Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:04 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,838 times

Advertisements

I was reading Zechariah 14 this morning. I have a study Bible. One of the notes at the bottom of the page said this feast is the only feast still appropriate today. Why don't I know about it? It says it is a festival of thanksgiving...it celebrates the harvest of human souls for the Lord. How wonderful is that?

Does anyone know alot about this? When is it celebrated? I feel so ignorant about something that is obviously so important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,203 times
Stirring Waters, you've asked an excellent question. I think many Christians are missing out on a tremendous blessing by not understanding the basics of the God ordained holy days.

I'm going to provide a list of links for you to explore. This is a rich topic, so I'll let you do your own studying.

Here are three good sites for getting an overview of all the Biblical holidays and the Hebraic roots of Christianity:

Annie's Feasts of the Bible Page
Biblical Holidays Jewish Feasts Reveal Messiah Yeshua -Jesus, Yom Kippur Dayes of Awe, Sukkoth
THE SEVEN FESTIVALS OF THE MESSIAH - Table of Contents

Each of these sites have links to others that will help you understand the Biblical holidays. The second link above is a rich source of ideas for how and why the Christian can celebrate these holidays today.

Other names for the Feast of Tabernacles are Feast of the Booths, Sukkoth, Succoth, or Sukkot, so be sure to keep a lookout for these various names as you explore.

Some links related specifically to the Feast of Tabernacles are:

Biblical Holidays Jewish Feasts Reveal Messiah Yeshua -Jesus (http://www.biblicalholidays.com/tabernacles.htm - broken link)
http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/oct2005/kay1025-3.htm (broken link)
Sukkot: A Promise of Living Water - http://www.jewsforjesus.org/publications/issues/6_7/sukkot/
Sukkot - http://www.jewsforjesus.org/judaica/sukkot/

That last link describes the Feast of Tabernacles:

Quote:
Sukkot means "booths," or "tabernacles," and this week-long holiday is also known as the Feast of Tabernacles. It is a joyous harvest festival and a reminder of how God sustained the children of Israel during their wilderness wanderings. The people were to dwell in temporary booths, and to rejoice over God's provision as well as his presence. Many Jewish people still build booths in their yards or synagogues for this holiday, and take their meals in these temporary dwelling places.

As you'll see in this section, Sukkot is a powerful reminder of how God tabernacled with us in the past, how he continues to do so today and how he will ultimately dwell with us forever, through Y'shua (Jesus) who lives and reigns in the hearts of those who believe in him. The Feast of Tabernacles also contains two powerful elements, water and light, that foreshadowed Messiah, who is gives us Living Water and who is the Light of the world. There's much to unpack regarding Sukkot and you'll want to "camp out" in this section for awhile.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 AM

Thank you so much, Blueberry! A week long event! Really, thank you!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,017 times
Here is also a great paper on all three festivals, dealing with different levels of how God deeals with His creation.

Chapter 6: God’s Three Harvest-Festivals (http://www.gods-kingdom-ministries.org/CreationsJub/CJch06.html - broken link)

I highly recommend it to those who are searching for real meat.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Thank you, ScarletWren!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Thank you, ScarletWren!
So, SW.....you'll have to let me know what you find....I haven't heard of it either...
what it is...
when to do it...
etc.
why you think it is appropriate for today's age....
i'm in the middle of doing taxes....so no time to research...
I think I'm seeing daylight though

Old 03-17-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
So, SW.....you'll have to let me know what you find....I haven't heard of it either...
what it is...
when to do it...
etc.
why you think it is appropriate for today's age....
i'm in the middle of doing taxes....so no time to research...
I think I'm seeing daylight though
LOL I'll let you know. Give me a bit of time...there's a lot of reading to do.

(Side note: Each time someone refers to me as SW, I read it as SisterWife...you know, polygamy? lol)

Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
LOL I'll let you know. Give me a bit of time...there's a lot of reading to do.

(Side note: Each time someone refers to me as SW, I read it as SisterWife...you know, polygamy? lol)
ok StirringWaters...no more SW....just for you.....lol
The light is getting brighter with this tax thing...funny thing is, I don't even actually do them...just gather the stuff for the tax preparer. We have new corporations this year and I have no idea what I need to do and not to do...so probably half the stuff I'm doing I don't even need

okay...so how's that for off topic...
Just let me know what you find out...in all that reading....the fewer words the better---for me...Make it simple!...lol Will be out of town a few days! Yippee! No kids! Yippee! No husband! Yippee!....(they will probably all be thinking the same thing about when I leave...(Yippee!!Mom's gone!)..lol

Old 03-18-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
ok StirringWaters...no more SW....just for you.....lol
The light is getting brighter with this tax thing...funny thing is, I don't even actually do them...just gather the stuff for the tax preparer. We have new corporations this year and I have no idea what I need to do and not to do...so probably half the stuff I'm doing I don't even need

okay...so how's that for off topic...
Just let me know what you find out...in all that reading....the fewer words the better---for me...Make it simple!...lol Will be out of town a few days! Yippee! No kids! Yippee! No husband! Yippee!....(they will probably all be thinking the same thing about when I leave...(Yippee!!Mom's gone!)..lol
LOL Absence does make the heart grow fonder. I had no idea gathering is as stressful as doing the actual tax math, but it does make sense. Have a very good trip...I'll be praying for you...and I'll keep reading.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:40 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
It goes beyond an observance of days - "tabernacles" represents God's dwelling in us - the reality of the New Covenant beyond Pentecost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity