Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:20 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,711,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
This isn't a Greek Mythology forum but a Christian forum so please stay on topic and respect the OP...
Perhaps you should take the time to actually read the OP, as it was the original poster who brought up the alleged association between the name Jesus(Iēsous) and Zeus to begin with.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 01-19-2010 at 03:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,132,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Perhaps you should take the time to actually read the OP, as it was the original poster who brought up the alleged association between the name Jesus(Iēsous) and Zeus to begin with.
Alleged is the word and I believe he said that he stated that Zeus was the wrong word for (Iesous).. What you did was elaborate. Our subject and topic is the names of Jesus and has nothing to do with Zeus. You know what I am referring to so please don't insult me and pretend to be dumb.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:10 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,315,555 times
an atheist once made the statement, the letter "J" did not exist in biblical times and therefore Jesus could have not existed, I thought that to be pretty funny, for the name Jesus is written with "I" both in Greek and Latin, Iêsous in Greek, Iesus in Latin

btw Iêsous is also the Greek version of Joshua in Septuagint, I do not believe that there is any relationship between Iesous and Zeus

Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM

151 posts, read 153,496 times
Quote:
Interesting enough, if i understand it correctly, the literal interpretation of Iēsous is "hail Zeus" ... The actual English translation of Christs name is Joshuah ...
mr. or mrs. ironmaw1776 you are correct, the only thing is since we have all the alphabet characters of the Hebrew alphabets we wouldn't need to use the letter J.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 AM

151 posts, read 153,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
an atheist once made the statement, the letter "J" did not exist in biblical times and therefore Jesus could have not existed, I thought that to be pretty funny, for the name Jesus is written with "I" both in Greek and Latin, Iêsous in Greek, Iesus in Latin

btw Iêsous is also the Greek version of Joshua in Septuagint, I do not believe that there is any relationship between Iesous and Zeus
mr. or mrs. svenm, that is exactly the point you don't believe that the Greek name Iesous is not affiliated with the name Zeus, can any one prove that it is not, after all you will also assume that the bible that you read or the Septuagint is with out any mistransliteration and mistranslation, that's why the letter that Paul wrote to the Thessalonians in second Thessalonians 5:21 to (PROVE ALL THINGS) and that means not to leave not one stone unturned, So if you transliterate the Hebrew name Yehoshua and the short form Aramaic name Yeshua into Greek yourself you will see the truth.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,711,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Alleged is the word and I believe he said that he stated that Zeus was the wrong word for (Iesous).. What you did was elaborate. Our subject and topic is the names of Jesus and has nothing to do with Zeus. You know what I am referring to so please don't insult me and pretend to be dumb.
Boy you really have it out for me dot you lady? The fact is i referred to the OP, if you dont like what i have to say about the OP, tough ... In case you haven't noticed i wasn't the only one to refer to this aspect of the OP either. Please don't give me a hard time just because you disagree with me and then disrespect me by saying that i am not sticking to the OP and being disrespectful myself, okay? I really don't need your attitude, save that for your husband and kids at home.

Have a nice day ...

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 01-19-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Boy you really have it out for me dot you lady? The fact is i referred to the OP, if you dont like what i have to say about the OP, tough ... In case you haven't noticed i wasn't the only one to refer to this aspect of the OP either. Please don't give me a hard time just because you disagree with me and then disrespect me by saying that i am not sticking to the OP and being disrespectful myself, okay? I really don't need your attitude, save that for your husband and kids at home.

Have a nice day ...
I only have an attitude when someone takes something that belongs to Christ and gives it away to pagan idolatry. The OP made it crystal clear that he was talking about the name of Jesus. And how can you know that I have an attitude? I am typing on a computer.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,181,071 times
OK girls....everyone go sit in the naughty chair for awhile until you cool off.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post

Thankyou...

Old 01-19-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
OK girls....everyone go sit in the naughty chair for awhile until you cool off.
lol, I do get upset with the infiltration of pagan Gods on a Christian thread.. somewhat like Jesus was mad when the religious leaders were selling and desecrating the temple of His Father

Matthew 21:12-13

Jesus at the Temple

12Jesus entered the temple area and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. 13"It is written," he said to them, " 'My house will be called a house of prayer,'[a] but you are making it a 'den of robbers.

The Name of Jesus is beautiful to me, it is the Name above Names...

Psalm 111:9
9 He provided redemption for his people;
he ordained his covenant forever—
holy and awesome is his name.

Why am I naughty for loving the Name of Jesus? Just curious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity