Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Okay, that's what I always thought it meant. But your reply is conflicting with what ILNC said. She said verse 7 refers to the silly women, whereas you are saying it refers to the men (people in general) of verse 2.
The true Biblical method of Bible interpretation is based on the fact that the Bible teaches that the Bible is a spiritual book written in an earthly way. Because it is written by God, every historical event, and every conversation, and every incident recorded in the Bible is absolutely true and trustworthy. However, because these literal, historical statements also must be understood spiritually, the true ultimate message that God is giving to mankind in the Bible will not be understood until the spiritual teaching of the verse being studied has been found. Jesus spoke of this hermeneutic principle in Mark 4:33-34, where we read: And with many such parables spoke He the Word unto them, as they were able to hear it. But without a parable spake He not unto them: and when they were alone, He expounded all things to his disciples. Because the Bible is the Word of God. Christ is the Word of God. And because the Bible is God's book, the Bible student must seek help from the Holy Spirit, God Himself. God alone can bring truth into our hearts (John 16:13). Any spiritual conclusion must be carefully tested by the Bible student to be certain that it is altogether harmonious with any and every other truth the Bible teaches. So, if one is not reading and learning in the Spirit, one is ever learning and yet never able to come to the knowledge of the TRUTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
It should be speaking to "you" as it spoke to me when I read it. The Lord showed me this verse when i kept having discouraging relationships with brothers from Church...in other words...they have a form of Godliness, but they are not exactly the right man for you because they are trying to take advantage. You have no idea how many men in church will tell you... "oh, we are all flesh and God understands...we will be getting married so it doesn't matter, my love", etc... and it is still sin to fornicate...in the end...since it is not a christian relationship (even though both go to church) and it is not approved by the Lord, it will not be blessed, will not work, and you will have offended the Lord only to stay alone and have to pick yourself up again...these are the silly women, in my opinion...when we don't listen to the Lord and listen to the conniving men in church that lead us to sin because we may so badly be looking for a good relationship...like I said...it is a learning verse that speaks differently to everyone...the Spirit of God at work in your life.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:08 PM

595 posts, read 761,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabaster123 View Post
It should be speaking to "you" as it spoke to me when I read it. The Lord showed me this verse when i kept having discouraging relationships with brothers from Church...in other words...they have a form of Godliness, but they are not exactly the right man for you because they are trying to take advantage. You have no idea how many men in church will tell you... "oh, we are all flesh and God understands...we will be getting married so it doesn't matter, my love", etc... and it is still sin to fornicate...in the end...since it is not a christian relationship (even though both go to church) and it is not approved by the Lord, it will not be blessed, will not work, and you will have offended the Lord only to stay alone and have to pick yourself up again...these are the silly women, in my opinion...when we don't listen to the Lord and listen to the conniving men in church that lead us to sin because we may so badly be looking for a good relationship...like I said...it is a learning verse that speaks differently to everyone...the Spirit of God at work in your life.
Amen!
Love this, the silly women looking for love in all the wrong places, always believing a man will make them whole, when only Christ can. And the men, continually thinking of worldly intimacy with a woman instead of intimacy with God. First, Love thy Lord God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. The mind is willing and the body weak. However in Christ, we can do all things, When we are weak, He is strong and only a knee away.
And the true Spirit of God in a woman will tell her, when you have no husband, Isaiah 54:5 For your Maker is your husband-the Lord Almighty is His name-the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth.

God Bless,
Mercy

Old 10-24-2010, 07:11 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
The true Biblical method of Bible interpretation is based on the fact that the Bible teaches that the Bible is a spiritual book written in an earthly way. Because it is written by God, every historical event, and every conversation, and every incident recorded in the Bible is absolutely true and trustworthy. However, because these literal, historical statements also must be understood spiritually, the true ultimate message that God is giving to mankind in the Bible will not be understood until the spiritual teaching of the verse being studied has been found. Jesus spoke of this hermeneutic principle in Mark 4:33-34, where we read: And with many such parables spoke He the Word unto them, as they were able to hear it. But without a parable spake He not unto them: and when they were alone, He expounded all things to his disciples. Because the Bible is the Word of God. Christ is the Word of God. And because the Bible is God's book, the Bible student must seek help from the Holy Spirit, God Himself. God alone can bring truth into our hearts (John 16:13). Any spiritual conclusion must be carefully tested by the Bible student to be certain that it is altogether harmonious with any and every other truth the Bible teaches.So, if one is not reading and learning in the Spirit, one is ever learning and yet never able to come to the knowledge of the TRUTH.
So, how's that working for the protestant world? You folks think you are as spiritually hooked in as the disciples?

What it means is that sometimes not even the disciples knew what Jesus was talking about so Jesus, the authority, had to explain himself. So if you want a accurate interpretation, rely NOT on yourself but the authority. Jesus gave that teaching authority to Peter, the Apostles, and His Church and that specifically resides in the magesterium of the Catholic Church whose truth is given and protected by the Holy Spirit. So you see, there is no more confusion. Now you protestant folks know where to go when your stumped on a verse.

Last edited by juj; 10-24-2010 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity