. If something comes up you'd like to debate, please start a new thread for that discussion.

Questions are always welcome. The only 'dumb' question is one not asked!

If as Christians we want to know Christ through exposure to the Word and observing how He acted and reacted, careful reading of the gospels is mandatory.

If you missed or fell behind on the Matthew read, don't worry, you can always go back and read. Let's start today and commit to 16 days of Mark.

Up for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,697,507 times
I'll commit to Mark

Old 03-12-2009, 07:32 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,795,725 times
I commit.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 AM

23,024 posts, read 34,413,899 times
Yes I will do it.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,705,766 times
Quote:
Up for it?
Yep....

Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,276,584 times
I'll be here along with you!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:22 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,705,766 times
Mark Chapter 1

v.40 Now a leper came to Him, imploring Him, kneeling down to Him and saying to Him, "If You are willing, You can make me clean".
v.41 The Jesus, moved with compassion, stretched out His hand and touched him, and said to him, " I am willing; be cleansed".

The humbleness and faith of the leper, coming kneeling down and saying "if You are willing, You can make me clean" really touched me.
I can see him probably so afraid to be there, as a leper was an outcast of society, and the fear that had to be in his heart of those who were around Jesus...already knowing the people rejected him and thinking possibly being ridiculed publicly, stones thrown at him and maybe he was thinking and feeling that Jesus would reject him also....being a leper! But his faith..............

And Jesus turning and showing His compassion not only by healing him, but by touching him, something no Jew would do.
Wow... the love & compassion of our Lord! When others reject or no one cares, He is always there!!!

Seeing Jesus miracles, casting out demons is such a sign that Satan's power was being overthrown!!! And by Jesus death He would deliver us from the power of sin, Satan, and the world.....

Blessings today!!

Old 03-13-2009, 06:37 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,697,507 times
Chapter 1

I love that curly...He is always there !....sometimes i forget that and i feel alone. Jesus also held the hand of the mother-in-law to release her sickness. I dont recall Jesus "touching" in Matthew.

When i read verse 10-13 As Jesus cmong up out of the water, he saw heaven open. The Holy Spirit came down on him like a dove, and a voice came from heaven: "you are my Son, whom i love, and i am very pleased with you."..........what an amazing vision.

Blessing

Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,896,687 times
Default Chapter 1

There was a lot that spoke to me in this chapter, but I think what most got my attention were the first words recorded that were actually spoken by Jesus.

I believe salvation, at its purest form, in contained in them:
After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. "The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!"

As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him.

When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him. Mark 1:14-20
To paraphrase Christ's words, "Now is the time! There's no time to wait. Repent and believe. Follow me, I'll do the rest"

Now I know we like to complicate things but in its purest, most sincere way, I truly believe that is salvation.

But I can't miss the word 'sincere' there in what I typed.

If I sincerely repent, sincerely believe and sincerely follow Christ....it's that simple.

But sometimes I question myself and I wonder if I truly am 'sincere' or am I just real good at pretending and saying the 'right' things.

I thank God for His mercy, patience and forgiveness for me. As feeble attempt as it seems at times, I am following Him.....and counting on Him to do the work.

There's much more for me to consider out of this chapter, but I think I'll just focus on this for today.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:57 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,795,725 times
Default Mark Chapter 1

We begin at the beginning. The book starts with a definitive statement: This is the beginning of the gospel (good news) of Jesus, the Son of God. There's no room for argument. It is a bold statement told in truth... Jesus the Son of God.

Once again we see how OT prophecy is fullfilled with John the Baptist preparing the way. Mark gives a more descriptive look at John, what he wore and ate which if you think of what he must have looked like, it's amazing people still went out to him to be baptized. I think it's a good example of God using the least to be the greatest.

We are again told Jesus taught with authority. Jesus is the authority!

I was also struck by the compassion Jesus showed the mother-in-law and the leper. Compassion ... we could probably all show more towards others in our daily walk.

I also saw joy. I know the leper was told to be discrete about his healing, but he simply could not contain himself. I see that he had so much joy about what God had done for him, he couldn't contain it and had to tell anyone and everyone who would listen. Do I have that joy? Do I tell others about the great things God has done in my life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity