Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:35 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,636,898 times

Advertisements

In the Old Testament God instructed the prophet Isaiah to write a prophetic warning and distribute it to Israel. But He warned Isaiah that the people had already become rebellious to all hard truth: "...this is a rebellious children...that will not hear the law of the Lord" (Isaiah 30:9). God was saying, "I'm telling you ahead of time, they won't hear you. They'll close their ears to all you have to say!"

The people did eventually gather to listen to Isaiah proclaim his awful warnings of a shaking. But they quickly wearied of the prophet's message of judgement. They didn't want to hear that their prosperous lifestyle was in jeopardy, and they told him, "...Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us" (verses 10-11)

In plain language, they were saying, "Tell us pleasant things - lift our spirits! We don't want to hear anymore of this gloom and doom talk. Lighten up, Isaiah! Entertain us. Forget about all this 'holiness' stuff you keep harping on, saying, 'Holiness demands this and that.' It's getting on our nerves. We can't handle all this negative preaching. Our God isn't like that!"

The truth is, if you read the book of Isaiah carefully, you'll discover that this prophet, more than any other, proclaims a message of divine mercy and hope. He speaks at great length of God's tenderness and longsuffering toward His people. Indeed, in this very chapter, even while God's people are resisting His warnings, Isaiah says, "therefore will the Lord wait, that He may be gracious unto you...that He may have mercy upon you...He will be very gracious unto thee at the voice of thy cry; when He shall hear it, He will answer thee" (verses 18-19)

These indulgent, complacent people had been given numerous messages extolling the mercy and longsuffering of their God. But they convinced themselves that God is only about mercy - and that He's not a God of Justice, who has to judge sin and wickedness. They aren't willing to listen to any prophetic messages concerning His holiness and judgement!

I fear many Christians today have fallen into this same condition. They love to hear about the Lord's tender mercies, His gracious, forgiving love, His everlasting kindness. Yes, our God is all these things - and I preach this as strongly as anyone. But whenever I write a prophetic message or book at God's prompting - one that sounds a warning of impending judgement - the most vociferous critics are ministers and Christians! They write in by the dozens demanding, "Take me off your mailing list! I don't want to hear any more of your gloom and doom. God is love. I couldn't serve a God like yours - a God of wrath and judgement!"

In my opinion, there are plenty of hirelings in the pulpit today - cowardly shepherds who are glad to give lukewarm Christians what they clamor for. They preach short, upbeat, positive sermons that are non-threatening, with little or no gospel or scriptural content. It's all just a feel good experience for the people - and it's leading them toward destruction!

Tragically, Israel rejected Isaiah's warnings - and God's people ended up totally unprepared for the shaking that came upon them. They fell into ruin of devastation - because up to the last hour before judgement hit, they were feeding on illusions!...

...read the rest!...and note the date it was written!...amazing! You would think he wrote it a month ago!!
By-David Wilkerson...
http://worldchallenge.edgeboss.net/d..._last_call.pdf

Last edited by Verna Perry; 03-14-2009 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: spelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 09:23 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,634,794 times
Wilkerson is a false prophet as he has "prophesied" before and gotten them wrong. You have to be 100% correct 100% of the time to be a prophet of God. Having said that, yes, we are living in the last days, right on the door step of the last of them. Please go to post #12 of this thread to see some examples: //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...itchblade.html

Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Default No claim to be a prophet...just prompted by the Holy Spirit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Wilkerson is a false prophet as he has "prophesied" before and gotten them wrong. You have to be 100% correct 100% of the time to be a prophet of God. Having said that, yes, we are living in the last days, right on the door step of the last of them. Please go to post #12 of this thread to see some examples: //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...itchblade.html
Good evening carolina_guy...yes, I'm already reading that thread...as it "strings" along......but I must inform you that David Wilkerson does not profess to be a prophet...and he explains this misunderstanding that some people have about him in this short book he wrote back 10 to 15 years ago...and in it he is right on target for today!!! Excellant, excellant read!! Amazing!!

Old 03-14-2009, 11:18 PM

852 posts, read 1,361,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Good evening carolina_guy...yes, I'm already reading that thread...as it "strings" along......but I must inform you that David Wilkerson does not profess to be a prophet...and he explains this misunderstanding that some people have about him in this short book he wrote back 10 to 15 years ago...and in it he is right on target for today!!! Excellant, excellant read!! Amazing!!
Hi Verna,
Just wanted to ask then why if he does not profess to be a prophet, then why do the first words of his blog say:
"It is the task of a true prophet to warn?"
David Wilkerson Today

I'm not in disagreement that something large is looming on the horizon...just have trouble with this....
Sincerely,
Sherry

Old 03-15-2009, 01:35 AM

Default As a shepherd, his task is to discern and warn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Hi Verna,
Just wanted to ask then why if he does not profess to be a prophet, then why do the first words of his blog say:
"It is the task of a true prophet to warn?"
David Wilkerson Today

I'm not in disagreement that something large is looming on the horizon...just have trouble with this....
Sincerely,
Sherry
Good 'early' morning sherry......I went to the link you gave, and The title of his newsletter that you directed me to is: A PASTOR'S RESPONSE TO "AN URGENT WARNING"...<<<he is stating here that 'he' is the 'pastor'...and 'his' response to 'an urgent warning' from a 'prophet'..<<the prophet being someone else other than him. If you click on the title, his letter opens up and he goes on to clearly explain his position...he states...

It is the task of a true prophet to warn. We have recently heard such a clear warning of perilous days just ahead of us. The prophet <(someone else other than him) is like a man who comes to warn a shepherd <(him) that ravenous wolves are approaching.
It then becomes the shepherd's task to appropriately discern the warning and to guide those in his care to a place of wisdom and security. I am not a prophet. I am a local pastor. I must ask myself what I am to do in light of hearing the warning from God. What should I say to those under my personal care.
First, I want my people to clearly hear the word. What is it saying and what is it not saying...I am to assure my people that God is always completely in control.
Second, I want those I serve to know two things concerning God's wrath. First, some leaders in the church have sadly fallen into the deception that there is no such thing as the wrath of God. Romans 1:18 says, "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth," Some act in ungodly ways, others are ungodly by their suppressing the truth of God's wrath. Some leaders reduce, ignore, and even ridicule anyone who reminds them of the certainity of God's wrath. Romans 2:5 also tells us clearly that the wrath of God is toward those whose hearts are hard and impenitent. This leads to the second element of understanding God's wrath. It is never, ever, ever poured out on the children of God.
Last, I am obligated to guide the flock given to me with lovingkindness and soberness. If a wolf or a storm is coming, I as a shepherd must know the condition of my flock.

dear sherry, Dave Wilkerson is one of the most loving, genuine, caring, concerned, and trustworthy men of God on the face of this earth. Uninformed people should not pass judgment on others before they truly know if what they are stating are the facts. And I do not mean this toward you...you genuinely did not understand, and I am glad you questioned this article...thank you...Love ...p.s...please go to the link I gave and read his book, it is short but powerful...truly a blessing! You will be amazed! He wrote it 10+ years ago, you'd think he wrote it a month ago!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Hi Verna,

You say he's not a prophet, just prompted by the HS. But any prompting, visions, etc. that turn out to be untrue--surely can't be from the HS, no? If one receives a vision and tells the masses about it, and that vision turns out to be untrue, do you still think it's prompted by the HS? This is the case of David Wilkerson.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:49 PM

Default Could you elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Hi Verna,

You say he's not a prophet, just prompted by the HS. But any prompting, visions, etc. that turn out to be untrue--surely can't be from the HS, no? If one receives a vision and tells the masses about it, and that vision turns out to be untrue, do you still think it's prompted by the HS? This is the case of David Wilkerson.
... again, he is a pastor, a shepherd, who hears a prophetic warning...discerns and warns his flock...what was it carolina_guy that was told to the masses?

Old 03-15-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
... again, he is a pastor, a shepherd, who hears a prophetic warning...discerns and warns his flock...what was it carolina_guy that was told to the masses?
Please go to the link above to post #12.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:14 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,297,130 times
Philippians 4:19 "And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from His glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus".

We can trust God to take care of all our needs whatever we need on earth He will supply. I am trusting Him.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:15 AM

1,042 posts, read 2,166,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Philippians 4:19 "And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from His glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus".

We can trust God to take care of all our needs whatever we need on earth He will supply. I am trusting Him.
I believe that is true but what I don't understand is the way professing Christians seem to think that this means they will never experience need. That God will provide for them to continue to be able to live in their nice homes, have their nice cars, eat their nice meals, and watch their nice TV programs.

Note the context of the verse you quote.

God supplies our needs as we help supply the needs of our brothers and sisters in Christ. That's the context. They supplied Paul's needs and in turn Paul was telling them that God would supply their needs - by implication through the Body. As happened numerous times in the New Testament.

The Body today is self-absorbed and unwilling to do what New Testament Christians did. Sell our homes if need be and otherwise act as though our possessions are the common property of all Christians.

Personally I believe the Lord will allow many of us to experience need until we repent and start living as though all our money and possessions really are the Lord's and through Him that of His Body. Until we get serious about being Christ to one another.

I do not believe for one minute that the verses in the Bible promise rich Christians that their riches will continue. That God will continue to provide for them while many of their less fortunate Christian brothers and sisters suffer need.

It is ironic that some of the greatest expressions of love I have ever seen among Christians have been among those who have little. While the majority of those professing to be Christians in the U.S. hoard their wealth, live for themselves, and bring the name of Christ into disrepute.

Many in the church (note the lowercase) are not even Christians. They don't know the first thing about surrender to God and walking by faith.

The judgment of God begins with the Church.

Carlos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity