Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You lack any discernment at all about the issue. The RELIGION (supposedly words direct from ALLAH) demands death for apostasy and rejection of ALLAH. I repeat . . . what kind of GOD would require people ( who He gives free will) to be forced into accepting Him or DEMAND that they be killed? The Christian God I believe in DEMANDS nothing . . . doesn't punish, and has provided His children with His presence as a teacher, example, instructions and guidelines that will lead us to a successful spiritual rebirth and eternal life. WE retain our free will to choose up to the end of our physical life. What happens after that is a natural consequence of our success or failure . . . no Godly decision or punishment involved. I am sorry so many of my brothers and sisters in Christ are misguided about God's motives. God only wants to help us succeed . . . not punish . . . it is OUR choice.
If the religion demands death for rejection of Allah then why not more murders here? The Christian God certainly does demand something. The Christian God ultimately demands you believe in him or you will die for inifinity. Yes its a choice.. I understand that but to say the Christian God doesn't demand anything is .. well wrong.

But back to the "death penalty" question..

I took this from a non-crazy site.

Do with it what you will:

Muslims who support the death penalty for apostasy often base their belief partly on a hadith in which he said: "Kill whoever changes his religion." But this is a weak foundation because:
This hadith was only transmitted from Muhammad (pbuh) by one individual. It was not confirmed by a second person. According to Islamic law, this is insufficient basis on which to impose the death penalty.

The hadith is so generally worded that it would require the death penalty for a Christian or Jew who converted to Islam. This is obviously not the prophet's intent. The hadith is in need of further specification, which has not been documented.

Many scholars interpret this passage as referring only to instances of high treason. (e.g. declaring war on Islam, Muhammad (pbuh), God, etc.)

There is no historical record which indicates that Muhammad (pbuh) or any of his companions ever sentenced anyone to death for apostasy.

A number of Islamic scholars from past centuries, Ibrahim al-Naka'I, Sufyan al-Thawri, Shams al-Din al-Sarakhsi, Abul Walid al-Baji and Ibn Taymiyyah, have all held that apostasy is a serious sin, but not one that requires the death penalty. In modern times, Mahmud Shaltut, Sheikh of al-Azhar, and Dr Mohammed Sayed Tantawi have concurred.

The death penalty for apostasy in Islam

amazing how again it comes down to interpretation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
If the religion demands death for rejection of Allah then why not more murders here? The Christian God certainly does demand something. The Christian God ultimately demands you believe in him or you will die for inifinity. Yes its a choice.. I understand that but to say the Christian God doesn't demand anything is .. well wrong.

But back to the "death penalty" question..

I took this from a non-crazy site.

Do with it what you will:

Muslims who support the death penalty for apostasy often base their belief partly on a hadith in which he said: "Kill whoever changes his religion." But this is a weak foundation because:
This hadith was only transmitted from Muhammad (pbuh) by one individual. It was not confirmed by a second person. According to Islamic law, this is insufficient basis on which to impose the death penalty.

The hadith is so generally worded that it would require the death penalty for a Christian or Jew who converted to Islam. This is obviously not the prophet's intent. The hadith is in need of further specification, which has not been documented.

Many scholars interpret this passage as referring only to instances of high treason. (e.g. declaring war on Islam, Muhammad (pbuh), God, etc.)

There is no historical record which indicates that Muhammad (pbuh) or any of his companions ever sentenced anyone to death for apostasy.

A number of Islamic scholars from past centuries, Ibrahim al-Naka'I, Sufyan al-Thawri, Shams al-Din al-Sarakhsi, Abul Walid al-Baji and Ibn Taymiyyah, have all held that apostasy is a serious sin, but not one that requires the death penalty. In modern times, Mahmud Shaltut, Sheikh of al-Azhar, and Dr Mohammed Sayed Tantawi have concurred.

The death penalty for apostasy in Islam

Interesting that Muslim clerics in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Afghanistan disagree.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Interesting that Muslim clerics in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Afghanistan disagree.
Just like I disagree with Fred Phelps...

Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Just like I disagree with Fred Phelps...
Sssssslllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhhtttttt tttllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy different. Those are theocracies I mentioned. Fred Phelps is one man of one church and has no legal authority.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Sssssslllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhhtttttt tttllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy different. Those are theocracies I mentioned. Fred Phelps is one man of one church and has no legal authority.
I'm betting Mr. Phelps feels as though he has legal authority. Is your question now concerning the politics of a muslim state and what is wrong with that? If so that is completely different than the original statement.

You are switching back and forth.. pick an argument son.

So does the Pope speak for you?

How this is so hard to understand for you is really beyond me.

The logic of stating that a group of believers actions invalidate the existence of a deity verges on being retarded.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that if you willingly step off the top of a twelve story building . . . God is DEMANDING that you fall to your death?
Quote:
ALWAYS! A reality too easily dismissed.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Are you suggesting that if you willingly step off the top of a twelve story building . . . God is DEMANDING that you fall to your death?ALWAYS! A reality too easily dismissed.
I'm not suggesting that at all and you know it.

In order to "live in heaven" or "live forever" etc etc the Christian God requires an acceptance.

Good works without acceptance won't get you in. You could be Superman and save 1 million people from something horrible.. you could feed homeless people every single day of your life.. you could lead the most pious person towards mankind.. and yet.. if you didn't accept Jesus then you wouldn't be getting into heaven right?

so.. God demands acceptance for your eternal salvation with the threat of eternal death.

mystic its been fun.. but you know my argument as I've stated it many times. Judging a deity.. any deity based on the actions of its followers is not only reckless but its stupid.

Unless you have more to add to that facet of the argument (which is.. the only thing I'm arguing) then I'll bid this conversation.. goodbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity