Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:10 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
So does this mean you only confess and ask forgiveness of sins in mass? Do you ever do it at night in your bedroom, in your car, prayer closet, anywhere else besides mass?
That's a good question carolina_guy. I do not know the answer for that...from a Catholic perspective.

I'll let you know if I find an answer from further reading unless someone else wants to pipe up and answer that question first.

Carlos

Old 03-16-2009, 02:15 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I have a small library at home regarding Catholic doctrine and dogma.
Trying to explain it within the limits of this forum will not do it justice. And will most likley confuse most readers.
Well...one can at least try can't they?

Not to mention that you seem to be in a pretty good position to enlighten the rest of us on this issue from a uniquely Catholic perspective.

It would be a pretty sad state of affairs if what the Catholic Church believes on salvation could not be explained apart from spending months and months reading and otherwise investigating what it teaches on this.

That's not to say that such study would be unfruitful in understanding the depths of Catholic teaching but certainly the basic message of salvation according to Catholic belief is something that I would think could be explained in brief. And accurately so.

Carlos

Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Well...one can at least try can't they?

Not to mention that you seem to be in a pretty good position to enlighten the rest of us on this issue from a uniquely Catholic perspective.

It would be a pretty sad state of affairs if what the Catholic Church believes on salvation could not be explained apart from spending months and months reading and otherwise investigating what it teaches on this.

That's not to say that such study would be unfruitful in understanding the depths of Catholic teaching but certainly the basic message of salvation according to Catholic belief is something that I would think could be explained in brief. And accurately so.

Carlos
I agree that Oakback would be an invaluable source because (1) he seems to be very humble and open for dialog (based on other threads) and (2) he has this "small library" and has personally done a lengthy study on Catholic doctrine. I for one would appreciate anything Oakback can offer regarding the OP.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
I agree that Oakback would be an invaluable source because (1) he seems to be very humble and open for dialog (based on other threads) and (2) he has this "small library" and has personally done a lengthy study on Catholic doctrine. I for one would appreciate anything Oakback can offer regarding the OP.

Ok. I'll try.

What is the question?

(Disclaimer; The statements and opinions of Oakback do not represent official Doctrine or Dogma of the Roman Catholic Church)

Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Ok. I'll try.

What is the question?

(Disclaimer; The statements and opinions of Oakback do not represent official Doctrine or Dogma of the Roman Catholic Church)
hehe...

I think back to the premise of this thread. What can you offer in layman's terms (if that is possible) in regards to the OP? As Carlos stated:

Quote:
[He is asking for] a clear and definitive understanding of what the Catholic Church teaches with respect to salvation
So, what can you offer with regards to this? Also, can you give a clarification for my questions below?

Quote:
One question, does Confession and Repentance have to take place before a priest? Or can one be completely sanctified through confessing and repenting of sins through personal and direct prayer to God?
and

Quote:
So does this mean you only confess and ask forgiveness of sins in mass? Do you ever do it at night in your bedroom, in your car, prayer closet, anywhere else besides mass?
What is the Church's stance regarding these questions?

Thanks so much!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Alrighty then....

I'd like to discuss salvation and the Catholic Church if anyone wants to do that with me. In two parts.

I would like the the first part...which is this thread, to focus solely and exclusively on understanding what the Catholic Church teaches respecting how one can be saved. Using authoritative references from respective Catholic web sites if at all possible.

The second part will deal with whether what the Catholic Church teaches on this lines up with the Scriptures.

So...if we could confine this thread to only discovering what the Catholic Church does in fact believe with respect to being saved...that would be great.

I don't want this thread to disintegrate into Catholic and/or Protestant bashing (both sides may need to exercise some measure of self-control to accomplish this ). My purpose in starting this thread is purely and only to find out definitively what the Catholic Church official teaches on this important subject. With a view to discussing whether Catholic teaching lines up with Scripture in thread number 2, once the Catholic Church's teaching on this has been adequately and clearly understood in this thread.

Please note that I consider myself a Protestant Christian even though I was raised a Catholic but again for purposes of this particular thread...I am not interested in talking about the differences between my Protestant and Catholic beliefs. I just want to definitively and as clearly as I can to understand what the Catholic Church teaches regarding salvation. That's it. Nothing else on this thread...if n' ya all don't mind .

Thanks.

Carlos

This is simple, the Catholic Church teaches that our salvation comes from Jesus. Hope you aren't buying into anyone telling you we are simply a "works based" faith.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
hehe...

I think back to the premise of this thread. What can you offer in layman's terms (if that is possible) in regards to the OP? As Carlos stated:

So, what can you offer with regards to this? Also, can you give a clarification for my questions below?

and

What is the Church's stance regarding these questions?

Thanks so much!
I'm tempted to try and explain these questions, but all I can do is refer you to the Catechism.

I really believe the fundamental differences we have go to Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide, along with Apostolic succession.
Those were my initial stumbling blocks in the process of converting to the Catholic Church.
Until, or unless we can at least agree to disagree on these fundamental doctrines, any further discussions regarding salvation, justification, sin, grace, tradition, heiarchy etc.. will ultimatley boil down to the hermeneutics of a handful scripture verses.

For example; 2 Timothy 3:14-17. to this day is a source of great division among various denominations, and each word has been painstakingly dissected by theological, and ancient language experts. Yet we still remain divided.

I have a wonderful set of tapes that record a very long debate between repectful theologians from both sides of the fence, entitled "What still divides us". And these renowned experts ended by agreeing to disagree.
Nevertheless, they ended the debate respecting each other and unified in their sincere desire to one day be united in the truth.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I'm tempted to try and explain these questions, but all I can do is refer you to the Catechism.

I really believe the fundamental differences we have go to Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide, along with Apostolic succession.
Those were my initial stumbling blocks in the process of converting to the Catholic Church.
Until, or unless we can at least agree to disagree on these fundamental doctrines, any further discussions regarding salvation, justification, sin, grace, tradition, heiarchy etc.. will ultimatley boil down to the hermeneutics of a handful scripture verses.

For example; 2 Timothy 3:14-17. to this day is a source of great division among various denominations, and each word has been painstakingly dissected by theological, and ancient language experts. Yet we still remain divided.

I have a wonderful set of tapes that record a very long debate between repectful theologians from both sides of the fence, entitled "What still divides us". And these renowned experts ended by agreeing to disagree.
Nevertheless, they ended the debate respecting each other and unified in their sincere desire to one day be united in the truth.
I understand your dilemma. I'm not sure where the controversy is in the Scripture you posted, but that's ok too.

If you don't mind, could you share on what you personally do regarding the 2 questions I posted in regards to confession and repentance? Thanks!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:53 PM

1-I am justified by faith.

My faith in Jesus Christ is the foundation of my salvation

2-I continually confessing my shortcomings to Jesus Christ.

However, I do periodically avail myself of the sacrament of confession.
Remember we Catholics believe in Apostolic seccession, and believe that the power to loose and bind has been given to the Church. A Priest, who has had hands laid on ( ordained ) by a Bishop, who has had hands laid on by the seat of Peter ( the Pope ) who follows a line of the seat of Peter, is given the authority to loose and bind.
So sometimes, I need to hear a representative of Christ's Church audibly utter the words into my ears, "your sins are forgiven"
It not only comforts me, it makes Christ's forgiveness not merely a spiritual experience but a tangible one. Sometimes, I just want to hear the words.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:11 PM

342 posts, read 540,638 times
Confession is biblical......and something that is encouraged in Scripture....... for both Protestants and Catholics.........It helps to confess our sins to one another be it a priest, elder, or another believer..... and to pray for each other to resist sin .......Knowing all the while that if we confess our sins God is faithful and just to forgive our sins......By the way priests and elders are also in need of this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity