Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:58 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
So we are leaving the OT out of the Bible now?
DNick already answered on my behalf, but I'll speak for myself this time.

I was not referring to the Torah at all, because that's not what CG was referring to. Yes, I realize the Torah existed. I'm in no way discounting it. Yes, Jesus read the Torah. Yes, they were the Scriptures of the time. But NO, that's not what I meant when I referred to the Bible not existing in the early church. I was talking about the New Testament Scriptures. The church didn't formulate the NT canon until several centuries later. Up until that time, the epistles and gospels were in existence, but not compiled into one set of authoritative Scripture we know as the New Testament in the Bible. By and large, the gospel and teachings of Jesus were spread via word of mouth from the apostles and later entrusted to those whom the apostles could trust to maintain the spreading of true doctrine. The thing is, not all of Jesus' teachings were written down. They were only spread via tradition, which is why some people think the Catholic Church teaches false doctrines. There WERE false teachings going around, but by the authority of the church, they were declared to be heresies. Now, John himself said that not all of Jesus' teachings were written down, because if they COULD have been written down, the whole world would not be able to contain the books that would be filled. So there HAD to be some way of determining what was heresy and what wasn't. That came through holding church councils, in which the pope and bishops discussed the matters and made an authoritative ruling. A LOT of so-called "gospels" were floating around before the canon of the Bible was formed....Gospel of Peter, Gospel of Jude, Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Mary...but they were declared BY THE CHURCH to not be authoritative. Therefore, it stands to reason that the Catholic Church does teach things that are valid, though they may not be written down in the Bible - and likewise declares certain teachings to NOT be valid, whether they are written down or not.

Does that clarify my point? I sure hope so, because I'm getting tired of arguing with people about denominations and who is right and who is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,648 times
We are to be of one accord, so I will never believe it is God's will that we have different denominations. And no, I do not believe the Catholic church is the "one". None are.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
We are to be of one accord, so I will never believe it is God's will that we have different denominations. And no, I do not believe the Catholic church is the "one". None are.
So then which body of believers holds to true doctrine?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
So then which body of believers holds to true doctrine?
All believers. What they think doesn't matter...what the Holy Spirit teaches them and guides them to do does. It's just that sometimes people follow a preacher they believe knows all from the Holy Spirit when he just depended on another human to teach him in seminary school. The trickle down effect.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
All believers. What they think doesn't matter...what the Holy Spirit teaches them and guides them to do does. It's just that sometimes people follow a preacher they believe knows all from the Holy Spirit when he just depended on another human to teach him in seminary school. The trickle down effect.
So where did you get the basis for what you believe? Where did you learn it? How did you acquire your beliefs?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
So where did you get the basis for what you believe? Where did you learn it? How did you acquire your beliefs?
Just the Bible. And I don't know it all...I'm aware of that. lol

I look around my little town at all the churches we have here. How do I pick one? I have brothers and sisters in Christ in each one...I pick a few? And I pick one that thinks less of another group, right? I can't participate in that. It's a sad situation.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:29 PM

342 posts, read 540,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
This keeps popping up in various threads.

So I ask any of you. How do you explain the thousands of denominations all believing in different things, all claiming that they are led by the Holy Spirit. All claiming the truth.
The Truth is not necessarily related to or found in any particular demonination.....Some demominations have some truths and some falsehoods mixed in.....others have little if any truths and twist and complicate the scripture to suit their agendas...........The denominational differences rest in the fact that men focus more on doctrinal differences than on the teachings of Jesus Christ.....Bottom line for all Christian demominations are that they MUST believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who came to die on the cross for the atonement of the sins of mankind.........That we are all sinners in need of a Saviour....and that they "MUST REPENT" of sin and turn to the Lord for the remission of sin.....And that we must..... love (OBEY) God with all our heart soul and strength and love our neighbor.........this is the central core beliefs of all true Christians......denominational labels mean nothing to God......He wants us to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth

Old 03-15-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Just the Bible. And I don't know it all...I'm aware of that. lol

I look around my little town at all the churches we have here. How do I pick one? I have brothers and sisters in Christ in each one...I pick a few? And I pick one that thinks less of another group, right? I can't participate in that. It's a sad situation.
So are you saying it doesn't matter what we believe about true doctrine...that what matters is how we interpret things? That each person is allowed to believe what is "right in their sight"...?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
So are you saying it doesn't matter what we believe about true doctrine...that what matters is how we interpret things? That "each person is allowed to believe what is right in their sight"...?
Hmm. No. I don't think that's what I'm saying. I don't know, Aquila. I don't have tangible knowledge about any of this...I just know what I feel.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:39 PM

So you lean on your own understanding...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity