U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,654,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Alpha only follows the bible just like any good Christian should. Do you have the gift of interpretation and teaching that the bible talks about? if not how do you know you are correct in your interpretation and is scripture contradicting itself by the Holy Spirit allowing you to believe that's all you need?
I would ask the same of you. Not relying on man's interpretation, but rather to seek them out by the Spirit of Truth.

And the first 300 years of Christianity didn't have a 'book' to give them the secrets of the teachings. They had Life, indwelt, in their hearts, and it was reflected in their actions, and deeds.
Ever wondered why they were killed and persecuted by the Romans? Because they refused to bow to Cesaer. So what did Constitine do? He incorporated the belief INTO the system of government. If his revelation were valid, and his heart that moved, then the government of the Roman Empire would have dissolved completely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 05:36 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,254,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
You may not have looked at any man made doctrines prior to posting but those doctrines are already a part of your belief system. They have already been drilled into you by the church. It`s like people from any other culture or country.... they believe as they do because it`s part of their culture and belief system...be it hindu, buddha..muslim..whatever. They bring their pre taught ideas into any study or new idea of belief. Maybe you do it unknowingly but you can`t help it..it`s already there. But you are right, God does know. Just as he knows where my words and belief come from. As you know,I used to be part of the church system just like you. God knows that prayer and study have brought me to where I am now.
As usual, your opinion.
Why does everyone that disagrees with a Biblical Christian perspective always talk like we are brainwashed to believe a certain way? I have been a Christian all of 8 years and have never just taken someones word for whatever I believe. As a matter of fact I like to check behind preachers and confirm what they say. If they are wrong I will confront them but if they are right I will continue to listen and check.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:43 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,654,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Why does everyone that disagrees with a Biblical Christian perspective always talk like we are brainwashed to believe a certain way? I have been a Christian all of 8 years and have never just taken someones word for whatever I believe. As a matter of fact I like to check behind preachers and confirm what they say. If they are wrong I will confront them but if they are right I will continue to listen and check.

Because it seems to some that to think of God being outside of a nice, preconceived box, is to be labeled a heretic. What? Are we not given the gift of reason? Are we not called to question even the simplest of doctrines? Why not? Are we not human beings created in the image of the Most High?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:28 PM

48,321 posts, read 30,290,032 times
Quote:
Why does everyone that disagrees with a Biblical Christian perspective always talk like we are brainwashed to believe a certain way?
Because what you call the Biblical Christian is really a "Biblean" or a "Yahwehan" or "Jehovan" . . . but NOT a Christian . . . you ignore the clear and unambiguous example of Jesus's nature as the TRUE NATURE of God for the contradictory and human traits of Yahweh or Jehovah, IMO.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,955,751 times
Quote:
I think it's because when you start to dig into Christian teachings, there is simply a lot of dogma.

There is a lot of "you MUST believe in this", and lots of the concepts you are required to believe in are very, very questionable. Th religion is just not conducive to critical thinking or dissent of any kind. The religion is based on "faith", which basically is blindly following the teachings.

For thousands of years, people of other religions have critisized Christians as being brainwashed. Here is a passage from a Buddhist book that sums it up very well.

~From the Buddhist perspective, man has created God out of the psychologically deep-rooted idea of self-protection. Walpola Rahula writes that man depends on this creation "for his own protection, safety, and security, just as a child depends on his parent." He describes this as a product of "ignorance, weakness, fear, and desire," and writes that this "deeply and fanatically held belief" for man's consolation is "false and empty" from the perspective of Buddhism. He writes that man does not wish to hear or understand teachings against this belief, and that the Buddha described his teachings as "against the current" for this reason.~

Old 03-26-2009, 09:07 PM

48,321 posts, read 30,290,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
He writes that man does not wish to hear or understand teachings against this belief, and that the Buddha described his teachings as "against the current" for this reason.~
How fortunate for us Christians that Gautama was wrong . . . and the indifference he promoted . . . (in concert with a Maitri (Love) as part of the path toward that indifference) . . . is incompatible and self-contradictory.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Status: "02/11/21: I am fully vaccinated. Yay!!!!!" (set 10 days ago)

24,220 posts, read 24,674,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
What does this mean, haven't I said "ye are gods"?
He was referring to our potential. As sons and daughters of God, we are "gods in embryo." Puppies grow up to be dogs. Kittens grow up to be cats. What do children of God grow up to be? I personally like C.S. Lewis' take on this:

“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were “gods” and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 AM

6,410 posts, read 5,514,761 times
Of course we must consider the first commandment...

Thou shall have no other gods before me.

God acknowledges "other gods" and establishes His soverinty.

I'm good with that.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,955,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
You may not have looked at any man made doctrines prior to posting but those doctrines are already a part of your belief system. They have already been drilled into you by the church. It`s like people from any other culture or country.... they believe as they do because it`s part of their culture and belief system...be it hindu, buddha..muslim..whatever. They bring their pre taught ideas into any study or new idea of belief. Maybe you do it unknowingly but you can`t help it..it`s already there. But you are right, God does know. Just as he knows where my words and belief come from. As you know,I used to be part of the church system just like you. God knows that prayer and study have brought me to where I am now.
As usual, your opinion.
spm62, I don't think you realize how you come across. It appears you throw out anything the church might happen to believe just because the church believes it....not because it's actually inaccurate.

Again, you can believe what you like about what I posted but as far as I can remember I have never sat under a sermon or a teaching on being 'gods'. It's just not something that I've ever been taught.

Well, except Satan wanted to be God and thought, in fact, he could be even greater.

Nuff said for me, if ya know what I mean.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:16 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,077,870 times
Quote:
When you check behind them,what do you use as your source? The bible? Your english translated bible? They are teaching and reading from the same book you are. Which translation or interpretation do you use to check up on them..the same one they are using?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity